• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    My biggest concern is the new brace decision that’s going to be finalized this summer. It would suck if all of a sudden it’s illegal with a brace because it’s too short to SBR in md.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    My biggest concern is the new brace decision that’s going to be finalized this summer. It would suck if all of a sudden it’s illegal with a brace because it’s too short to SBR in md.
    I think you can safely assume they’re going to ignore the hundred thousand plus comments on pistols and will be releasing the updated regulations pretty much as they were proposed. If I still lived in Maryland I’d be looking at doing some kind of collapsing stock with either a pinned muzzle device or suppressor if I wanted one of these. At least have everything measured out for the eForm1. Worse comes to worst, you are ready to go and know how to get it to 29”.

The inevitable lawsuits will be interesting, and hopefully we will win in the end.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Still not a “bad” deal, but for under $800 it was a great deal. Crazy it went up in the hour I was at a dealer trying to work out the transfer. My on fault for trying to keep it local.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I'll give a Range Report here rather than starting a new thread

The Good:
    No malfunctions of any kind. I wasn't loading the mags up to full capacity as that is too much work (until I get a mag loader). Ejection seems pretty consistent which is promising IMO. Was shooting 115 gr and 90 gr hand loads. Accuracy seems acceptable, but requires further testing. Seems to be pretty well made. The machining is nice, and the plastic molding looks well done. The recoil impulse is pretty smooth, so it seems the roller delay thing works. It's pretty ingenious really, but we'll see how it plays out long term.

Note that I was shooting it without a brace or stock, which probably makes some of these things seem more awkward than they would be. Also, the mag release/latch was getting a little smoother as I went.

Gripes:
    1) Safety selector is a little on the small side. The action of it is fine. If it was just a little bigger...
    2) I don't like the ambi mag release. It makes it harder to use on both sides and is a little too clever for it's own good. This is typical for me as I feel most ambi releases are like this. They typically end up with a shorter harder throw compared to a normal mag release. If they made the buttons a little taller that would probably help. The mags also didn't want to lock in on a closed bolt, though this got better with a bit of use.
    3) The trigger is terrible. I've already pulled it out, and with a little fitting on the lower put in a straight bow Geissele 3 gun trigger. The factory trigger has nicely polished engagement surfaces, and looks decent, so not sure why it's so terrible. It's basically an AR trigger. Grand Power typically has great triggers on their pistols, so this surprised me.
    4) The pistol grip is okay but a little slick IMO. I find myself wondering if I'd prefer one of Magpul's offerings. It's molded in to the lower.
    5) The charging handle could be touch bigger. Spring is pretty stiff, and I can only get one finger on it...
    6) There's really not much to hang on to in the front or even a good spot to put your hand. Definitely needs a VFG or some kind of hand stop. Part of the problem is that I was shooting without a brace or stock. Planning on SBRing and putting a stock on it.
    7) The magazines... While they functioned flawlessly, IMO they seem a little cheesy, and the mag latch and release mechanism is kind of suspect. We'll see.

Seems like a long list, but all in all, I do like the gun. With a few tweaks, I think this thing would be a home run.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Thanks so much for the report. I still haven't committed since I got pissed on missing the $773 deal (totally my fault). Did yours come with the newer flat trigger and 3 mags? I've heard the curved mags are much better. Did you get the brace package with yours? The SBR things concerns me because if the brace ruling goes sideways as I expect it to in August I'll have to deal with it as a pistol or figure some non obnoxious way to get it over 29" to meet the MD requirement.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    They seem to be shipping with one curved and two straight metal lipped.

I got no brace because I planned on SBRing it. The Zhukov stock comes out to 29” supposedly.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Some more updates.

The Zhukov stock is not as long as I read. It ends up a couple inches short of 29". I'll get some exact measurements when my SBR stamp arrives and I can fit the stock on the gun. Either going with a muzzle device, and/or a longer recoil pad.

The Stribog font is very very close to Izhitsa Regular in case anybody wanted to do engraving that matched the rest of the gun.

I found some shim washers that are about perfect for fitting an AR trigger to the lower. 4mm ID, 8 mm OD, 0.5 mm thick. The Geissele SD3G I put in seems to be a near perfect fit except that when hand cycling the bolt sometimes it just barely doesn't quite cock the hammer enough to catch the disconnector (some times it does). I am curious to see if this is a non issue when firing as the bolt cycling in that case is more violent. Problem I have now is that with no stock, I can't tell if I am bump firing, or the hammer is following because the gun rocks so much. I have had that problem with the SD3G in the past. If you slowly squeeze that trigger, it's real easy to bump fire. The Geissele SD3G might be a no go in the Stribog. We'll see. Further testing with a stock required.

This thing definitely needs a fore grip. I think an MP5k style grip/handstop would be the ticket. Have to wait for the stamp for that. :(

The curved mag locks in and releases easily using either side of the ambi mag release. The straight mags don't like to lock in or release. The mechanism between left and right is different. The right side pushes it in a sliding motion like an AR catch and it requires more effort to push the release in far enough (needs a taller button). On the left side, the catch is hinged, and pushing on the button swings it out to release. I suspect they revised more than simply feeding characteristics on the latest mags.

AR height sights are a little too tall for it. I am leaning towards getting one of the Primary Arms SLx Cyclops 1x prisms Gen2. On backorder until spring/summer so no instant gratification. They come with a modular mounting system that gives you 8 different height options. I've had really good luck with their stuff and highly recommend.

Last edited:

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Nice find. Lowest price I've seen.
    I think sub $800 is a fair price until Grand Power sorts their issues out. If it came 100% ready to go out of the box then MSRP would be fine. Not paying MSRP for a PCC I know I’m going to have to put money into just so it runs reliably without breaking itself in 1000 rounds. At the moment, the investment is pretty minimal, but I have heard that they are going to a hollow roller pin with a 5000 round duty cycle, which is stupid.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Update:

Form 1 SBRd it. Got the HB Zhukov mounted. Originally I had a butt stock spacer to reach 29”, but switched to a long picatinny rail riser extending out the front and Welded the mounting bolts so it’s permanently attached. I’ll get pics. It extends past the barrel, but plan is to run a suppressor anyways. $30 solution that isn’t terrible.

Can’t have a folding stock with a suppressor, so I pinned the stock open by running a screw in from the front after drilling a hole. It clamps the stock in the open position and blocks operation of the latch button. It’s impossible to remove the screw while the stock is on the gun.

I’ve put a few hundreds rounds through it. Zero malfunctions with the curved mag. Several feed failures with the straight mags. Going to contact the importer and ask if they’ll swap out the straights for curved.

I think it could do with a bit more delay. Going to try and get the euro spec block.

Had to go back to the stock trigger. Couldn’t get any to work with the factory lower. The straight bow Geissele 3 gun was really really close to being a perfect fit. The Stribog looks like it has an AR15 trigger, but it’s not. The pin hole locations are different ever so slightly. Realized this trying to install a cartridge trigger. Also not sure that the geometry of the bolt to the hammer is compatible. The stock trigger is getting better after a few hundred rounds.

Shaping up into a gun that’s a riot to shoot. The suppressor will put it over the top imo.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Just wanted to update this thread. I have well over 1000 rounds through my Stribog, probably closer to 1500. I’m guessing maybe 100 or 150 unsuppressed, the rest suppressed with my Dead Air Wolfman. The K configuration on the Wolfman sounds great with the Stribog, and I think the firearm balances better with it in short configuration. I’m planning on leaving it that way.

So far it’s chugging along, and with the mods I did prior to ever shooting it, have no signs of any damage to the receiver.

I’ve been shooting largely 124gr ammo but there’s been some 115gr in there too. It seems to not mind either, though the action unlocks noticeably earlier with hot 115gr ammo.

The following defensive ammo is reliable in my example:

Apex 118gr Target Sports USA exclusive (the screwdriver bullets)

Hornady Critical Duty 124gr +p

Hornady Handgun Hunter monoflex 115gr +p

Underwood JHP 124gr +p

S&B 124gr JHP.

Basically ammo where the shape of the projectile mimics normal ball ammo seems fine, though there are some exceptions.

The following is not reliable in my particular firearm:

Anything flat nosed
    Haven’t found any 147gr ammo it likes
    Sierra outdoor master 124gr
    Federal HST 124gr +p and 147gr regular and +p

Testing protocol was standardized and best effort for minimal cost: 5 rounds of test ammo in top of mag, 5 in bottom , 3 rounds mixed in among known good 124gr ball. Repeated that test 3x per ammo type unless it caused an FTF, then it was dropped from testing.

I am thinking I’ll probably go with the hornady critical defense and the Apex anti vampire bullets. I still need to chronograph both, though I’m primarily concerned about the critical duty. I want to make sure it’s not exceeding its specifications for velocity. The critical duty projectile is pretty tough so I think I’ll be okay, but still want to verify. If that turns out to be a bust I’ll start looking more seriously at lead free hollowpoint ammo, as the projectiles tend to be tougher.

Overall I really like this firearm and am beginning to trust it enough to use it for self defense as long as I use ammo it likes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom