• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    How do they work? I’ve never seen one before. I have a dewalt impact driver if that will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Secure the rifle in a vise with padded jaws or clamp it down to the bench so it's solidly supported. Any "bounce" here will waste energy and defeat the task.

Make sure the screwdriver bit has a snug fit to the screw. Push the impact tool firmly down into the screw, then whack the back of the tool with a mallet.

An electric impact was mentioned previously. If you have one, give it a try. Same technique - press it down tightly into the screw before you hit the trigger. Otherwise it'll just jump out of the slot and make a mess.

A couple days of soaking in Kroil or mineral spirits is worth the wait.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Secure the rifle in a vise with padded jaws or clamp it down to the bench so it's solidly supported. Any "bounce" here will waste energy and defeat the task.

Make sure the screwdriver bit has a snug fit to the screw. Push the impact tool firmly down into the screw, then whack the back of the tool with a mallet.

An electric impact was mentioned previously. If you have one, give it a try. Same technique - press it down tightly into the screw before you hit the trigger. Otherwise it'll just jump out of the slot and make a mess.

A couple days of soaking in Kroil or mineral spirits is worth the wait.

Thanks for the help! I’ll try to pick one of these up within the next couple of days. I already ordered the gunsmithing screw driver set.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Any time I have ever used one of those I had to give it a helluva wack to get it to work.
    They're usually 1/2 ' drive and have pretty stout spring in there that needs actuated.
    I would be patient and let the Kroil creep in there and do its thing.
    A couple taps on the top of a well fitted screw driver will do the trick with some kroil and finesse.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    In addition to applying penetrating oil if you can apply some heat to the area that will help the oil seep in to the male and female threads. I use a heat gun if all parts are metal but in your case with the wood stock the heat gun will damage the stock before it does any good for the fastener. I would use a hair dryer on high. This should help. I've used this method many times.

Always the possibility that someone put a drop of loktite on it for some reason. I second the application of gentle heat as well. You may also want to mask the wood too just in case your screwdriver slips... might help avoid an inadvertent scratch.

Good luck!

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Always the possibility that someone put a drop of loktite on it for some reason. I second the application of gentle heat as well. You may also want to mask the wood too just in case your screwdriver slips... might help avoid an inadvertent scratch.

Good luck!

Ohhh thanks for the suggestion of the tape, but I don’t think there is loctite in it because palmettos description said they have been in storage for 50+ years

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    1. Screwdriver bit should be sized to fit tight enough that it needs to be lightly hammered into slot.
    2.Get freeze type wart remover, and freeze the threads on the receiver side.

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    I'd try a cordless impact with a tight fitting bit. Part of the problem I've found is that it's hard to hold a screw driver perfectly straight and turn it at the same time. The cordless impact alleviates that. There are other tricks such as screwdrivers you can put a wrench on.

I've had great luck with a Felo 32350 T Handle bit driver, when trying to remove stubborn screws.

https://www.kctoolco.com/felo-32350-magnetic-t-handle-hex-bit-holder-1-4-x-125mm/

Any T handle should work, though.

The shifted handle orientation allows you to ensure the driver stays straight, and allows you to use your full weight to hold the tip into the screw, when you turn it.

So, when paired with a DeWalt Max-Fit Phillips bit, or properly ground slotted bit, the chances of the tip popping out or stripping the screw are greatly minimized, you're able to physically control the amount of torque being applied, and you can feel what's happening between the screwdriver bit tip and the slots in the screw.

(I understand the reasoning behind the suggestion to use an impact, and don't disagree with it. But, personally, I've had bad experience with impact drivers and stuck screws. So, I typically shy away from the impact driver, on the initial few attempts)

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    UPDATE: I have just applied the first bit of the kroil to it on both sides of the screw and it actually seeped in very quickly, I will let it sit over night and reapply it in the morning and tomorrow when I get home from work I will try to loose it, I just got the armorers screw driver set and will check to see if that has bits that fit it nicely. Will update tomorrow.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    1. Screwdriver bit should be sized to fit tight enough that it needs to be lightly hammered into slot.
    2.Get freeze type wart remover, and freeze the threads on the receiver side.

Oh, that last is a great idea.

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    DON"T RUSH IT
    Oil it a couple times a day for several days.
    Oil it, tap on it. Repeat.
    After a day or two give it a few light twists in both directions.
    Oil it , tap on it, repeat.
    Kroil is your friend, but you need to be patient and let it do its job.

Dad used to restore Model A Fords and this was his technique.
    Saw him remove many a bolt/screw that should have never come apart after 80+ years.

j8064 has a great idea with the soldering iron for direct heat application. :thumbsup: I hadn't thought of that one, it wouldn't be a bad idea to add to this.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    6b8224b03153a7d52d551865e5f33909.jpg

720fe2669b253459d5a31b1cc82e685c.jpg

531841f93ad99ad067bb953cb4c6d463.jpg

UPDATE: I put some more kroil on it this morning after letting it soak for about 2.5 days, I use the right size screw driver and gave it 3 firm taps from a rubber mallet to the back of the screw driver and firmly pressed down into the screw as I slowly twisted the screw driver. It came out nicely and I’m either going to order a new screw from liberty tree collectors or file the rough head of the screw down just so it’s not sharp (see original post for photo).

I really really appreciate everyone’s advice. I was quite worried that I was going to destroy the screw and possibly the rifle. So I’m very thankful for that. Now it’s just time to clean it up and take it to the range (will post photos of it all cleaned up).

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Slightly buggered screw heads can be repaired if you have problems finding a replacement. Easy to find with a search on the google.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom