• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    If memory serves, to legally export from Canada a milsurp must have been in Canada for a minimum of 5 years. There are folk here in the US, like LeRoys Big Valley Gun Works in MT, who specialize in importing and don't charge an arm and a leg. However, importing really only makes fiscal sense if you're going to bring in multiple arms. Otherwise the add-ons just kill you (shipping firearms in Canada can be an expensive proposition).
    Here's an old article that's probably still relevant and will give an idea as to what's involved.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    They will never be imported again not only from what combloc said but they also run afoul of our import laws and is considered an "assault weapon." That is because it not only has the detachable mag but also a bayonet lug and muzzle brake which are no-no's. C&R firearms imported mostly nowadays are all either old handguns or bolt guns. Even SKS's have pretty much dried up but they were allowed because of their 10 round max capacity and non-detachable magazine so have been the only C&R semi-automatic rifles to come over that pass our insane import laws.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    it is illegal to import them from russia, it was a 2 way deal its not just on russia's side, and as mentioned you then also have 922R.

what is sad is the g-43's.

a couple years back dennis from empire arms over on gunboards said that they have stacks of them sitting in russia, but no one has been willing to import them because the russians want a huge number per gun and will only sell them in huge lots, and because of that there's no way anyone in the surplus market could afford to put down that kinda money on a bunch of a high dollar item that will sell slowly.

it would take years to turn a profit if at all.

oh and im glad i got my SVT for $600 before the market exploded, it was $500-$700 for a nice one for years, then in a short while they ballooned up to and $800-$1200 gun for an ok one. same goes for all the old wood stock C&R full caliber semi autos, rasheed, hakim, fn-49, she-52,mas-49/56,svt-40 and just about everything has simply exploded in price.

people finally realized how interesting and fun these guns are (though a bit finnicky.).

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    The Russians are also sitting on a bunch of Winchester 1895 muskets in 7.65 x 54R for the same reason, they want too much per rifle.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    It just seems silly to apply the same rules for importing a AK47-74, to a 10 round semi-auto thats 70 years old. I mean its not as if criminals are going to use an SVT to commit a crime. :sad20:

As always, I"m a year or two behind the curve when it comes to firearms. Should have picked up a few back when they were reasonable, but I didn't even know about the rifle then.

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    One way around this crap is for them to be sold to a third party nation and allowed to sit for a number of years. This is done with the MN rifles. They are sold to places like Ukraine then importers in the US buy from them. The Russians know that this stuff is going on but they overlook it for bolt actions. They are more careful about what happens to semi autos. It's been a long while since I looked into this stuff so my facts may not be 100% correct but the overall gist of it is good I think.

This is incorrect in the case of SVT's.

The "Voluntary Restraint Agreement" with the Russians prohibits the importation of firearms originally manufactured in the USSR unless they are on an enumerated list. This list has has been incorporated into current ATF regulations.

Moisins are on the allowed list.

SVT-40's are not.

Because they were originally manufactured in the USSR, you can store those SVT-40's in Canada until H#(( freezes over and they are still not importable into the United States.

The VSA List

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

Attachments

• SVT-40 (Medium).jpg
      SVT-40 (Medium).jpg
      18.3 KB · Views: 567

sean69

May 13, 2012
    Just ran across this post looking for a sling for my SVT, just FYI, yes they are cheap and readily available here in Canada, I got mine in the mail for $325 shipped [Canada post will ship rifles, for about $30]

On the flipside, you can't have a Garand or an Arisaka here for love or money, last mint Garand I saw was asking $2500.00 [$2500.00 not a typo] ~ I have never seen an actual Arisaka up here, only rumors.

Here it is [with a Mosin sling] note the AVT stock :)
    svt-40-002.jpg

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Welcome! We love SVT's here. I wanted to point out it appears you have an SVT38 magazine on your rifle. That's worth some cash.

I also see the bolt carrier is not plumb color (easiest way to tell if it's a refurb). Are all of your serial numbers stamped, or are any electro-penciled?

Bolt carriers in the white generally mean the rifle has not be through a depot refurb. The bulk of the non-refurb rifles tend to have been captured by Finland during the Continuation War (they didn't refurbish any during or after the war). If it's been in Finnish hands, there's probably going to be a boxed SA stamp on the left side of the receiver.

Again, welcome and we hope you decide to hang around the forum.

upacreek

Jun 9, 2012
    Brandywine, MD
    There is no US law that diasallows the import of SVT's from Russia. In fact, the Soviet SVD is on the C&R list and can be imported as well. The problem is the Russians. They won't export them to the US. Can you import one from Canada? I think so but it's ALOT of work. Also, I'm not sure that Marstar will do it. Actually, I'm pretty sure that they won't but you could give them a call. Still, you have to fill out the proper forms and follow the proper procedures. It isn't an easy process.

Russians are probably dumb enough to think Canadians aren't our friends!:lol2:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    falconguy said:
    Sell a Garand? SELL????? OMG! Me don't want SVT-40 that bad. ;)

Any organ, that you have two of, also works.

The second organ is redundant and extra weight to lug around...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JBIRD EST.1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom