• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    Will be taking one of my best buds out shooting shortly for his first time. He's retiring to AZ and is interested in seeing what it's about, in case he wants a HD weapon when he gets out there.

I gave him homework the other day to commit the "Four Rules" to memory.

He'll be over shortly for his "briefing" and to handle a few handguns and get familiar with them before we head out.

Taking my younger son along as well, so that should be good.

Will post on the results later.

Anyone else been geting newbs involved recently??

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Took a buddy from work and his 16 y/o son to Hap today to shoot some Ar's. They had a great time and I had them shooting 2 moa groups at 100 yards with a 4x scope.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Nice. :) Let us know how it went!

It went very well.

We went slow, let him only shoot when he was ready, and he got to try out all I took with.

GP-100 6"
    M&P .40
    SIG P239
    SIG P238

All-in-all, he came away with a good understanding of safety, the process, and he mentioned several times that there is nothing to fear if you're doing it safely.

He is decided he will be looking into revolver options. And maybe a shotgun.

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    Deal with new shooters (men, women and children) every day, and it is a very rewarding experience....:thumbsup: It's fun to hear their comments when they're done shooting for the first time....

Safety is pounded into their heads!!!

"There's no reset button with real guns.... No do-overs...."

Simms65

Oct 24, 2007
    Inwood, WV
    I had a newb out this week. I went through Elementary, Middle, and High School with her, and last week she contacted me out of the blue regarding HD firearms.

We had a good time testing out several 9mm pistols, a revolver, an AR, and a 12ga. She liked the AR the best, but is most seriously considering a 9mm pistol. It feels really good to get new shooters out and enjoying themselves.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Always good to hear about new shooters!

Patty and I were over at 12th Precinct for a Bullseye Clinic and there were a fair number of new shooters in the class.

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    Anyone else been geting newbs involved recently??

Lol, they must hate me at the Carroll County Gun Club in Eldersburg, MD because I have brought about 10 newbies there in the past 3 months. New job means new shooters.

As a result of my tireless efforts (smug grin here), there have been 4 shotguns and 1 pistol purchased by people in my company alone.

I think it is duty of the gun-owner to spread the gun-culture to the masses.

zebramochaman

May 3, 2009
    Damascus, MD
    In the last few weeks I have had a flurry of requests from newbies wanting me to take them to my range. A few weeks ago I took a fellow worker shooting. Today I took him again with his wife. I will be taking two other newbies shooting in the next couple of weeks.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Lol, they must hate me at the Carroll County Gun Club in Eldersburg, MD because I have brought about 10 newbies there in the past 3 months. New job means new shooters.

As a result of my tireless efforts (smug grin here), there have been 4 shotguns and 1 pistol purchased by people in my company alone.

I think it is duty of the gun-owner to spread the gun-culture to the masses.

Very cool.

The only non-shooter in my immediate area at work is so anti as to be moronic. He's also a smug know-it-all. Oh yeah... and unlikeable.

:lol2:

In reality, my fishing around at work actually uncovered a number of closet shooters, rather than potential converts.

Big_Leo

May 8, 2011
    Took my little sister to the range for the first time in feb. She's hooked solid. Now I can't throw a gun in the truck without her noticing and getting a smile on her face. Might end up buying her a .22 for her birthday in may.

Sharpster

Jul 22, 2010
    York, PA
    Been taking my girlfriend. She was nervous the first time having never been around guns. After the second trip to the range she was asking me about different calibers and seeming hungry for knowledge, she even mentioned she'd be interested in purchasing a "cute compact gun" :rolleyes:. All it takes to get someone who is basically anti-gun to become pro-gun is a little knowledge and hands on training.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I take newbies to the range every time I find a willing one. I also take shooters who express an interest in purchasing a gun similar to what I own to the range to try mine out.

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    I also take shooters who express an interest in purchasing a gun similar to what I own to the range to try mine out.

This is my strategy. Going to do exactly that this weekend. Taking a neighbor/friend who is interested in cowboy guns out to shoot a lever gun and single action revolver.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I have been breaking in a bunch of newby trap shooters at the AGC.

Sad story though...
    Introduced a guy to trap.
    He wanted a semi-auto, so I sold him mine.
    He shot a 20 first time out.
    I want that gun back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom