• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Anybody that wants to shoot trap. I'm your guy. PM me and meet me at the AGC or Loch Raven. Bring the shells and pay for your birds, and if you don't have a suitable gun, I'll loan you a gun. If I get better at Skeet and 5-Stand I'll introduce you to that too.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I probably take on average, 10 people a year to the range. women are the best students.

I love teaching women, especially the pretty ones:)

However, with trap it is more difficult for me to teach gun mount. It's harder for many girls to find the pocket for the stock mount and, it seems that LOP is more critical for girls than boys.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    I take a new shooter (or shooters) to the range at least once a month...spreading the good word. Knowledge of gun safety is critical! I believe it is every American's duty to know how to safely operate a rifle and a pistol. This is especially critical for young people because if they're at a friend's house and a weapon appears--they need to know it's not a toy, and they need to know how to safely handle it, if necessary...and if necessary--leave the premises. The vast majority of non-shooters I've invited to the range are now gun owners themselves, and they enjoy it. As was stated above, many people are "anti-gun" strictly due to ignorance and unfamiliarity.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Good stuff.
    I'm taking a few guys that haven't shot in years. Ones bringing his teen son. The adults are all in the process of getting permits, so they want to get back into shooting.

In the last couple years I guess I've shot with about a dozen total novices, it's always a pleasure.

Tronski

May 27, 2012
    Lutherville md
    Lol, they must hate me at the Carroll County Gun Club in Eldersburg, MD because I have brought about 10 newbies there in the past 3 months. New job means new shooters.

As a result of my tireless efforts (smug grin here), there have been 4 shotguns and 1 pistol purchased by people in my company alone.

I think it is duty of the gun-owner to spread the gun-culture to the masses.

I agree! Most of the people I shoot with were introduced by me. If you want more people involved its up to us to share our time.

defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    I take a new shooter (or shooters) to the range at least once a month...spreading the good word. Knowledge of gun safety is critical! I believe it is every American's duty to know how to safely operate a rifle and a pistol. This is especially critical for young people because if they're at a friend's house and a weapon appears--they need to know it's not a toy, and they need to know how to safely handle it, if necessary...and if necessary--leave the premises. The vast majority of non-shooters I've invited to the range are now gun owners themselves, and they enjoy it. As was stated above, many people are "anti-gun" strictly due to ignorance and unfamiliarity.

+1

I was incredibly anti-gun until I actually shot one. I'm talking dont even wanna hold or see a bullet anti-gun. Then i went to the range with my neighbor.

Now I have a C&R, 5 guns, and an empty bank account. I blame it on my wife.

This was 2 months ago....I cant wait to be proficient enough to be able to teach/bring new people into this sport!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    Outstanding! The more you shoot, the better you get, and the more "automatic" the fundamentals become. There's really no shortcuts or "tricks" to safe, on-target shooting. It's like playing a musical instrument, or swinging a golf club: a lot of it involves muscle memory. And, like playing an instrument or swinging a golf club, you have to make your practice sessions as productive as possible. The way to do this is to focus on the fundamentals *every time* you shoot. The idea is to develop habits that become ingrained and make the sub-parts of the process (e.g., safe handling, stance, grip, sight picture, breath control, trigger control, follow-through) all synchronize the same way every time you squeeze a trigger. That makes putting a bullet in the 10 ring a repeatable process.

If you don't have a 22 pistol (revolver or semi-auto), I always encourage shooters to get one to practice with. The reason is accurate and safe shooting even a light-kicking 22 pistol requires the exact same fundamentals as shooting a 44 magnum. You can shoot a 22 all day long without your hand stinging, and they are ridiculously cheap to shoot using promo/bulk ammo, which is around 4 cents per round. Compare that to cheap 38 special ammo--at about 30 cents per round.

If you need to feel that big-boy kick, take your larger pistol(s) too, and put eight or 10 rounds through them at the end of your 22 session at the range to remind you what you need to do to reacquire your target after each shot.

trippinout

Nov 12, 2008
    Fort Meade
    Have taken 2 people to the range that were new to shooting. One was absolutely terrified of semi auto pistols but she shot rifles all the time growing up. Fixed that problem and she actually got into revolvers (liked their ease of maint.)

The other was a military person who got slide bit and the RSO kicked her off the line for "bleeding all over his range". Got her to stop fearing that with proper grip and fixed her left eye dominance/right handed shooter. Was important for her to fix that problem because she was deploying with SEALS. Heard she was enjoying herself and becoming quite the shot thanks the "specialized" training she was getting. Told her she had the greatest luck ever! She got to shoot, scuba, repel, fast rope, and HALO WITHOUT having to go thru BUDs! Every guys WET DREAM!!!

Anyway, have another person that I am taking shooting in about a month. Heard that she had some issues last time and gave up. We will get her going and add another to the ranks.

Diogenes

Roll Tide!
    Apr 9, 2011
    Paducah, KY
    took a buddy of mine to the NRA not long ago. Brought an AK, a XD45 and a hi-power. He kind of pussed out after one trigger pull on the AK. Got all shaky and jittery and kept saying, "I just don't think i can do this." I didn't know what to say. He had shown no signs of limp wristedness prior to this.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    I take newbs the range most times I go....it is enjoyable and I'm a nazi on safety! A couple of weeks ago, I went with a buddy who is an ex marine...wow! How refreshing to go with a knowledgable shooter!

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    havent taken a new shooter but taking my wife to the range is like taking a new shooter every time.

I need to get her hooked up with Patty for some training

Mr H

Banana'd
    havent taken a new shooter but taking my wife to the range is like taking a new shooter every time.

I need to get her hooked up with Patty for some training

Ditto... on both counts!!

:D

We're even giving up our family membership at On Target, because she doesn't go enough to warrant it. Probably just go with 'individual' now, and if she goes, she goes.

Or, use that money to join with AGC.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    took a buddy of mine to the NRA not long ago. Brought an AK, a XD45 and a hi-power. He kind of pussed out after one trigger pull on the AK. Got all shaky and jittery and kept saying, "I just don't think i can do this." I didn't know what to say. He had shown no signs of limp wristedness prior to this.

You should start a new shooter out on a .22. Much less intimadating than a larger gun. You don't want to scare them off. If after shooting the .22 for a while, you can pull out the AK and take a shot yourself. If this does not scare them you can allow them to give it a try. If there is anyone here that would like an introductory range trip around Cumberland, let me know.

Diogenes

Roll Tide!
    Apr 9, 2011
    Paducah, KY
    You should start a new shooter out on a .22. Much less intimadating than a larger gun. You don't want to scare them off. If after shooting the .22 for a while, you can pull out the AK and take a shot yourself. If this does not scare them you can allow them to give it a try. If there is anyone here that would like an introductory range trip around Cumberland, let me know.

he was interested in going because he wanted to shoot an AK. He's a grown man. He said he had shot a pistol before years ago, but never a rifle. I don't know if he would have come out otherwise.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Diogenes, that was not an admonishment, just a little instructional advice. I meant no offense to you. If their request is as specific as your friends was, you can tell them that you want them to run a few cheap rounds out of a .22 to make sure that they have the basics down before you move on to the gun that shoots the more expensive ammo. Just a suggestion.

Diogenes

Roll Tide!
    Apr 9, 2011
    Paducah, KY
    Diogenes, that was not an admonishment, just a little instructional advice. I meant no offense to you. If their request is as specific as your friends was, you can tell them that you want them to run a few cheap rounds out of a .22 to make sure that they have the basics down before you move on to the gun that shoots the more expensive ammo. Just a suggestion.

no offense taken. np :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom