• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    I got wide mouth pint and quarts at TSC in Easton, Wal Mart was fairly picked clean. Good luck.
    Easton Hardware usually has some. Particularly the smaller jars. They also have the "tools", funnel, tongs etc. We got an enamel granite ware immersion canner pot there too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    WM in Milford, DE was completely stocked last night with canning supplies. They also had an end cap full of more jars.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Three meat tubs of frozen tomatoes cooking down to can today in the rain. I’m enjoying the dry garage and mine and my daughters dog have been enjoying the rain

Attachments

• IMG_2014.jpeg
      IMG_2014.jpeg
      350.8 KB · Views: 53
    • IMG_2015.jpeg
      IMG_2015.jpeg
      406.3 KB · Views: 50

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Muscadine/blackberry and few rasberries jam. I didnt get much muscadines so put some blackberry in and its really good! I got 3 pints and 3 half pints

1000004277.jpg

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Three tubs overflowing in tomatoes to one tub canned. Not sure I’m doing tomatoes again unless SHTF and looking for more stuff sold in jars. Just feels like a lot of work for low return. Did this mainly for my daughter. I grow peppers mostly

All day doing this and the time growing and picking she doesn’t see. This IS NOT cost effective figuring your time also

Attachments

• 71727859987__56BE4671-5BD2-4DE6-84F7-29A08B44B412.jpeg
      71727859987__56BE4671-5BD2-4DE6-84F7-29A08B44B412.jpeg
      358.6 KB · Views: 48

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    Maybe not cost effective if you figure the time involved but I find it satisfying to have my home made delicious tomato soup/sauce to use all winter. I give a bunch of it to family members as well.

IMG_0297.jpeg

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Put a bunch of peppers up to make my first run at hot sauces. Saved a bunch in the freezer and added fresh peppers for the bacteria needed. Those are 1/2 gallon jars.

Left is all cayenne, center all jalapeno, right is sweet red on bottom, bunch of ghost peppers in and green sweet on top, then bunch of jalapeno to top it off.

Attachments

• IMG_2048.jpeg
      IMG_2048.jpeg
      281.5 KB · Views: 51

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Tried canning chili for and my wife's recipe is particularly thick, which makes it good. It seems that is bad for canning as thick bubbles up and foams more. I spent all day and 10# of meat and put 14 quarts through the pressure canner and not a single one sealed. They boiled over and kept the lids from sealing. The FB ladies on the Canning group said to thin it out. I don't want it thin, so dumped two jars into 2 quart tupperwares and frozen them to be vacuum sealed. Surprised by this, but it is what it is.

Canned meat, soups, stews and stroganoff, but not canning chili unless it runny.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Tried canning chili for and my wife's recipe is particularly thick, which makes it good. It seems that is bad for canning as thick bubbles up and foams more. I spent all day and 10# of meat and put 14 quarts through the pressure canner and not a single one sealed. They boiled over and kept the lids from sealing. The FB ladies on the Canning group said to thin it out. I don't want it thin, so dumped two jars into 2 quart tupperwares and frozen them to be vacuum sealed. Surprised by this, but it is what it is.

Canned meat, soups, stews and stroganoff, but not canning chili unless it runny.
    Try increasing the headspace, put less in the jar, and/or drawing a vacuum before processing to get the air out first.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    First batch was 1" and I did 1 1/2" on the second batch and it all failed also. Filling it 3/4 full seems stupid. Both my wife and I agreed, we like the chili thick, do not want it thin, and it will just be something we only make fresh. lots of reduced head space and thinning it out were the comments and 3/4 a jar is making two smaller bowls for a split meal between the two of us. Not quite what I was looking for.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Opened a jar of tomatoes 1 1/2 years old last week and it was still good. I still have 4 more large jars to go through from that year. This year we just diced and froze tomatoes.

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    My mom use to can our harvest as well, she used the wide mouth jars, for recipes she never wrote them down but when I asled her she said she just use to look up the recipes online so I started looking up recipes and tried some from the preserving bags on Wal-Mart's packages and what I found online, we will see what I think as I chip into the jars.
    I did pickles, pickled jalapenoes, canned peaches, canned tomatoes, made some hot sauce and ketchup

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    This thread is making me hungry! So I just opened a pint jar of my canned Chili Con Carne (with beans) which was canned in March 2022. I don't exactly remember how loose this chili was when it was first made and canned, but this is THICK, and still delicious. The recipe I followed is from the USDA.

The inside of the jar and the lid shows that there was a lot of bubbling up, and some of the liquid may have syphoned out of the jar, but it was well sealed after 75 minutes of processing @10 lbs. pressure and cooling. I use an All-American pressure canner on our kitchen glass-top stove, and over time have learned to dial the heat down to where the weight on the canner vent only jiggles no more than every 20-40 seconds. Also have learned the hard way NOT to touch anything including the weight, until the pressure gauge goes down to ZERO all on its own. Releasing pressure too early has lead to liquid syphoning out of the jars before they have sealed. I also think I probably snug the lids down just a little bit tighter (but still "finger tight") than when I'm water-bath canning pickles or jellies.

Also downstairs are several pint jars of plain (no bean) Chili (Ball Blue Book recipe), which also look very thick with no liquid on the top.

Both recipes used ground meat.

IMG_3040.jpeg
    IMG_3043.jpeg
    IMG_3045.jpeg

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Today's labors yielded six half-pint jars each of Chocolate-Raspberry Jam, and Mango-Jalapeño Jelly with a kiss of Carolina Reaper pepper :whoa:. About half of these will be family Christmas gifts.

IMG_3070.jpeg

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    One more day... and more jars of candied jalapeños (aka Cowboy Candy). Also did a Chocolate-Cherry Jam, and Apricot-Habanero Jelly a couple days ago with jalapeños, and infused both of them with a little of the Carolina Reaper peppers for a little more zing. In our household jellies and jams have to hold their own up against lots of peanut butter on rye, and on bagels with lots of cream cheese, so the more zing the better.

We had some of the brine left over from today's Cowboy Candy batch, and used it as a marinade for a bunch of chicken wings before air-frying them, which turned out great. The sugar-heavy brine caramelized on the wings beautifully in the air fryer... 24 minutes at 360 (shaken and turned every 8-10 minutes), then finished for 6 minutes at 390 degrees.

IMG_3091.jpeg

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    My last canning project for the foreseeable future was today's Apricot Chutney. It'll go great with a sharp cheddar on crackers or a baguette. It was my first time for this recipe. As a homebrewer I am much more comfortable using recipes which have more precise amounts than "2 medium onions" and "two tart apples". But so far I haven't come down with botulism and I guess the safety zone is wide enough to cover what are probably minor variances.

IMG_3101.jpeg

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    My last canning project for the foreseeable future was today's Apricot Chutney. It'll go great with a sharp cheddar on crackers or a baguette. It was my first time for this recipe. As a homebrewer I am much more comfortable using recipes which have more precise amounts than "2 medium onions" and "two tart apples". But so far I haven't come down with botulism and I guess the safety zone is wide enough to cover what are probably minor variances.

View attachment 440751

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom