• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtnwisdom

Sep 9, 2012
    Sparrows Point
    Job may have me moving to MD in 2014. According to this OP, I cannot bring in any 'banned' firearms that I legally own that were acquired after Oct 1, 2013? I was heart set on acquiring many firearms that are subsequently on the banned 'assault weapons' list prior to my move, and want to make sure things are legit before these purchases. I would hate making these purchases (post Oct 1 outside of MD), only to find that I am unable to continue to possess them during my move. I understand I need to register all weapons I enter the state with, but I do not see the relevant wording that says, that my property is restricted even though I havent entered the state yet. Side question, I have some unfinished lowers and 80%s I am planning on making into a AR pistol, I believe I can bring the lowers and 80s in, but will not be able to finish manufacturing into the pistol, due to it being a 'clone' of a "bushmaster pistol"... can anyone confirm?

moving to establish residency requires that you register those firearms within 90 days, and those firearms that are banned are exactly that; banned. You may not bring them with you no matter when they were acquired. Oct 1 was the difference between 'regulated' and now banned.

Neuromorph

Oct 19, 2013
    I dont see a 'banned' list in the text of the actual document, only a 'regulated firearm' list. Since I can apparently bring in and register 'regulated firearms' during a move... page 52.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    I dont see a 'banned' list in the text of the actual document, only a 'regulated firearm' list. Since I can apparently bring in and register 'regulated firearms' during a move... page 52.

The point the previous poster was making is that the ONLY regulated firearms are now handguns. ALL previously regulated rifles (long guns) are now BANNED.

The rifles that appear on regulated firearms lists are now banned. They are listed in this document in the footnotes.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    moving to establish residency requires that you register those firearms within 90 days, and those firearms that are banned are exactly that; banned. You may not bring them with you no matter when they were acquired. Oct 1 was the difference between 'regulated' and now banned.

Not exactly correct. If someone legally purchased a firearm on the banned list, outside the state, prior to Oct 1, they can bring them in to the state.

If they are establishing residency, and one would have to look at what MARYLAND considers being a resident, you have to register those now banned firearms, that were purchased prior to Oct 1.

If an out of state person bought firearms on the MD banned list AFTER Oct 1, they cannot bring them into the state at all.

whitelightning777

May 20, 2013
    missed guns

Damn, well atleast they missed the AR-10.....

They also missed the VZ-58, Hakim and Remington Woods Master. (10 shot magazine available from Brownell's). These guns are all still cash and carry to any 18 tear old.

I say get them while you can, before prices go through the roof.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    What if I am .mil stationed in MD? Can I purchase a handgun in my home state and bring it back into MD??

I would think so, since federal law allows you to make such a purchase as I understand it. But you should check with the Maryland State Police to see how they view it under the new law.

In the material on the Handgun Qualification License, the Maryland State Police website states: "Please Note: Residency exemptions have been made for active military personnel and their spouses." https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

However, there is no such notation on the MSP page dealing with the requirement that new residents register their regulated firearms within 90 days of establishing residency. If you never establish Maryland residency then presumably this would not concern you.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    I think the handgun still needs to be on the roster but you shouldnt have an issue.

The Handgun Roster law applies to transfers to Maryland residents, within Maryland. If he is actually a legal resident of another state, and purchases a handgun legally within his state of residence (not Maryland) and then brings it here, the Handgun Roster has no application.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Previously posted in another thread. It was specific to date of ownership of an AR, but the first sentence of the response answers the question about registration of regulated firearms vis-à-vis active duty military.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=2812385#post2812385

To: msp.Licensing@maryland.gov
    Sent: 10/25/2013 10:44:52 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
    Subj: Question re: Active Duty Military with orders to MD

I have a friend who is active duty military with orders to MD. He purchased an AR-15 after 1 OCT 13 at his current duty station in Texas. He is a permanent resident of Texas and does not intend to establish residency in MD for his three year tour.

Is he allowed to bring his AR-15 when he conducts his household move to MD? If so, will he be required to voluntary register it since he will not be establishing residency in MD?

SB281 seems unclear if there are exceptions for active duty military possessing what are now considered "banned" long rifles that were purchased after 1 OCT 13.

MSP response:
    "He would not need to register any firearms as long as he's not establishing permanent residency. Banned Assault Weapons are prohibited if they were purchased after September 30, 2013."

Cpl. Jason Edwards
    Corporal Jason Edwards Maryland State Police
    Licensing Division
    Firearms Registration Section
    1111 Reisterstown Road
    Pikesville, Maryland 21208
    Office: 410-653-4500
    Fax: 410-486-6360

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads