• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Well got my first AR, started with the Bushmaster XM 15. Nothing fancy, just figured I needed to start with the basics and build from there. Looking for suggestions on accesories. Main purpose will be home defense and plinking.

Nice!

Get a sling, a bcm gunfighter charging handle, and lots of ammo.

Samuel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 12, 2012
    What's with the BCM Gunfighter charging handles? Are they really all that? I never had a problem with the milspec handle so it seems like snake oil to me but I'm only a recreational user.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    What's with the BCM Gunfighter charging handles? Are they really all that? I never had a problem with the milspec handle so it seems like snake oil to me but I'm only a recreational user.

They are all that. . .and a bag of chips :lol2:

The BCM is great for charging the gun with 1 hand, super smooth.

Sorry I just had to.

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER

They are certainly worth the investment. A minor thing that does make a big difference whether a rec or pro shooter.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN

They do come on handy. I don't have one at the moment but have used them. They are nice.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The design puts less strain on the release lever roll pin if you use your off hand to charge the weapon. At least that's what is advertised.

I put them on mine even though I'm just a rec shooter. It's fun to pimp my ride.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Well got my first AR, started with the Bushmaster XM 15. Nothing fancy, just figured I needed to start with the basics and build from there. Looking for suggestions on accesories. Main purpose will be home defense and plinking.

My advice, keep it exactly the way it is. Unless any part of the furniture is uncomfortable. Otherwise shoot away and get good with it!

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    What's with the BCM Gunfighter charging handles? Are they really all that?

Several practical benefits:

The primary benefit (of any extended charging handle) is a wider latch that facilitates 1-handed operation.

Second, the wider latch allows easier operation when mounted under optics, in particular rail-mounted optics such as an Aimpoint or ACOG.

Third benefit is the design of the handle T. The BCM design, along with some others, reinforce the T such that it is less prone to snap off or damage the pin by directing the force applied down the shaft as opposed to right at the weakest point of the bend.

The result of this, however, is potentially more force applied to the top left (looking from above) portion of the handle stem against the receiver, depending on how you typically operate it. Be sure to lube this area, I like to use a thin smear of high-temp wheel bearing grease.

If all you plan to do is plink on a static range with the A2 handle, frankly, I see no reason to put money into the BCM charging handle. Put that $40-some bucks towards formal marksmanship training and improve your skills. It's like the cyclist who buys a $50 carbon fiber water bottle rack that is 2oz ligther than the standard aluminum one, yet they are 20lbs overweight.

Regarding accessories, definitely need a sling. A sling to the rifle is like the holster to a pistol, perhaps more, because it can be used to improve stability. I'd stick with the stock GI trigger for now, upgrade to a target trigger later when your skills require it. I'm assuming you have a front sight tool, you'll have to decide what range you want to zero at for target shooting. There are many ways to zero (25, 50, 100, 200, 300..) and each has benefits and drawbacks, depending on the ranges and targets you will be shooting.

If you intend to use it for HD (consider your home construction and where those rounds could go) you need some sort of illumination, and that mission may also determine your zero. It takes a lot of practice to, in the heat of the moment, remember and employ the proper hold over for accurate hits at 5 meters with a rifle zero set at 300 meters. Personally, I'd recommend a shotgun or handgun for HD.

Oh, and this is the AR-15 picture thread, so....

railed.jpg

Agree with swinkur below... I am a big fan of my VTAC 2-point sling. SOE makes a good single-point as well, but it isn't nearly as useful for providing support, possibly better for carry. Stay away from 3-point. Slings are like shoes, be sure to try them on wearing the right type of socks (for the sling, the type of clothing you'll typically wear when shooting).

msalvas

May 14, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    What's your opinion on the optic? I'm sure you're aware of the name that utg has on quality...

I haven't gotten out to shoot it yet but I read some reviews and didn't see anything too negative. I'll report back when I get out to shoot it around Christmas. Why, what have you heard/read?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    I haven't gotten out to shoot it yet but I read some reviews and didn't see anything too negative. I'll report back when I get out to shoot it around Christmas. Why, what have you heard/read?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

I just mostly hear utg isn't the best. Don't have any first hand experience, was just curious.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    My .300 Blackout

Here's the breakdown so far

Anvil Arms custom etched MDShooters AR15 stripped lower
    DPMS lower parts kit
    Tapco stock tube and buffer
    Magpul STR Stock
    Smith & Wesson Complete .300blk upper with quad rail and low pro gas block
    Magpul MOE Grip