• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Some of the Colts have a square. Each different mark identifies the vendor that provided the forgings. The "VP"...Verified Proof...is on handguns from Colt...the final acceptance mark by the last inspector.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Some of the Colts have a square. Each different mark identifies the vendor that provided the forgings. The "VP"...Verified Proof...is on handguns from Colt...the final acceptance mark by the last inspector.

Those are literally the only two markings on the upper unless i pull the hand guards. Anything else i should look for?

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Just got the handguard that I ordered back in August to finish this. Wanted a 16" Lightweight AR308 to pull double duty between 3gun heavy and playing around suppressed out to a few hundred yards. Wanted to keep a full mass BCG/buffer and avoid fragile lightweight parts to keep it durable and reliable just in case 2020 is just a preview for 2021. It's kinda tough to get under 8# without going to Low mass bolt/buffer, but managed to get under 7.5# before optics, so I'm happy.

Aero M5 upper, lower, BCG, LPK
    Faxon 16" mid gas (technically AR10 carbine) big gunner profile barrel
    AR10 carbine length gas tube / SLR clamp on adjustable block
    Odinworks O2 lite 15.5" rail
    Griffin 2 port brake(adapter for my Cans)
    Raptor Charging handle
    Larue MBT 2s trigger
    Battle Arms ambi/short throw selector
    Armaspec extended mag release/AR10 mag catch
    2A AR10/A5 buffer tube, H3 buffer/AR10 spring
    Fortis K1 end plate/castle nut
    Magpul Moe grip and slim line stock
    Topped with a Vortex PST2 1-6 in a Larue CAN mount.

So far dead nuts reliable with a variety of ammo with and without the can. Seems to group 2MOA or less, not as good as my precision M5, but great by AR10/AR308 standards. Recoil is pretty light and followup shots are fast despite the full weight internals, should do well in 3 gun.

Does my rifle look fat to you? No honey, it looks good!

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011

Attachments

• 1F672AE0-06A9-40A1-A2F3-4FD4B3CFE15C.jpg
      1F672AE0-06A9-40A1-A2F3-4FD4B3CFE15C.jpg
      32.5 KB · Views: 379

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    C MP C = Colt, Magnetic particle inspected, Proof fired, chrome Bore

Well all this is decent news. Any idea on realistic price point? Not 2020 ass ramming or 1975 give away. Just a realistic fair price point.

Can be with PSA BCG/CH or without.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    Well all this is decent news. Any idea on realistic price point? Not 2020 ass ramming or 1975 give away. Just a realistic fair price point.

Can be with PSA BCG/CH or without.

Sent you a PM, it's going to come down to the bore since it looks like a replacement Colt M16A1 barrel, not an original 602.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    C MP C = Colt, Magnetic particle inspected, Proof fired, chrome Bore

That means it went through the MilSpec testing requirements. An awful lot from others do not. That doesn't necessarily mean the non-MiSpec marked parts are inferior...just that they didn't go through the inspection process which is costly...one reason why Colts cost more...they go through the inspection process.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    That means it went through the MilSpec testing requirements. An awful lot from others do not. That doesn't necessarily mean the non-MiSpec marked parts are inferior...just that they didn't go through the inspection process which is costly.

Yep, i'd bet all Colt barrels would have similar build quality, it's just .gov wanted to make extra sure it met some specific requirements.

JayElliott

Nov 20, 2020
    Chesapeake Beach
    What optics do you have in there?
    Overall opinion of the quality of the scope?

I have a Colt very similar and looking to install optics but haven’t decided on what to install.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Won’t let me upload the bore pics but it’s nice.

I love learning this chit and thanks for PM link for me to study!!

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Does my rifle look fat to you? No honey, it looks good!

LoLz Hard to consider an AR308 really "lightweight", but it's a lot more fun to shoot standing than the 12# build I did a couple years ago, not much different in feel than a 16" AR15, except for the giant BOOM when shooting hot ammo. Got this AR under 5# before optics and mag, lightweight internals and a giant brake, it's like shooting a toy, fun as hell on 3 gun bullet hose stages.

20190122_144808.jpg

20190123_130910.jpg

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I have an Armalite AR-10 Carbine and a Colt LE901SE...compared to a 5.56 AR they're not lightweight but compared to my Springfield SAR-48 they're definitely in the lightweight class. Recoil management is better even with the less weight.

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    It’s a Magpul bipod. It’s nothing fancy nor the best, but it’s functional and lightweight enough for this kind of build. It’s roughly $100.

A spring loaded bipod would provide a better platform if you’re looking for a serious bipod.

Thanks. It looks like it'll do the job and not too heavy. I'll study on it.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have a couple of inexpensive ARs, both HBAR. the one was a Del Ton riddle build kit, the other I put on an 80. I ended up moving that red dot (Vortex Strikefire II) Bank a couple of notches. That's where the placement was on the photo on the Vortex box, bit I always felt it was a bit too far forward.

I've got a Primary Arms prism 3X in a box for Christmas that's going to go on one of them, and I'm planning a couple more builds.

Attachments

• 9E04B60B-775B-495C-9E05-8A0FB0FBF666.jpg
      9E04B60B-775B-495C-9E05-8A0FB0FBF666.jpg
      83.4 KB · Views: 587

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads