The Opposition to Obama and Gun-Control is (Rapidly?) Growing.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Al Norris

Spud Head
    Dec 1, 2010
    Rupert, Idaho
    Jay Blackwell, one of the Examiner.com civil rights reporters has taken on the task of reporting the national opposition to the Obama Administrations efforts to create new gun-bans in the wake of the horrific Sandy Hook shooting. The list below is taken from; Sheriffs will not enforce Obama gun control laws; List reasons for defiance - Long Island Civil Liberties | Examiner.com. I've checked his links and verified his compilation (but don't take my word or Jay's - do your own research).

• Oregon:
      Linn County Sheriff Tim Mueller
      Douglas County Sheriff John Hanlin
      Baker County Sheriff Mitchell Southwick
      Josephine County Sheriff Gil Gilbertson
      Crook County Sheriff Jim Hensley
      Coos County Sheriff Craig Zanni
      Curry County Sheriff John Bishop
      Grant County Sheriff Glenn Palmer
      Washington County Sheriff Pat Garrett​
    • Colorado:
      El Paso County Colorado Sheriff Terry Maketa
      Larimer County Sheriff Justin Smith
      Mesa County Sheriff Stan Hilkey
      Weld County Sheriff John Cooke​
    • Alabama:
      Madison County Sheriff Blake Dorning
      Morgan County Sheriff Ana Franklin (Uncomfirmed)
      Houston County Sheriff Andy Hughes​
    • California:
      El Dorado County Sheriff John D’Agostini
      Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims
      Stanislaus County Sheriff Adam Christianson​
    • Missouri:
      Johnson County Sheriff Charles Heiss
      Lawrence County Sheriff Brad DeLay
      Livingston County Sheriff Steve Cox​
    • Arizona:
      Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio
      Yavapai County Sheriff Scott Mascher​
    • Florida:
      Martin County Sheriff Bill Snyder
      Bay County Florida Sheriff Frank McKiethen​
    • Georgia:
      Cherokee County Sheriff Roger Garrison
      Gilmer County Sheriff Stacy Nicholson​
    • Idaho:
      Canyon County, Idaho Sheriff Kieran Donahue
      Madison County Sheriff Roy Klingler​
    • Ohio:
      Boone County Sheriff Michael A. Helmig
      Clermont County Sheriff A.J. Rodenberg​
    • South Carolina:
      Charleston County Sheriff Al Cannon
      Spartanburg County Sheriff Chuck Wright​
    • Kansas:
      Johnson County Sheriff Frank Denning​
    • Kentucky:
      Jackson County Sheriff Denny Peyman​
    • Minnesota:
      Pine County Sheriff Robin Cole​
    • Nevada:
      Humboldt County Sheriff Ed Kilgore​
    • Texas:
      Smith County Sheriff Larry Smith​
    States where lawmakers are proposing "non-enforcement" legislation:
    • Alaska
    • Mississippi
    • New Mexico
    • Tennessee
    • Utah
    • Wyoming
    Utah Sheriffs take stance on gun control | FOX13Now.com – Salt Lake City, Utah News & Weather from KSTU Television FOX 13. The Utah Sheriff's Assoc. has written a strongly worded letter to Obama. Twenty-eight of the 29 Sheriff's signed the letter - Jim Winder of Salt Lake County did not sign. There was a strong hint that the Sheriffs thought that confiscation would be persued, and vowed to stop such, even to the point of lethal force. Possibly why Sheriff Winder would not sign the letter.

Adding to the list: First in the Nation: Beaufort County, NC Passes Gun Law Nullification Resolution – Tenth Amendment Center Blog (see this thread: First in the Nation: Beaufort County, NC Passes Gun Law Nullification Resolution)

Granted that at this point, it is all a symbolic gesture. However, if it spreads far and wide enough, even such symbolism takes on the air of legitimacy.

Last edited:

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Of course the article starts with a picture of the biggest scariest gun they can find.

:omg:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    How about Maryland? wait for it.... wait for it

Wait for it.........

Crap.. no takers.

Does that truly surprise you?? ;)

In this state, a stance like that would be professional suicide for any LEO that has to be re-elected. While it'd be nice to see a stand from our own sheriff's, I can understand why they'd keep their mouths shut.

Fight or flight guys, what are you going to do? :cool:

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    And don't assume that all the dems in the senate and house are in lock step with this

Obama has a problem. While he doesn't have to worry about reelection, the members Of the house and senate that he needs to push his anti 2A wishes, do have to worry about reelection. Most of them know that history shows the fastest way to get booted is to touch the 2A rail. Ask Al Gore. Of course a few are untouchable in their very left districts, many are not and probably not willing to fall on Obama's sword.

PharaohF4

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2010
    First off I would like to say I thing this public opposition is a step (maybe small) in the right direction.

My question is why do Sheriffs vs "regular police" are the ones that can stand up against the laws? Is it because they are elected officials verses hired government workers? Id like to get a better understanding. Also, why do we have county police and county sheriff here in MD (I assume this is similar to most states) but I wanted to see how the agencies vary. Thanks is advance!

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    First off I would like to say I thing this public opposition is a step (maybe small) in the right direction.

My question is why do Sheriffs vs "regular police" are the ones that can stand up against the laws? Is it because they are elected officials verses hired government workers? Id like to get a better understanding. Also, why do we have county police and county sheriff here in MD (I assume this is similar to most states) but I wanted to see how the agencies vary. Thanks is advance!

Sheriffs by virtue of election are the highest ranking police authority in their county, even over the State Police.
    Police chiefs and commissioners serve at the pleasure of the Mayor or County Executive.

The Sheriffs department is responsible for Courthouse security, county detention centers, serving warrants, etc. In Harford County the Sheriff's Department is the only police force, there is not a county police department.

Last edited:

PharaohF4

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2010
    So since sheriffs don't really have a 'boss' (other than their residents) then they have more freedom, right? I'm assuming if a police chief said something like this, then they would be releaved f duty.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Heard an interesting radio interview about this issue either last night or the night before. Guy being interviewed claimed that the fastest growing population of gun owners is young people 26 and under. He claimed that young women in particular are rapidly becoming first-time gun owners. He mentioned that a sizable percentage of these folks voted for Obama once or twice and are finally waking up to reality. The tide is turning our way.

Maestro Pistolero

Mar 20, 2012
    I sure as hell don't recall this level of opposition in 1994. And if I remember correctly, dialog on network TV opposing such the ban was pretty much absent.

This is DEFINITELY not 1994. Not saying it can't happen, but the political landscape couldn't be much different.

Obama waited until he no longer had to face the electorate before going down this road. That ought to be a big clue to anyone in congress whose paying attention.

Even if a new AWB or mag ban isn't enacted, I wouldn't want to be an anti-gun congress person in the next mid-term elections.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    The pro-gun population is building at quite a rate. All the fence-sitters who find themselves wondering whether they'll be SOL if they don't get a gun soon, they're bumping sales nicely. And those of us who swept the shelves clean when we saw the writing on the wall after Sandy Hook are having a similar effect.

Let the legislators go out on the limb; by 2014, 2/3 of the population will be armed, and more than willing to shoot the branch off the tree at the trunk. If Cuomo and O'Malley think they've got a shot at a national election now, that dream will be dust.

At least, that's my hope. Don't write off the majority of the folks in this country; after all, they were smart enough to decide that the last several candidates for the presidency weren't worth leaving the house for. What we need is someone of presidential caliber to run for the office.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    A sheriff being interviewed on FOX said he has no legal obligation to enforce Federal law. That allows the refusal by some of them to enforce an AWB.

Good on them

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    A sheriff being interviewed on FOX said he has no legal obligation to enforce Federal law. That allows the refusal by some of them to enforce an AWB.

Good on them

If it's not local responsibility to enforce federal immigration law, then it shouldn't be a local responsibility to enforce federal gun law.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    One of the speakers (I don't recall which one) at the Gun Appreciation Rally in Annapolis on Saturday mentioned this. He also said that many were citing the 10th Amendment or equivalent in their state's constitutions.

"Sheriffs first" legislation

As of March 2010, legislators in three states had introduced legislation which would make it a crime for any federal agent to make an arrest, search or seizure within the state without getting the advance, written permission of the sheriff of the county in which the event would take place. The bills would provide for the following exceptions:
    • Actions on federal property
    • A federal employee witnesses a crime requiring an immediate arrest
    • Actions under either close pursuit or involving immigration
    • The person to be apprehended is either an elected county or state officer, an employee of the sheriff's office, or has such close connection with the sheriff that the person is likely to be notified by the sheriff of any impending action.
    None have advanced beyond the introductory stage.

I blurted out 'nullification' in my best Tom Woods voice, and a gentleman next to me said "That ain't gonna happen here". The point is though, it's happening elsewhere and gaining momentum. I'd be curious what VA and PA Sheriffs are considering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom