• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 90gsx

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 12, 2011
    Parkville
    Its best not to get involved in those situations. People do not value life these days and will kill you in a heart beat. If its not directly effecting you and no one is getting hurt its best to just stay out of it.

Maybe no one called the police? a lot of times people just assume that some one else already called.

So you put yourself at risk of being killed over someone else's power tools??? Those tools belonged to a Fortune 500 corporation that was going to write it off as a loss anyway. It's not like they belonged to some little old lady who had just purchased them. Playing hero can get you killed. You are damn lucky you weren't injured or killed.

Intervening in a physical assault is one thing but for God's sake.....

Just a guess,but maybe at that particular moment he thought the tools DID belong to the woman.:shrug:

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Just a guess,but maybe at that particular moment he thought the tools DID belong to the woman.:shrug:
    Even so, it's not like the lady was being beaten or raped. This was about some stolen power tools, for God's sake. Not worth risking your life over by any stretch of the imagination. I understand that in the heat of the moment that, as well all do, he wanted to do the right thing and that is commendable.

But how do you square being a hero when you leave your family and loved ones behind over a property crime that was none of your affair to begin with? In retrospect, it was a reckless decision to get involved.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    And the really f**ked up thing is that I probably would have done the same thing.

And had some serious "What the f**k was I thinking???" moments afterward. A LOT of them.

As I get older, I'm learning to think before I act.

Even so, it's not like the lady was being beaten or raped. This was about some stolen power tools, for God's sake. Not worth risking your life over by any stretch of the imagination. I understand that in the heat of the moment that, as well all do, he wanted to do the right thing and that is commendable.

But how do you square being a hero when you leave your family and loved ones behind over a property crime that was none of your affair to begin with? In retrospect, it was a reckless decision to get involved.

I agree with you 100% on all points.Sometimes heat of the moment takes over,which I believe is what happened.

Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    Yes, in retrospect it was heat of the moment...and there is no incentive for trying to do the right thing anymore, I agree. If you don't get killed or injured, there is a good chance some snake lawyer is going to find you liable for something and you will end up being punished for trying to do the right thing...

It sucks...I've never been a person to just walk away, or stand idle with everyone else...but I do need to learn to control it for the better of my wife and kids.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I think you did the right thing. Watch and take pictures or video. If they had assaulted the employee I would have gotten involved. I CCW when I go to Lowe's in Hanover PA.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Yes, in retrospect it was heat of the moment...and there is no incentive for trying to do the right thing anymore, I agree. If you don't get killed or injured, there is a good chance some snake lawyer is going to find you liable for something and you will end up being punished for trying to do the right thing...

It sucks...I've never been a person to just walk away, or stand idle with everyone else...but I do need to learn to control it for the better of my wife and kids.

From a standpoint of personal risk over store owned property, it may not be worth it, however, what you did may have ultimately prevented that woman from getting hurt even though she made a bad decision when she followed them.

Don't beat yourself up over what happened. Right or wrong, you put someone/something else ahead of yourself for that moment despite the risk, and that woman could be your wife or one of your kids in another circumstance.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Man that stinks. I was at a Home Depot just yesterday with my kids. I'm going through this in my head thinking my reaction would be 'Oh, hell no you are NOT going to steal something in front of me. Not today guys.' and then the old fart side of the brain kicks in and I'm thinking it's a worthwhile preparation to ask what the 'right' thing to do is given the social facts in MD today. Here is what I think and what I will have in the back of my mind should I ever encounter this:

1. Life and limb of all potential victims needs to be protected. Who on the list I prioritize is my business but I'm hoping I am personally not on the top of that list because I have to look at myself in the mirror every day. Ensure I speak clearly and firmly to my children on exactly what I expect them to do and where I expect them to go.

1a. In the event that I'm in a state that allows CCW, theft in a public place is NEVER a valid reason for me to draw. EVER.

2. Understand that the Police are not coming and no one around is going to help me because they have NOT thought through this ahead of time.

3. As long as the people are safe, my camera phone is more powerful than the baseball bat in the truck. Take pictures or video and make noise. Instruct the victims to get out of the way.

4. As things wind down continue filming so that at least Police have an idea of the direction the BG went but keep a distance appropriate to the fact that said BG are probably armed. Don't approach them.

What did I miss?

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    If they had assaulted the employee I would have gotten involved.

Agreed - that's my line in the sand.

Wouldn't pepper spraying be considered assault in some form?

Of course it is. Yanking something out of someone's hand can be assault. Running into them on the way out the door can be assault.
    So here's the rub, maybe you mean if they assault them enough.

I don't know what I would've done. I have a pretty nice pocket knife but I'm not going to run after the guy and hold it at his throat until the police arrive. If he was actively attacking someone I'd do whatever I needed to do to make him stop though. If I had a CCW or a long gun in my vehicle I have a bad feeling that I'd end up as some sad story that Emily Miller would write about in the Washington Times. I'll say this though, I think our society is better off with more people getting involved rather than everyone minding their own business as the inmates take over the asylum.

Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    1a. In the event that I'm in a state that allows CCW, theft in a public place is NEVER a valid reason for me to draw. EVER.

2. Understand that the Police are not coming and no one around is going to help me because they have NOT thought through this ahead of time.

3. As long as the people are safe, my camera phone is more powerful than the baseball bat in the truck. Take pictures or video and make noise. Instruct the victims to get out of the way.

These...

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    This type of theft is incredibly common an annoying. I worked at Sears back in the day in Loss Prevention. Dyson vacuums are a HUUUGELY popular to thing to steal.

One time we found a guy who was stealing tools and stashing em in our garbage dumpster and retrieving them at night. We found them and scanned them for a total.....$3500+ in ONE 10 minute window. It was like watching bees work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom