• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CLP

Dec 18, 2012
    I still want someone to outline what an HBAR barrel is or what an HBAR rifle configuration looks like.

I want a list of allowed (Not Disallowed) dodads and a list of not allowed dodads.

Bet we can't get clarification on that.

An HBAR is a rifle that.....

I want our freedom back, I want these GD politicians to go play in traffic.. enough is enough

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    No offense to the OP, but what's the point of this thread. MSP doesn't know their head from their ass with regards to the new legislation. You got one Trooper's opinion on the law. He had to go check with someone else to get a few answers. Ask ten of them and you would get ten different sets of answers. Fact is, that until they finish writing the COMAR, we won't really know for sure. Even then it probably won't be much better. Sorry for the rant, but it seems like we have endless threads with the same questions, and we're not getting anywhere.
    Maybe I should just go to the range tomorrow, that will make me feel better.

j634

Feb 15, 2013
    The way HBAR or heavy barrel was explained to me was the diameter of the barrel never changed for the entire length of the barrel. NON HBARS have a "tapered" barrel. This taper is usually covered by the hand guard and adds to the confusion.

Here are links to pictures to explain the taper.

These have a taper or the diameter changes from the point where the barrel screws into the upper receiver.
    http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=273

Now look at these "heavy barrels".. Notice there is not change in the diameter of the barrel near the same spot where the barrell screws into the receiver.

http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=274

Also notice the names (or titles) the manufacturer uses for each barrel.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    The ironic part is that the Bushmaster HBAR is the one rifle I personally know of that is basically a verbatim copy of the Colt HBAR. :lol2:

and to top it off one of my ARs' is the Bushmaster HBAR. It says HBAR on the barrel. Cash and Carry long gun transfer. :sad20:

Attachments

• 2012-12-15_23-24-25_434.jpg
      2012-12-15_23-24-25_434.jpg
      23.7 KB · Views: 323
    • 2012-12-15_23-24-48_477.jpg
      2012-12-15_23-24-48_477.jpg
      66 KB · Views: 328

davidr145

Mar 14, 2011
    Perry Hall, MD
    The more I read the forums the more confused I get. I have the Bushmaster HBar purchased cash and carry as a non regulated gun. Some say to be safe register it while others say don't register it. I have no plans to change the configuration. I just wish the msp would be more clear on the hbar's, especially since I have a bushmaster which listed as a regulated gun.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    But he said:

"Further, he stated that if that was done now, it would be converting the firearm into a regulated rifle and it would have to be registered."

Which is why I asked the question.

Where in the law does it require me to register my rifle, if I bought it on 09/12/13 as a HBAR, and on 09/13/13 put a low profile barrel on it and assembled it in to a regulated version? Unless I've missed it, before Oct 1 registration only involves regulated long guns when they are purchased or transferred.

Anyone who built their own lower from a 80% frame, would have a lower that although "regulated", would not be registered because it was not purchased or transferred through a ffl. Would they before Oct 1 be required to register it if they assembled it with a low profile barrel?

Short answer, there is not a requirement in the law, just as there wasn't a requirement to register your firearms when you moved to MD. What a bunch of horseshit. There are literally thousands of unregistered regulated firearms in the state because of the way the law was written.

Mark

thai

May 8, 2013
    That's only one feature. Now if you add a whatchamacallit .. it will be ban for sure.

Op. Which msp did you call/see? Pikesville? Just curious.

Don't forget those thingamajigs. I got a few of those installed. Are the legal without registration? I would hate to be on the wrong Side of the dumb a$$ fu(kin law!

anil

Sep 28, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    This is still very vague to me. What about the Feature Test that will exist after Oct 1. Is it not possible to have an HBAR AR that fails the Oct 1 feature test.

It isn't registered, so they don't know about it. But it should be grandfathered in and no longer matter about the barrel, since it is already banned from sale.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    and to top it off one of my ARs' is the Bushmaster HBAR. It says HBAR on the barrel. Cash and Carry long gun transfer. :sad20:

They also made a post-ban model that had a target crown during the 1994-2004 era that was a cash and carry in MD.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    This is still very vague to me. What about the Feature Test that will exist after Oct 1. Is it not possible to have an HBAR AR that fails the Oct 1 feature test.

Probably not.

since pistol grips, bayonet lugs and collapsible stocks are not a feature, then all that is left is the flash hider, which is one feature

AND

since the HBAR is exempted from the AW definition (possibly) then it doesn't have to go through the copycat test because it was named as not an AW

so it is probably OK on both counts

BeerHunter

Don't ReMember
    Feb 13, 2013
    SoPROM

It isn't registered, so they don't know about it. But it should be grandfathered in and no longer matter about the barrel, since it is already banned from sale.

It's not just you! It's [nearly] every citizen in the People's Republik of Maryland, including the MSP.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Thanks for the post, and thanks to those adding in what they know.

This law has a lot of grey areas now, and I am guessing it will for a long time. IMO, that is intentional so that the tyrants behind it can do whatever they want...which is an eventual ban of many guns, plus confiscation. Why do you think they want a registry? Think Australia.

For the record, the stories I have read here of encounters with MSP Troopers, LEO's, support staff, etc. have not been ones where they were unpleasant. I also did not see where anyone was treated unkindly by any non-politician individuals while out in Annapolis earlier this year. I get the impression that a handful of people at the top are really pushing this cluster *, and the rest are put in the position of complying or being unemployed.

BeerHunter

Don't ReMember
    Feb 13, 2013
    SoPROM
    Thanks for the post, and thanks to those adding in what they know.

This law has a lot of grey areas now, and I am guessing it will for a long time. IMO, that is intentional so that the tyrants behind it can do whatever they want...which is an eventual ban of many guns, plus confiscation. Why do you think they want a registry? Think Australia.

For the record, the stories I have read here of encounters with MSP Troopers, LEO's, support staff, etc. have not been ones where they were unpleasant. I also did not see where anyone was treated unkindly by any non-politician individuals while out in Annapolis earlier this year. I get the impression that a handful of people at the top are really pushing this cluster *, and the rest are put in the position of complying or being unemployed.

I'm still holding out hope that this statement is what results in a our side prevailing in court. Stay tuned!

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    A lower receiver by itself is already a regulated (and therefore registered) firearm, so assembly it in any regulated configuration is fine. What he was referring to is taking an HBAR configuration (unregulated/unregistered) and re-assembling it into a non-HBAR after Oct 1. That would be illegal.

now thats some clarity .

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    I'm still holding out hope that this statement is what results in a our side prevailing in court. Stay tuned!

Agreed! My hope is additionally that we will prevail at the next election, repeal these anti-2A laws, and pass something along the lines of "...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.." :) Oh wait, doesn't that already already exist?

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Funny, I heard someone at a gun shop that is not an IP here tell a customer he could buy an HBAR and put any upper he wanted on it.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    They also made a post-ban model that had a target crown during the 1994-2004 era that was a cash and carry in MD.

They also made a National Match model with target crowned barrel, no bayonet lug and a free floating handguard. That guard is even bitchier to get off the rifle than a standard guard.

The state is going to do whatever it wants to do. They have already proven they are willing to make proclamations and "bend" the regulations attached to this law in the direction they want them to go. (Gansler's HQL order). Why would you worry about such as this? If you own an HBAR and decide down the road to change it's configuration, then do so. Way too many people here worried about "obeying the law" when the law is clearly a violation of your rights. Ask yourself what is more important...obeying an illegal, unconstitutional law or having the tools to defend your family and your property from those who wrote the law and are trying to take away your ability to do just that...

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    The more I read the forums the more confused I get. I have the Bushmaster HBar purchased cash and carry as a non regulated gun. Some say to be safe register it while others say don't register it. I have no plans to change the configuration. I just wish the msp would be more clear on the hbar's, especially since I have a bushmaster which listed as a regulated gun.

Then they wouldn't have an excuse to charge you and confiscate your collection. Even though they are found wrong in court you are irreversably damaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom