Availability: In stock
    Only: $129.99
    Sale: $99.99
    Only 69.99 with coupon 57300458
    Add item to cart to redeem coupon

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I got one from walmart the other day for $60 and I used it for the first time this morning and it worked well at least for the deer I put on it.

Viper385

Jan 17, 2018
    I know this is a really...REALLY old thread. But it came up in a google search related to what I was wondering. I have a new SUV so I can no longer use my truck bed for transporting. I was wondering if there is any concern from the exhaust/heat with using one of these cargo racks?

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I know this is a really...REALLY old thread. But it came up in a google search related to what I was wondering. I have a new SUV so I can no longer use my truck bed for transporting. I was wondering if there is any concern from the exhaust/heat with using one of these cargo racks?

Zero concern in my opinion. If it's a warm day then that could be a concern if it's going to be a while before you can get it somewhere cold but I don't worry about the exhaust harming anything. I have used hitch mounted racks for hauling deer. I have sometimes wrapped them in a tarp to keep road grime off.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

I searched around for my sorento and ended up getting a rola...
    ROLA 59502 Vortex Steel Cargo Carrier, Hitch-Mount, High-Capacity Basket (2-Inch Receivers) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0016I8...abc_3NGEA41TH0C9HD0TWJ8N?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The sorento has 3 row seating, so it allows me to bring the mother in law, dog, wife, and 2 sons on trips. The problem is where to put the luggage...hence the cargo carrier. Other brands had kindve flimsy build quality, especially in the grating thickness. This thing is built like a damned tank. It also offsets up to give enough ground clearance to go over curbs and not be effected by steep driveway/hills. The cross pin is essentially a big ass bolt, so cranking that down makes this nice and secure, although you can buy clamp-like stabilizers to torque down on where it plugs onto the hitch to remove any remaining wiggle.

I also got this rain proof bag that fits on it....
    FIVKLEMNZ Car Cargo Carrier Bag, 20 Cubic Feet Waterproof Hitch Tray Cargo Carrier with 6 Reinforced Straps Suitable for All Vehicle with Steel Cargo Basket (59" 23" 23") https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B087Q8T...abc_EQ91A705YBQNB6TQJNMH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

...it is great. It straps down securely on the cargo carrier, is legit waterproof, and fits a tooooooon of crap on it. We got all our luggage, beach chairs, a cooler, and even things like pillows in there. I wasn't sure how the exhaust would play with it, so I tossed some sheet steel in that corner to redirect it. Exhaust heat was never an issue to and from dewey Beach from Annapolis. You can buy led light kits for it to plug into your wiring harness, but I didn't find it necessary with mostly daylight traveling.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211218-234557_Gallery.jpg
      Screenshot_20211218-234557_Gallery.jpg
      69.1 KB · Views: 165
    • Screenshot_20211218-234703_Gallery.jpg
      Screenshot_20211218-234703_Gallery.jpg
      62.7 KB · Views: 170
    • 20211218_234824.jpg
      20211218_234824.jpg
      110.2 KB · Views: 161

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    We throw em in the truck bed, where they belong, amongst the trash needing to go to the dump, odds and ends treasures I found at someones curbside, etc.

This thread reminds me of a James McMurty song:
    "“Honey, don’t you be yelling at me when I’m cleaning my gun. I’ll wash the blood off the tailgate when deer season’s done.”"

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    This looks like a good idea to me. Plus, if you do other activities such as camping or fishing, you can haul gear such as tents and large coolers; I see people in the Outer Banks using these things...

Yep, that's where you carry your extra large Yeti cooler which by it's sheer size projects your skill as a surf fisherman. This is complemented by a custom set of rocket-launchers mounted along the front bumper which are used to display your spread of custom surf rods. It's quite a show.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    If you get one spray it with bright orange or green paint and stick some reflector tape on it---no fun to walk into it in the dark and it hangs out when you are in a parking space--I have had one for years and use it all the time for deer and other chores.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    The 'hitch hauler' I bought for my truck ('11 RAM) sits right where the exhaust pipes dump hot exhaust.

When I put the extra large cooler on the 'hauler' heat/exhaust dumps right on the cooler.

I tried to get some ducts/exhaust tips that were 45* or 90* to deflect the heat.

No joy.

We saw an SUV on Rte. 95 (when we were headed towards Myrtle Beach), with the items on their hitch hauler had caught fire, and we're guessing it was from exhaust.

I wound up buying a hitch extender from etrailer dot com.
    I didn't know that Harbor Freight had the same basic thing in stock, for a LOT less $$$.

The beauty of the extender, is that it raises the hitch hauler 8" (or a 10" is available, too) and gets the items on the hauler away from exhaust, and if going up/down back roads, the items on the hauler don't get dirt/rocks/crud tossed into the material being carried.

Harbor Freight extender:

https://www.harborfreight.com/dual-hitch-extender-69881.html

eTrailer extender (looks more heavy duty):

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Adapters/Roadmaster/RM-077-8.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads