• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Hey guys, been building a house. I did a vault in the foundation. poured concrete/re-inforced walls 8" thick, 6" concrete ceiling, concrete floor with radiant heat, below slab insulation and power run from another portion of the house. I am concerned about moisture still as i do not have duct work run to it. In winter i have the heated floors but outside of regular heating season I want to keep the moister down and something like a golden rod wouldn't be large enough to handle a space of its size. 8x8x8 is the total size so my thoughts are to just put a thermostat regulated baseboard heater hard wired in to help combat damp conditions?

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I’ve used dehumidifiers designed and marketed for boats n yachts to good effect. They’re purpose built for larger spaces than a safe and to run non stop for extended periods.

Regret I don’t have a brand to recommend. There should be a couple that stand out. Mine are now around fifteen years old and still drying the sky

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Did you have drains and wiring?

A programmable dehumidifier with a pump from lowes or home depot will keep the space nice and dry.

Sealing the walls isn't a bad idea either.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Did you have drains and wiring?

A programmable dehumidifier with a pump from lowes or home depot will keep the space nice and dry.

Sealing the walls isn't a bad idea either.
    Ran conduit for wiring

I didn't run any drains with concerns for access for use with gas (paranoid i am aware), though i could have just done a trap to a drywell under the slab but its a little late for that consideration.

The vault is located inside the structure on 3 sides and the 4th size backs up to the garage wall which was sealed below surface for moisture and 12mm vapor barrier was installed below deck with the insulation.

Sound like I just need to do a small dehumidifier which i will have to drain periodically. It will be a room completly closed off and conditioned around all sides so i would think the only moisture intrusion would be from fresh air when the unit is opened or closed.

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    May I have blueprints and gps coords for a bit of fun in about ten years?

1000003046.jpg

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Most programmable dehumidifiers with a pump have a 20 foot tube that is used to drain the well.

The tube is maybe 3/8". If you could drill a small hole to a nearby drain, that should take care of the humidity.

I have an extremely wet basement from ground water, and the dehumidifier keeps the moisture down to an acceptable level.

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    Most programmable dehumidifiers with a pump have a 20 foot tube that is used to drain the well.

The tube is maybe 3/8". If you could drill a small hole to a nearby drain, that should take care of the humidity.

I have an extremely wet basement from ground water, and the dehumidifier keeps the moisture down to an acceptable level.
    Can't you seal off the concrete so that you're not trying to dehumidify the entire states ground water. ?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Can't you seal off the concrete so that you're not trying to dehumidify the entire states ground water. ?
    No,

Been there and tried that. Moisture still gets through.

Something needs to be on the inside to suck out the moisture that gets through from a tiny crack or joint.

BrianS

Apr 26, 2010
    A standalone dehumidifier would heat that room up very quickly I would think unless that's not a concern.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    dehumidifier

shouldn't heat up the room. you will have to figure out a way to deal with the water it pulls out of the air though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom