• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jvv26

Mar 13, 2011
    baltimore
    I went to the wally mart in halethorpe(no guns, just ammo) to get some 22lr. They asked if it was for a rifle or handgun. I said yes and the girl refused the sale. am 40 yrs old by the way. I had her get the manager who swore that ammo was either for rifles or pistols not both. I just had to laugh at them both. There is a older retired military guy who works there who is not a jackass. the moral of the story give your cash to locals and avoid the hassle

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    If Walmart starts outstripping the bread and butter sales of our local FFL's I think that would be a bad thing.

If Walmart starts?? They've been doing it since the day they opened. That's how they roll. Local stores can't compete with them. Not just gun stores either.

One day back when I worked at Dave's, Dave came in pissed off with a flyer from WM. The ad showed retail prices for the 870 Express and 10/22 that were lower (by quite a bit) than we could buy them for from any of our distributors. Hard to compete with that kind of buying power. No real way to adapt either; can't make the distributors lower their prices.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    If Walmart starts?? They've been doing it since the day they opened. That's how they roll. Local stores can't compete with them. Not just gun stores either.

Walmart isn't the only one with that kind of market control. Years ago I went thru the same thing with boat AC and refrigeration equipment. Anyone could buy it at BOAT US cheaper than the manufacture would sell it to dealers like me.

The thing is, the big retailers only go for the bottom stuff ... you have to sell yourself and product at the higher tiers. If you can't there is always some local idiot willing to undersell you on the base stuff ... even without the BIG retailers like WM, HD, Best Buy etc.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006

One day back when I worked at Dave's, Dave came in pissed off with a flyer from WM. The ad showed retail prices for the 870 Express and 10/22 that were lower (by quite a bit) than we could buy them for from any of our distributors. Hard to compete with that kind of buying power. No real way to adapt either; can't make the distributors lower their prices.

Well, in this internet age I'd be surprised if gun store owners couldn't band together and say, for instance, "look, Remington (or Ruger), if you keep this up we stop selling ALL YOUR PRODUCTS, including handguns - which Walmart doesn't sell."

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Well, in this internet age I'd be surprised if gun store owners couldn't band together and say, for instance, "look, Remington (or Ruger), if you keep this up we stop selling ALL YOUR PRODUCTS, including handguns - which Walmart doesn't sell."

Us boat AC guys went to our manufactures with that question ... they said they would choose BOATUS without even taking the time to think about it.

Like I said, it doesn't take a mega retailer to have someone in your neighborhood trying to undersell you ... it ALWAYS happens and you have to work around it. Usually the low ball guys go out of business, but they are almost always replaced by a new guy who doesn't understand economics or business and is willing to sell for less than anyone can make a profit on.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Was blown away today! Went in the Camden, DE WM today and not only did they have a nice Mini-14 in stock, but also a Bushmaster Patrolman's Carbine right there in the rack! What?!?! Evil black rifles in a WalMart?!?! The world is ending.....

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Resurrecting an old one.

Stopped into Arundel Mills today. It looks like they have a bunch of their holiday sale stuff out. Lots of knives just like last year including the following:

Sog Fasthawk and 10" tanto sogfari for $38
    Sog 15" machete for $20
    Kershaw 2 knife and flashlight set for $20
    Sog Fasthawk for $20

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads