• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Can always get the kid some ammo too! My friend let me store some stuff at their house and their kids helped carry it in and out so as payment I gave the kid a bucket of 22 golden bullets. Him and his dad should have 1600rds of fun now.
    This might also be the way. His dad makes him work for his own 22 ammo which he is successful in doing. But a gun seems out of reach for the lad to afford. His old man isn't exactly flush with money either, I'm honestly surprised he is going along with it

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I did. What bugs me is I know older Single Six can be found for not a ton more and will outlive him...
    That SHOULD bug anyone pondering the Heritage or the Wrangler. Amortized over the lifetime of the revolver, a Single Six is the obvious way to go. It's wildly superior to the cheapies.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Any chance you might get him a decent Air Rifle/ air pistol, CO2 and a crap load of pellets instead? Then as he gets older, he can buy his own firearm whether it be through continued work for you or another employer?
    He already has a 22 rifle and messes with airsoft. Horse is out of the barn on real guns

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Which 22 rifle does he have? If it isn't a Ruger 10/22, I'd say get the kid a Ruger 10/22. I personally wouldn't give a 10 year old a handgun. That's just me. Rifles much safer in the aspect of having proper muzzle control. Rifle more practical for target shooting, dispatching rabbits/raccoons/birds etc stuff that a young man typically is interested in doing.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Which 22 rifle does he have? If it isn't a Ruger 10/22, I'd say get the kid a Ruger 10/22. I personally wouldn't give a 10 year old a handgun. That's just me. Rifles much safer in the aspect of having proper muzzle control. Rifle more practical for target shooting, dispatching rabbits/raccoons/birds etc stuff that a young man typically is interested in doing.
    CZ Cadet, so a bolt gun

He really liked shooting my handguns is why I thought of it. I'm not concerned given how his old man is. No hesitation they're safe and responsible with firearms.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    If his next larger caliber handgun will be a semi, the SR22 is a great budget semi's learning tool and really fun to shoot, but the Mark IV is obviously a better albeit more expensive choice. If he is going to prefer wheel guns down the road, the Wrangler, Heritage budget guns are good but a Single 6 dual cylinder would be better. Kudos no matter what you do because he will never forget his first handgun.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    CZ Cadet, so a bolt gun

He really liked shooting my handguns is why I thought of it. I'm not concerned given how his old man is. No hesitation they're safe and responsible with firearms.
    I don't doubt they are safe and responsible. But handguns, inherently are a multitude of times more dangerous. I am speaking of MANY YEARS of training experience where I have seen senior ranking military members (typically officers) who come out to qualify on their assigned pistol and are offenders of handgun mishandling.

If you're dead set on a handgun for him so be it. My recommendation would be a plane jane Ruger Mark IV. I picked up my last one for like $380. It's the 10/22 of handguns.

Gliderkit1

Aug 8, 2019
    Frederick county
    Just got a Walther p22 for my son he is 8 had my hands on the Glock and the ruger felt like the walther was the best fit for his hands. Had him shoot lt last weekend pleased so far with the purchase cost was about 400

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    SP101 in 22 is awesome.
    For a 10 y/o, I would steer clear of a semi until he really understands how it works and that it self loads. Much less chance of a mishap with a revolver. He will go through a lot less ammo as well. The single actions are great.
    I work with a ton of young scouts on the range. Bolts and singles are the way to go at that age.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    SP101 in 22 is awesome.
    For a 10 y/o, I would steer clear of a semi until he really understands how it works and that it self loads. Much less chance of a mishap with a revolver. He will go through a lot less ammo as well. The single actions are great.
    I work with a ton of young scouts on the range. Bolts and singles are the way to go at that age.
    He wants a Single Six

Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    On my way out of Maryland
    When I was a kid, I hated when adults would give me something cheap. Of course, I appreciated getting anything but eventually, I figured out it was cheap or didn't last. If you are going to give a kid a gift, give something that he would be proud of and not worry about breaking when he is showing it off. I recommend a Ruger Mark IV tactical. It looks cool out of the box, easy to disassemble to clean, he can have fun with aftermarket options, and will last a lifetime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom