• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    It sounds to me, from listening to this interview, gun dealers have the green light to release firearms after seven days. I have been told I hear what I want to hear, but that is what I heard.

Which is a major problem for gun owners and dealers. This is the kind of crap that leads to feel good legislation.

hollyb1

Oct 11, 2012
    Halethorpe
    Didn't a similiar situtation lead to our current system? I believe at one point Dealers recieved the NICS number and then waited for the not-disapproved message from the state police, when the 7-day wait period expired Dealers were legally releasing firearms, then when MDSP realized 6 weeks later the application was Disapproved they were on the hook for collecting the firearm. I thought a big stink over that led to MDSP being the NICS poc for regulated firearms in MD?

2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A
    Its not the State Govt that the dealers must fear. Its the Feds, If a FFL dealer releases a weapon before getting the all clear from the MSP and also getting that NICS Number that goes on the paper work. The dealer can face holy hell from the ATF and so on. This was explained to me by the guys at White Marsh Arms.

If it was only the State the dealers had to deal with then we would all have our guns in the approriate time.

I disagree. I've heard the explanation, but I don't agree with it.

The NICS system is an automatic greenlight if you don't hear anything bad within 3 days of contacting NICS (or MSP since MD is a POC state). It is specifically designed so that a lack of response cannot result in arbitrary delays (exactly what is happening in MD right now). As long as the FFL can prove they contacted MSP (or NICS, depending on the firearm being sold) then I believe they are good to go.

My opinion is that FFLs in this state want to cooperate with the MSP and they want to pretend like they have no choice because they don't want any consumer backlash for contributing to the delay, so they pick this area of the law and use it as a shield.

I am certain that if it were a violation of federal law, the MSP would not be begging for patience from dealers. They would demand patience and threaten to report non-complying dealers to the ATF. MSP probably also wouldn't be ramping up staffing. MSP would do as they please and tell dealers to deal with it because there would be no incentive for them to pick up the pace, but that isn't what happened. I think MSP is ramping up staffing because they know that any dealer could, at any time, decide not to play the game anymore and start releasing firearms on day 8.

Anyone else is free to disagree, but that is how I see it.

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Shipley said with the possibility of stricter gun control measures on the way in Maryland, he hopes more funds are also going to be in the pipeline from Annapolis to provide the resources that would be needed to process the data.

This is purely a political statement designed to make the public think that the new gun control measures are the solution to the current problem.

That statement tarnishes the "good-faith" position of MSP regarding this crisis. MSP Brass is showing their true colors.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    This should not be our problem!

The MSP leadership testifies before the legislature for the MD anti2A spiel.

When has the MSP leadership supported the 2A?

They need to live up to their end, and quit whining!

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    Sure, the results of the article weren't deliberately seeking to have the gun community split over whether the FFLs were withholding guns from their customers or if it is the MSP. Sucks to wait, sucks to be jammed up in the rush on guns and ammo, sucks even more to fight this proposed legislation. It's life, it's also peoples' livelihoods that are being scrutinized. The same people that would lose business because probably 80% would buy out of state if an ammo tax of 15% > was raised by the state. :sad20:

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    This should not be our problem!

The MSP leadership testifies before the legislature for the MD anti2A spiel.

When has the MSP leadership supported the 2A?

They need to live up to their end, and quit whining!

I couldn't agree more.

Yes: it's not their fault they're underfunded, but they have religiously supported every piece of legislation that has lead to this problem.

highwayheat

highwayheat
    Jun 13, 2012
    Ceciltucky
    The 7 day waiting period is foolish to begin with. I have to wait 7+ days for a pistol or a "regulared AR-15" but my "non-regulated Hbar AR-15" was cash and carry. The NICS check was completed with authorization number in approx 5 minutes. So is MD saying that it doesn't use the same databases as NICS? The reasoning between 7 days and cash and carry does not hold water.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The 7 day waiting period is foolish to begin with. I have to wait 7+ days for a pistol or a "regulared AR-15" but my "non-regulated Hbar AR-15" was cash and carry. The NICS check was completed with authorization number in approx 5 minutes. So is MD saying that it doesn't use the same databases as NICS? The reasoning between 7 days and cash and carry does not hold water.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=69652

raff696

Nov 1, 2008
    I disagree. I've heard the explanation, but I don't agree with it.

The NICS system is an automatic greenlight if you don't hear anything bad within 3 days of contacting NICS (or MSP since MD is a POC state). It is specifically designed so that a lack of response cannot result in arbitrary delays (exactly what is happening in MD right now). As long as the FFL can prove they contacted MSP (or NICS, depending on the firearm being sold) then I believe they are good to go.

My opinion is that FFLs in this state want to cooperate with the MSP and they want to pretend like they have no choice because they don't want any consumer backlash for contributing to the delay, so they pick this area of the law and use it as a shield.

I am certain that if it were a violation of federal law, the MSP would not be begging for patience from dealers. They would demand patience and threaten to report non-complying dealers to the ATF. MSP probably also wouldn't be ramping up staffing. MSP would do as they please and tell dealers to deal with it because there would be no incentive for them to pick up the pace, but that isn't what happened. I think MSP is ramping up staffing because they know that any dealer could, at any time, decide not to play the game anymore and start releasing firearms on day 8.

Anyone else is free to disagree, but that is how I see it.

Well tell this to White Marsh Arms so i can get my gun! :D

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County

They will stick to their guns (so to speak:D) whether you can prove otherwise or not.

I have respectfully debated some of the finer aspects of the law with them in the past and told I was wrong only to have the atf later clarify that what I was saying was correct - this was in regards to assembling ar lowers into pistols as well as whether or not a handgun could be configured into a rifle and then back into a handgun.

2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A

Ultimately any private business can do as they see fit. That's their right and I wouldn't want to see it infringed.

I would like to see some dealers group up and tell MSP to get their act together or they're going to start releasing on time, but it's not my call to make.

I'm from VA and VA doesn't have this problem so I just don't have much patience for it. There's not much else to do about it other than complain about it here.

sajidakh

Dec 28, 2010
    Am i correct in assuming that MSP only does NICS checks for regulated firearms? Because when I worked at Dick's we just called NICS ourselves when selling long guns.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    I couldn't agree more.

Yes: it's not their fault they're underfunded, but they have religiously supported every piece of legislation that has lead to this problem.

They are not underfunded. $10 PER APP FOR DECADES is more than enough to fund this program. In addition MD qualified for a Federal $300,000 grant to improve the system. But aside of that, last year they processed some 40+K apps, that is $400,000 in revenue from the apps alone without state funding. You are telling me that you could not hire 10 administrative assistants for $40k a year each??????

I am really SICK AND TIRED of anybody defending the situation. The MSP leadership CHOOSES not to properly staff the department. If they have 40+K APPS backlogged just from this year alone right now they also have some $400k in application fees. It is a choice, nothing more nothing less. I am not blaming the processors but the MSP IS GUILTY OF DRAGGING THEIR FEET.

T-MANN

Feb 6, 2013

QUOTE]

I agree;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom