• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Although that is not part of the main opinion, the anti's will grab the dicta, and say "See, we can do that".

I haven't read Breyer's dissenting opinion yet, to see if there is dicta the anti's can cherry pick from there.
    I’m not up to Breyer yet. Not sure I want to get angry just yet.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    I like that Idea, not sure if MDSP is gonna play ball.
    You would think that following a supreme court decision regarding a law or policy would be kind of one of their basic functions. They don't get to pick and choose on this..

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Been putting off an order with Vedder holsters but decided to celebrate a little

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I like Alito ...

Justice Breyer’s dissent, joined by Justices Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan, gave an extensive account of the harms caused by gun violence.

“In 2020,” he wrote, “45,222 Americans were killed by firearms. Since the start of this year, there have been 277 reported mass shootings — an average of more than one per day. Gun violence has now surpassed motor vehicle crashes as the leading cause of death among children and adolescents.”

In a concurring opinion, Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr. responded to the dissent.

“It is hard to see what legitimate purpose can possibly be served by most of the dissent’s lengthy introductory section,” he wrote. “Why, for example, does the dissent think it is relevant to recount the mass shootings that have occurred in recent years? Does the dissent think that laws like New York’s prevent or deter such atrocities?

“Will a person bent on carrying out a mass shooting be stopped if he knows that it is illegal to carry a handgun outside the home?” Justice Alito asked. “And how does the dissent account for the fact that one of the mass shootings near the top of its list took place in Buffalo? The New York law at issue in this case obviously did not stop that perpetrator.”

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I’m not up to Breyer yet. Not sure I want to get angry just yet.
    I only glanced at the Syllabus, not the opinions, but I'm listening to a Federalist Society live webinar now. You'll like Alito's concurrence. He joins the Majority in all respects, then addresses Breyer's dissent point by point.

Another point, raised here already: "In common use" was emphasized and reaffirmed, which possibly bodes well for AR-15's and standard capacity magazines "... that some legislatures call 'high capacity.'"

Also, if states react by imposing additional undue burdens, they'll risk federal civil rights actions against them.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    hahahaha Desert Eagle? :P

there might be a pic ...

I only glanced at the Syllabus, not the opinions, but I'm listening to a Federalist Society live webinar now. You'll like Alito's concurrence. He joins the Majority in all respects, then addresses Breyer's dissent point by point...

Glad he did this.

A sidebar that I'm having with friends is how this might eventually affect reciprocity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom