• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    I have a bit of a stupid question here regarding the NYSRPA Supreme Court decision. I keep getting all this crap from the NRA, that THEY (the NRA specifically) won this case ? Now, I'm not exceptionally briliant by any strech of the imagination, but nowhere in any of the decision or really anywhere else for that matter, do I see any mention of NRA in the hundred and some pages of court documents. My wife asked the same question on the NRA Facebook page, specifically what did they have to do with this case - and she was blocked ? We are both Patron members, and frankly I'm slightly pissed off at that. We've given them a lot of money over the years, as I'm sure others here have also. What the hell did they do, if anything for NYSRPA ? If I'm wrong, please tell me - what am I missing ??

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have a bit of a stupid question here regarding the NYSRPA Supreme Court decision. I keep getting all this crap from the NRA, that THEY (the NRA specifically) won this case ? Now, I'm not exceptionally briliant by any strech of the imagination, but nowhere in any of the decision or really anywhere else for that matter, do I see any mention of NRA in the hundred and some pages of court documents. My wife asked the same question on the NRA Facebook page, specifically what did they have to do with this case - and she was blocked ? We are both Patron members, and frankly I'm slightly pissed off at that. We've given them a lot of money over the years, as I'm sure others here have also. What the hell did they do, if anything for NYSRPA ? If I'm wrong, please tell me - what am I missing ??
    NYSRPA is the State affiliate of NRA. NRA is involved, and surely footed a lot of the bill.

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    NYSRPA is the State affiliate of NRA. NRA is involved, and surely footed a lot of the bill.
    Ok, I guess I never thought of that part, but it makes sense. I always took it as being a NY lawsuit and the NRA wasn't really involved in it. Thanks for clarifying !

ezliving

Besieger
    Oct 9, 2008
    Undisclosed Secure Location
    So, it's been legal to open carry a long gun in MD. Why would it not now be lawful for a legal gun owner to open carry a handgun for a lawful purpose (self defense) without permitting being necessary?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    So, it's been legal to open carry a long gun in MD. Why would it not now be lawful for a legal gun owner to open carry a handgun for a lawful purpose (self defense) without permitting being necessary?
    Kavanaugh.

If there weren’t his concurring opinion saying permits were still OK, I’d bet all 3 of my nuts Thomas would have made Constitutional carry the law of the land.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Keep in mind that there are Constitutional Carry states that still issue permits. Said permit issuance doesn't make them any less-Constitutional Carry.

Generally speaking they are issued for citizen convenience, reciprocity agreements, background check substitution, and enhanced access to carry (sometimes in "sensitive" places).

Constitutional Carry could theoretically be the law of the land today. The confirmation of such could be a (possibly pending) lawsuit away.

You might be able to OC a handgun in MD (most likely not) soon. It all depends on what Froshy comes up with next week.

IANAL.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There has been spontaneous speculation about suddenly having handgun OC in MD due to Bruen , but I'm not seeing it ( despite my earlier post about the theoretical possibility of OC satisfing Bruen) .

MD has 50yr history of identical regulation of both Concealed and OC . That's how they think , that's what the politicians , most LE. brass , and most general public think . Suddenly changing that will major upsetting the public applecart , with no possible upside for our ruling class .

The absolutely simplest , and by far least disruptive to the Crown , and most obvious Imeadately Available solution is what we have been expecting all along :

Keep the Permitting Scheme as is , with the sole exception of removing ONE Question from the online Application , that of " State your Good & Substantial Reason , use detail " .

Will that be the eventual Forever & Ever solution ? Very unlikely .

But extremely simple , extremely quick to implement , and will minimise the imeadate vapors of the chattering classes , while initially Facially complying with Bruen . ( Yeah , we would eventually challenge various aspects under T, H, and T standards , but Frosh/ Hogan/ various Pols , could plausibly say that with a straight face to buy a year or two of time .)

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I posted this in the other thread, but may as well post it here too...it occurred to me that MD might be able to maintain their strict concealed permit regime but allow open carry to satisfy their constitutional obligations.
    They could do that yes. I have heard some liberals talk about doing this believing it'll suppress the numbers of people carrying. But IMO they'll go the other way and ban OC. Three examples come to mind-

DC and IL both picked CCW over OC when they were forced to by the courts.
    In OH years ago, the state was sued for shall issue CCW. The court said no, you're right to carry is OC. As this was happening CCW bills kept getting shot down. As soon as people started open carrying everywhere, all of a sudden the CCW bill got through and shall issue was in place to help steer people away from open carry.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    While true, I would guess this "bill" was probably nowhere near what SAF paid for Heller, McDonald, or the cases that were denied cert afterward. The district and circuit court stops were basically them saying "We can't win here because circuit precedent is against us. Please send us to SCOTUS". There was no oral argument exc. The "bill" was probably Paul Clement at the SCOTUS stage.
    NRA/NYSRPA basically benefited from timing and having Barrett replacing RBG to ensure the court would take up the case.

BlackInjun

Jun 7, 2013
    Scotus removed the requirement to show why you need to carry. They said training fingerprint background check are legal

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

Thank you Jim12

HEY Froshole. THEY are only ASSAULT weapons because you Karen types calls them ASSAULT weapons. WE law Abiding citizens call them other things such as Modern Sporting Rifles or a tool we can use for Protection, Varmint control, Predator hunting, etc.

Now, how about the bottles of Booze and the Car Mr Pelosi used to drive drunk with? Let's have some riots about Common Sense Alcohol and Car laws we need in order to make us feel safe again to go out for a dinner date or a stroll and not have to worry about some Drunk Californian killing us or our loved ones. Damn Assault Cars. When will we see a Paul Pelosi law along the lines of the Brady bill etc and legal action taken to punish to the full extent? How about Red Flag Car laws that take away driver's licenses and cars of those like Pelosi who did drive drunk and will potentially do so again unless his car is taken away for public safety?

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    While true, I would guess this "bill" was probably nowhere near what SAF paid for Heller, McDonald, or the cases that were denied cert afterward. The district and circuit court stops were basically them saying "We can't win here because circuit precedent is against us. Please send us to SCOTUS". There was no oral argument exc. The "bill" was probably Paul Clement at the SCOTUS stage.
    NRA/NYSRPA basically benefited from timing and having Barrett replacing RBG to ensure the court would take up the case.
    Does it matter? ;)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Does it matter? ;)

The NRA is a multi faceted organization , with the various sub parts having various degrees of operational autonomy .

Unlike a general perception of a focus on institutional self promotion , at times ILA does deliberately act on the DL to keep the NRA's name out of the spotlight while providing helpful assistance where needed .

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Text , History , and Tradition

I've been using " T, H, and T " to be a little more obvious about it until recognized shorthand(s) are established within the 2A community .
    I think the entire phrase needs to be written out until the entire populace understands it.

Too many acronyms and pseudo "Bills of Rights" covering everything from flyers to taxpayers dumbs down the population to the original ones that really count. A country has borders, a common culture, and common language.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom