• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    they would need the training under the new training curriculum.
    Correct.

Plus, the form -29-14 - varies. The instructor must indicate A or B.

A._______ INITIAL CERTIFICATION. THE APPLICANT LISTED ABOVE HAS RECEIVED A MINIMUM OF SIXTEEN (16) HOURS OF CLASSROOM TRAINING & QUALIFIED ON THE RANGE WITH A -----REVOLVER/SEMI-AUTOMATIC HANDGUN.

B. _______RENEWAL CERTIFICATION. THE APPLICANT LISTED ABOVE HAS RECEIVED A MINIMUM OF EIGHT (8) HOURS OF CLASSROOM TRAINING & QUALIFIED ON THE RANGE WITH A
    -----REVOLVER/SEMI-AUTOMATIC HANDGUN.

Attachments

• Qualification Sheet.pdf
      90 KB · Views: 48

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    It would appear that by leaving the training period out, under HB824 (2023 session), there is no training period requirement for the wear and carry permit any longer.
    Page 12 and 13 (below)

(A–1) THE FIREARMS TRAINING COURSE REQUIRED UNDER SUBSECTION (A) OF THIS SECTION SHALL INCLUDE:

(1) (I) FOR AN INITIAL APPLICATION, A MINIMUM OF 16 HOURS OF IN–PERSON INSTRUCTION BY A QUALIFIED HANDGUN INSTRUCTOR; OR

(II) FOR A RENEWAL APPLICATION, 8 HOURS OF IN–PERSON INSTRUCTION BY A QUALIFIED HANDGUN INSTRUCTOR;
    ---------------

The statute is silent on how recently the appropriate training was completed.

Attachments

• 824 2023.pdf
      5.8 MB · Views: 15

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Is it a different requirement than the original wear and carry class besides the class room hour ( content wise)?

If not, these class instructors should offer renewal classes @1/2 the price and allow the students to sit through the 2nd half of their 16 hr wear and carry classes.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Where I took the initial training the renewal training is indeed half price.
    I will schedule a class after April 8 to ensure any possible shenanigans are foreclosed for this cycle.

Can anybody link me to the Maryland definition of Qualified Handgun Instructor? Does MD presently recognise NRA instructors as qualified?

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Where I took the initial training the renewal training is indeed half price.
    I will schedule a class after April 8 to ensure any possible shenanigans are foreclosed for this cycle.

Can anybody link me to the Maryland definition of Qualified Handgun Instructor? Does MD presently recognise NRA instructors as qualified?

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Got it. Thanks. And the instructor that did my initial training is still listed on their handy link.

Am I correct in assuming that If i submit my renewal early, the first renewed permit will still expire 3 years from the last day of my birth month? IE there is no "punishment" for renewing early?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Is it a different requirement than the original wear and carry class besides the class room hour ( content wise)?

If not, these class instructors should offer renewal classes @1/2 the price and allow the students to sit through the 2nd half of their 16 hr wear and carry classes.
    Same requirements, half the time.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So, I asked Mark P about this, here is his reply:

Dan: So, 5-306(a)(9) states that "except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, has successfully completed prior to application and each renewal, a firearms training course approved by the Secretary that meets the minimum criteria specified in subsection (a-1) of this section,"

Section 5-306(a-1) states:

The firearms training course required under subsection (a) of this section shall include:
    (1)(i) for an initial application, a minimum of 16 hours of in-person instruction by a qualified handgun instructor; or
    (ii) for a renewal application, 8 hours of in-person instruction by a qualified handgun instructor;

I don't think it is reasonable to read these requirements other than requiring 8 hours of training for each renewal. That is confirmed by the MSP regulations, COMAR 29.03.02.12., which continues to require "(3) Proof of the applicants completion of, or exemption from, a Handgun Permit Training Course with at least 8 hours of instruction within the previous 2 years, in the manner prescribed by the Secretary on the permit renewal application."

The two year requirement was never in the statute, it has always been in the regs.

As I read it, the 8 hour training applies for each renewal and that training must have been received within two years of the application. Hard to use the initial training for the renewal unless it occurred within 2 years of the renewal, which seems unlikely, given that the initial permit is good for 2 years. Certainly, it would be even more unlikely (read impossible) to use the initial training for subsequent renewals which are each good for 3 years.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Got it. Thanks. And the instructor that did my initial training is still listed on their handy link.

Am I correct in assuming that If i submit my renewal early, the first renewed permit will still expire 3 years from the last day of my birth month? IE there is no "punishment" for renewing early?
    There is no "penalty" for renewing early, you new permit will expire on your birthday, three years after your current one expires.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    No. Same material must be covered in 1/2 the time.

In theory, instructors don't have to spend hours explaining the function of a revolver or the construction of a Pew.

bullet-diagram.png

The-Design-of-Cartridge-Construction-of-cartridge-1-Rubber-coat-2-Flammable-section.png
    800px-Cartridge_cross_section.svg.png

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    No. Same material must be covered in 1/2 the time.

In theory, instructors don't have to spend hours explaining the function of a revolver or the construction of a Pew.

bullet-diagram.png

The-Design-of-Cartridge-Construction-of-cartridge-1-Rubber-coat-2-Flammable-section.png
    800px-Cartridge_cross_section.svg.png
    We shall see, I am doing my first renewal class tomorrow.

I will cover everything in the MSP guide. But I truely think for a future renewals once everyone has gone thru the "new" stuff at least once there is a some flexibility. For example what makes up a round, do we really need to spend 30 mins explaining and showing pretty little pictures. Or do we say remember from the first class that a round is made up of a bullet, powder, case and primer. The exception being a rimfire where there is no primer just primer compound in the rim. done with that part.

I covered all that stuff before, taught the nra basic pistol with stuff added. So the course did not change except the anger and suicide stuff.

But yes I will be going over all of it tomorrow to cover my arse.

Before anyone asks not a public class, its thru a private club.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I try to make my renewal course as “different” as I can from the initial. And yes it’s about 1/2 the price of the initial course.

With the new requirements I think it will be tough to have students attend just one of the days of the initial course. Instead it should prob be done as it’s own course, well to be done right.

TD

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I try to make my renewal course as “different” as I can from the initial. And yes it’s about 1/2 the price of the initial course.

With the new requirements I think it will be tough to have students attend just one of the days of the initial course. Instead it should prob be done as it’s own course, well to be done right.

TD
    I agree, that's why the one I am doing is different than a normal class. I have done a mock class with a friend under the plan of being a renewal type class.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

TD
    I have worked on this as well. I have decided to continue to do renewals concurrently with initial, but I agree, it is nearly impossible to do in an 8 hour setting and remain within the law regarding the new curriculum. My new plan is to offer renewal students the option to take the entire 16 hour class with initial students (and get in more range time basically for free) or to stay after the classroom day and shoot the qualification. Basically a choice between a 9 hour 25 shot class or 16 hour class 125 shot class for renewal.

I charge less than half for renewal class - and - students who take my initial class can get their renewals for FREE if they bring a full price initial student to each of their renewals - forever.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Eventually, in 2 years or so , the market will mature to having more or less equal demand for initial vs renewal , once the initial post Bruen Permits mature .

By then , the Training Community will have offerings tailored to the proportional demand . Now , we are entering into the Transition Period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom