• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michael S

Nov 6, 2012
    Towson
    Just wondering. I have a few family members that toke the first handgun permit coarse. But did not apply for there permit. How long is original training class good for. I see the renewal is good for two years. Is your first class the same?

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I am planning on adjusting my course offerings to include more renewal dates starting this summer. I’m predicting in 2025 renewals will be needed by more people.

TD

Last edited:

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    We shall see, I am doing my first renewal class tomorrow.

I will cover everything in the MSP guide. But I truely think for a future renewals once everyone has gone thru the "new" stuff at least once there is a some flexibility.
    IMHO, mentioning each of the 70 odd pages in the MSP curriculum would meet the requirements, without the granular details. The original intent was to be a 'refresher' class.

For renewal students, this will be the first time covering about half of the new standards.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    IMHO, mentioning each of the 70 odd pages in the MSP curriculum would meet the requirements, without the granular details. The original intent was to be a 'refresher' class.

For renewal students, this will be the first time covering about half of the new standards.
    Class went fine, went over all 215 pages of my power point I made. It covers everything from the MSP guide line. Granted we breezed thru the what is a cartridge stuff pretty quick but did cover it. Spent most of the time on the law stuff, but while the PP has the cases and laws on it I did not quote the entire thing from the guide. Also its really kind of fun making fun of the angur management stuff, I did it in a way making it funny but getting the point across. Same with the the rest, gave out quite a few hugs during the suicide stuff.

The 3 guys all after the class during the review of class said they actually enjoyed the way I did it. Took it from boring try to stay awake to actually listened and had fun with it.

I gave out copies of the guide so they could read the laws and cases exactly as the SP quoted em.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Class went fine, went over all 215 pages of my power point I made. It covers everything from the MSP guide line. Granted we breezed thru the what is a cartridge stuff pretty quick but did cover it. Spent most of the time on the law stuff, but while the PP has the cases and laws on it I did not quote the entire thing from the guide. Also its really kind of fun making fun of the angur management stuff, I did it in a way making it funny but getting the point across. Same with the the rest, gave out quite a few hugs during the suicide stuff.

The 3 guys all after the class during the review of class said they actually enjoyed the way I did it. Took it from boring try to stay awake to actually listened and had fun with it.

I gave out copies of the guide so they could read the laws and cases exactly as the SP quoted em.
    I made sure to include a rainbows, smiles, happy thoughts and unicorns slide. I need to add animation to it.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Not to pick any nits but the expiration date is the last day of your birth month

I'd like to use this opportunity to note that my birthday is in mid-August; my permit came thru in early September 2022, so my initial permit will have been in effect for 2 yrs, 11 months.

I admit to slow-walking the app documents to make this happen.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    That's what I was talking about, I get an additional 9 days of coverage LOL
    If you renew before your permit expires, 9 days, 9 weeks, whatever, the new permit still expires on your birthday, three years after your current permit expires. So no, you don't get any extra days of coverage.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    If you renew before your permit expires, 9 days, 9 weeks, whatever, the new permit still expires on your birthday, three years after your current permit expires. So no, you don't get any extra days of coverage.
    Oh I see, since I haven't renewed yet I just assumed the renewals would expire on the last day of the month like the first one does.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Solid plan. IMHO, giving each student a copy (pdf by email or cheap thumb drive) covers you completely. Simpler than burning thru the printer.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Solid plan. IMHO, giving each student a copy (pdf by email or cheap thumb drive) covers you completely. Simpler than burning thru the printer.
    I did it by email, because yes that would just be too much of a waste of paper. I thought about doing thumb drives, but then I dont get paid for classes and trying to get the club to buy a ton of thumb drives would probably get some push back

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I did it by email, because yes that would just be too much of a waste of paper. I thought about doing thumb drives, but then I dont get paid for classes and trying to get the club to buy a ton of thumb drives would probably get some push back
    :)

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I do the cheap Amazon thumb drive as well. Can put a bunch of stuff on them for students.

TD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom