What has the worst recoil that you've ever shot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ukrainian might

Feb 26, 2021
    Shooting sporting clays with 3in duck load out of my single shot 12g. Must have shot 100 rounds, my shoulder was shot

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    For a rifle; my Savage 10 out of the box was a fly-weight and I shot 180 grain 308's out of it. Not comfortable. I have since put a limb saver pad on it and now it is perfect. Amazing the difference. Interesting thing is my Weatherby 30-06 is not bad and did not require any changes from it's factory configuration. Better rifle with better ergos.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Stock design makes a difference. I once had a Savage Weather Warrier and a Colt Light Rifle made by Ultra Lite Arms...both .30-06. I shot the one after the other with Ammo from the same box...150 grain. The Savage hurt...the Light Rifle was very manageable even though it weighed less.

Shoot a 1903 or 1903A3 with the standard stock against one with a pistol-grip C-stock and there's a world of difference in controllability.

Stock design makes a difference.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Agree. My hands are not shovels and I ran a mag and respectably hit the target center mass at the max range indoor. But the recoil on each shot was like having a wild Bobcat in my hands. 44 mag revolvers tend to be linear in recoil per my experience: manageable. I could barely control the recoil on the DE 50. Kind of like having sex with a crazy redhead hairdresser.

No pain with the DE though.

For pain it's +P 38 in the S&W Scandium J frames. After a few cylinders of +P it felt like I was getting rapped by a ruler in the web between the thumb and index finger. IDK if I even finished the first box before saying F this.

IDK who's foolish enough to try .357 in the PD version; not me. Ok maybe at a range; I always did like redheads.:D

I know someone that has a Scandium framed .44mag. I’m not sure you could pay me to shoot it, my hand hurts just thinking about it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The way some of you gripe about how it hurts your wrists, I was expecting at least one of you to complain about a duty sized pistol in 40 S&W.

With that out of the way, out of my handgun collection, shooting some of my 10mm handloads out of my 3" GP100. I shot .357's out of an SP101, the 10mm is worse.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    The way some of you gripe about how it hurts your wrists, I was expecting at least one of you to complain about a duty sized pistol in 40 S&W.

With that out of the way, out of my handgun collection, shooting some of my 10mm handloads out of my 3" GP100. I shot .357's out of an SP101, the 10mm is worse.

A simple question;what do you do for a living?

TOWcritter

Self Sufficent Sovereign
    This:
    I was in AT TOW Company 2nd Tank Battallion. Was a guided missileman. Went to 29 Palms for training and a tanker buddy asked if I wanted to go to the range with them. I jumped on it. That day I drove the M60A1, loaded, commanded and fired 12 live 120 MM rounds! What a blast! I actually hit the targets too!

Attachments

• m60a1.jpg
      m60a1.jpg
      16.5 KB · Views: 158

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I know someone that has a Scandium framed .44mag. I’m not sure you could pay me to shoot it, my hand hurts just thinking about it lol

I have one. My daughter shoots it with .44 mag loads. She loves recoil. I put some nice grips on it, in lieu of the wood. It’s very nice with .44 SPL loads.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I have one. My daughter shoots it with .44 mag loads. She loves recoil. I put some nice grips on it, in lieu of the wood. It’s very nice with .44 SPL loads.

Does she giggle when she shoots it?

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Friend had a sw460. Actually wasn’t too bad. But for pistol, that was about the worst.

Long gun. 12 double with buck. Both barrels at once. As someone else noted, it was pretty a stout recoil. The joys of youth.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    Long gun. 12 double with buck. Both barrels at once. As someone else noted, it was pretty a stout recoil. The joys of youth.

Especially with 3” shells! With one of the brothers we said we heard 2 bangs so he didn’t pull them at the same time. So we loaded it up again and just one bang that time. The blood was seeping out through his skin and on to his shirt. We all had black and blue marks. Badge of honor, not brains lol.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    A single shot pistol in 444 magnum. after 2 boxes of ammo my wrists had brused purple from the recoil.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    10” 30-30 Contender and 5.5” full house 475 Linbaugh Ruger. Neither was bad recoil, both required a conscious very firm grip to keep groups together. Can’t fight the recoil…just manage it.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Serbu Super Shorty

Attachments

• super_shorty_870.jpg
      super_shorty_870.jpg
      21.4 KB · Views: 137

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    .45/70 Coast Guard Commemorative Line gun. Had a medallion in the butt plate and you could have made them for about a week from the imprint in my shoulder!!!

Back story: I was at a MD Fire Rescue Institute Water Rescue Short Course in College Park. There was an 8' chain link fence across the back of the training grounds. There was a 20' wide vehicle gate (two 10' panels) in the fence. We using using a .22 line gun and the object was to put the line as close to where the two gates met as possible. After observing the several people in front of me hit the hinge side of the gate to the left, I held on the hinge side to the right, and laid the line right between the two panels. To which the instructor replied "You Win"!!! Now when Boots Raynor told you "You Win" it was definitely fixing to get interesting and not necessarily in a fun way......I was handed the bolt action 45/70 with the advice "Hold it tight and you won't need any windage". I took aim at the center of the gate and cut it loose. Damn!!! It launched it's .45 cal by 12"-15" long brass rod with the pull string attached straight over the middle of the gate. Boots laughed at me "....and that was the lightest load!!!"

P.S. to those who are unaware, Edwin "Boots" Raynor was a long time Chief at Rivera Beach VFD and led their team to the International Rescue Association's World Championship in the late 60s. He died in the line of duty in the early 80s. Yes, Edwin Raynor Blvd. in the 'Dena is named for him.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom