Harford County
    Looking for a good knife for teenager that:
    1) stand abuse and is not a "show" knife
    2) reasonably priced so if it gets lost I wont be crying
    3) folder
    4) a more traditional style no zombie killing devices
    5) for general use
    6) made in the usa

and most importantly - should be of good quality so that it hopefully can be carried into adulthood and passed on to grandchildren?

For reference - spyderco, zt, benchmade all look like good candidates - I just have no idea as to what I need to look for in the knife to meet these criteria!

Thanks

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I carry mostly Spydercos so I would go that way . But also look at the CRKT line , nice knives for decent money especially for a teens first knife .

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    This should be everyone's first knife...

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/BU...earch-as-you-type&utm_campaign=folding hunter
    A buck folding hunter is a classic that is cheap, tough, and drips of classic american knife design. At $40, it's easy on the wallet and a pretty good value.

If you want to spend less loot and have a world knife classic, the opinel is a GREAT knife for the money...
    http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/OP7/Opinel-Locking-Blade-knife-4-inch-Closed
    The blade profile makes this a natural at cutting essentially anything. It is my #1 most used knife in the kitchen, since it slices so damned well. The steel is a little soft, but is very clean and can be made to be very very sharp with ease.

If you're looking to spend some more and care more for utility over tradition or anything else, A ZT301 is hard to beat...and for a first knife that is going to be abused, why not get a blem for $100 less than new.
    http://kershawguy.com/products-page/zt-blems/zt-0301-blem/

They lock up like a bank vault and have s30v steel. Their grind makes the relatively thick blade a pretty awesome slicer. Plus it's the knife choice of Leroy Jethro Gibbs
    gibbs.jpg

If you want to spend more and want a truly well-built knife that can be an heirloom, Umnumzaan is the best knife for the money that you can get...
    http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/CR...5-inch-S35VN-Stonewash-Blade-Titanium-Handles

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    I like swiss army knives myself. There are so many options. It also depends on what he will be using the knife for.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Sundancer said:
    All of the knife-makers that have been listed so far make quality knives; provided you are looking at decent quality steel, you should be fine with blade-quality. Handle material really comes down to what his/her preference is: aluminum is stronger but heavier, which may be uncomfortable if you're wearing slacks; G10 is reliable provided that it is made by a quality manufacturer. Durability is also dependent on what you're going to be doing with the blade - ie: blade durability v. cutting ability.

This wiki article can help you better understand blade materials:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_blade_materials

Sundancer said:
    Kids will lose things; I wouldn't spend more than $100 unless this was a graduation gift. That said, it depends on how responsible your teen is - some teens respect their tools and take great care of them. You can generally find 50% off of MSRP by purchasing them from independent sellers on ebay, and most of these trusted manufacturers will still honor their warranties (you're getting a saving by cutting out the dealer). You can also purchase "blemished" blades that are cosmetically damaged but functional.

Sundancer said:
    As this is going to be a gift, I would let them choose the style. While they'll probably outgrow the zombie-killing widget phase, they'll take better care of something they have a hand in choosing. If you really want to avoid those gimmicky knives, you can pre-sort the results a bit without letting your teen know.

I would suggest looking at: Kershaw (ZT), Spyderco, Benchmade, CRKT

I really can't give you suggestions about specific knives, because I think that your teen will want to choose something that fits their own preference. Good luck!

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Good question OP. My son's first knife is a Swiss Army with his name on it, but I'm now contemplating a "real" knife for him. Leaning heavily toward a Spyderco because of the utility of their blade design and I also want a lockback for him. Something like this:
    http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/SP...G10-Satin-Plain-Blade-Stainless-Steel-Handles

Similar to the one I carry ever day except I carry the Endura stainless model with a plain edge , I don't like serrated blades or partially serrated .

I have found over the years that all the other knives handles I have will over time bend . Not the blades but the handles from being carried in the pocket while at work . It causes the blade to drag/rub on the liners when opening and closing . I carry mine in my back pocket so sitting on them , crawling around in cabinets and working on equipment stresses the handles . This caused a Benchmade to fall apart .

I have been carrying a steel Endura for close to ten years and have not had a single issue with it .

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

Dad make sure that he never takes it to school to show it to his buddies...

I like the Kershaw Folder 1620GRYST...

Mine came from WalMart = about $30.00

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    Traditional isnt the word the comes to mind when I see it, but I bought a spyderco endura for myself when I was 17 and Ive been carrying it for 4 years now. For me its perfect.
    Second what sgt preston said. No matter how small or nonthreatening the knife is the public school systems over the top zero tolerance policy will get a student thrown out for the rest of the year. I heard of a student who went deer hunting with his school bag and left his knife in there by mistake. He ended up getting expelled for the remainder of the year. Something to think about.

mr phil

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    beach
    Sgt Preston here...

Dad make sure that he never takes it to school to show it to his buddies...

I like the Kershaw Folder 1620GRYST...

Mine came from WalMart = about $30.00

You cant go wrong with the Kershaw folders. Guaranteed for life. Anything breaks they fix it. I've had mine for 15 years and got it at Walmart. Got one for my daughter when she needed one.

When my son was still in school he kept his in a tool box with his tools in his trunk when he was in school. However these days even that could get him in trouble if they start searching cars for some reason.

crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    I'll never forget the day I got to pick out my first "real" pocket knife... Part-way through 8th grade (1999) I worked side jobs and saved to get a Benchmade 710 Axis Lock from Chesapeake Knife & Tool. To this day I still carry & use it, and their life sharp program keeps the knife in good working order. That is one reliable piece that you'll have for a lifetime.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Spyderco Delica or Syderco Endura if you like the traditional lockback...you can get used ones for $30-ish dollars. Great knives with great steel.

Perhaps a Benchmade Griptilian as well (little more expensive) or some of Benchmade's Red Class knives (or Spyderco Byrds).

Kershaw makes some nice assisted openers such as the Leek, Chive, or OSOSweet. However, the blade steel they use isn't as good as Spyderco on the same price-point.

Buck makes some nice knives as well, but again the steel isn't comparable to Spyderco or Benchmade at the price-point.

Overall, I think the Delica in VG-10 steel is the best choice.

cb51

Looking for a good knife for teenager that:
    3) folder
    5) for general use
    6) made in the usa

and most importantly - should be of good quality so that it hopefully can be carried into adulthood and passed on to grandchildren?

For reference - spyderco, zt, benchmade all look like good candidates - I just have no idea as to what I need to look for in the knife to meet these criteria!

Thanks

How old is youyrson, what does he like to do, what kind of environment does he spend his time in the most, when not in school? It makes a difference.

Why not start him off with a small multitool or Swiss Army Knife? It will have a knife blade, plus have a few basic tools that really do come in handy living in a civilized 21st century existence.

A SAK, will teach him basic good knife handling skills, plus look a bit more sheeple friendly. Not having a lock on the blade will make him very aware of what not to do with a knife. I've seen two very bad accidents with young men who never learned how to safely handle a knife, and put way too much faith in the high tech locks of their knives. One had his right index finger totally amputated, the other had a very bad almost amputation with severed ligaments and nerve damage. He got some use back after a few operations.

I know that when I learned to handle my first knife, long before Buck came out with their 110 folding hunter in 1963, all we had were the slip joint jackknives of the day. We learned how to use a knife with safety in mind. If we messed up, we got a good lesson in what not to do.

Give him a Victorinox recruit or a small Leatherman.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I go back to the days of the Buck 110; I loved that knife, but it was big and heavy and destroyed pockets. Putting nostalgia aside, I think the Benchmade 710 is a modern classic.

I have a few A G Russell folders, which I no longer carry since tthe Benchmade Axis lock has totally won me over. But the Russell knives have a very "traditional" look and feel. Something with good stag furniture and a decent lock would be appropriate, perhaps.

The Paul Poehlman axial lock knives are also pretty interesting, and open almost as easily as a Benchmade Axis.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Honestly, everyone's first knife should be one of these:

C-KNIFE-TINK-RD.jpg

I still have mine. The cool lockblade collection can come later.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    There is a blade for every purpose, and without the details on what he plans to cut, it's near impossible to make a decent recommendation. An inexpensive knife that won't make you cry if he breaks or loses it is also diametrically opposed to a family heirloom to be passed down for generations. Best bet would be to go to a shop like Bass Pro, Cabelas, or far better would be Country knives in Lancaster, or Edgeworks in Frederick. Might be cheaper online, but without prior blade experience he wouldn't have much to compare it to, and knowledgeable help would be good to have, handling the knife he plans to keep for a while is a necessity. I would save the heirloom knife for when he is older, and his chance of appreciating it, and holding onto it are better for a pricey custom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom