• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    For a good pocket folding knife that comes sharp as all heck ( got arm carving merit badge that year I got it a summer camp ) is the single blade Swiss army knife. I got mine for about 12 dollars back in the day and I still use it from time to time .
    hAVQTFyClp9KAQFIuPtMZA4EamQXiO2czkFCAo6_8bLeUDvJgEGfPSdRlImPUcKI4ZUIog6Pd4agmQYTm9XXWgudfQJKmRqJprlWPpkvoekUeeUwofkmnVDMnvvbl9OJXS9g9Rny5naFrPqKE4kIPJ-3XReoAIu27ePvwZLos55z=s220-c

They are now 20 on line .

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I like swiss army knives myself. There are so many options. It also depends on what he will be using the knife for.

+1 Victorinox

Swiss made, built like tanks and they offer ones that have pocket clips and locking blades. And they are inexpensive.

The steel is notoriously soft but easy to sharpen and incredibly corrosion resistant.

Additionally, Swiss army knives eschew the "tactical" look and have pretty much remained the same for decades.

If Buck was still made in the US I would recommend one but since they are not, I cannot.

If you want a traditional looking knife with steel that will hold an edge better look at some of the offerings from Case knives.

Danketch71

Mar 28, 2009
    THe city that bleeds
    Didn't know Buck sold out. In that case, I cut myself severely for the first time, approximately 5 minutes after pops gave me a Victornox Swiss Army Knife when I was 7-8.

Thats what I recommend to start, then see if you can pick up an older, 'Mercan made Buck or two on fleabay to give the boy later.

I learned a few things from that first cut- first, to be able to do some good first aid and hide it from the parents so they wouldn't take my stuff from me, and how to properly use a non-locking knife.

Oh, I forgot, Leatherman's are out now. I was thinking of when I was a child. Get a Leatherman. Swiss army knives are business class compared to a Leatherman. I carry and use a Leatherman Wave daily. It rocks.

cb51

If Buck was still made in the US I would recommend one but since they are not, I cannot.

Please check your facts before you post something like that. For your information, Buck still makes most of their knives in the U.S. in Idaho. Only some of their line os made overseas. The 300 series pocket knives, the 110 and 112 folding hunters, and other models are made at the Idaho plant. Idaho, that's in the U.S.A. last time I checked a map.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I'd say a Buck 110 folder. Walmart has em for $38. It's a nice classic American made folder that looks good and is very functional. Just don't try to pry a door open with the tip then cry if it snaps off like I hear so many preppers/survivalist complain about.

First knife

My first was a BSA knife, similar to a Swiss Army, but those knives don't lock.

Attached is a pic I took yesterday, as we left BSA summer camp, we happened to stop at a Cabela's on the way home. (Woo hoo!)

Where do you think all those boys wound up? Yup, the knife counter!

The first year scouts had just earned their "Toten Chips" so they wanted a knife. We steered them all towards good locking folders like Gerber, Spyderco, and Kershaw. I steered them away from assisted openers and large knifes.

By the way, Cabela's has the Kershaw "Reflex", normally about $40-46, on sale for $19.99. Of course Mr. Scoutmaster got one too.

Attachments

• IMG_3152.jpg
      IMG_3152.jpg
      82.3 KB · Views: 103

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom