• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I’m hearing that food prices are going to increase due to rising fuel costs, inflation, and also lack of fertilizer as a result of the Russian sanctions. Make sure to inventory your preps and fill in any holes!

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I’m hearing that food prices are going to increase due to rising fuel costs, inflation, and also lack of fertilizer as a result of the Russian sanctions. Make sure to inventory your preps and fill in any holes!

****Yea this. Food prices are gonna get really really ugly next year. No question people will notice the increase, especially anything imported.

Energy prices as well - which affect food prices and the price of pretty much everything else. Even stuff like dog food and cat food is supposed to increase in price a lot next year.

No mean tweets tho.

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    Anyone have a good mylar bag sealer. I bought big mylars and well i dont have a good way to seal. Will those small hand held ones work well enough or do i need a 16" one?

Exchange 3 20lb propane tanks and picked up 12 1 lbs tanks

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Anyone have a good mylar bag sealer. I bought big mylars and well i dont have a good way to seal. Will those small hand held ones work well enough or do i need a 16" one?

Exchange 3 20lb propane tanks and picked up 12 1 lbs tanks

A laundry iron and then use a 1x4 to give you a good edge.

Wissel

Apr 29, 2022
    Baltimore
    *****Aren't you concerned you will become grotesquely fat from eating all of those carbs! :rolleyes:

(I eat a lot of rice too...btw. Love the stuff.)

The key to a good diet is balance!

See pic of gentleman below..
    That's why I include a bowflex as part of my prep supplies

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Nerd item: got a small wifi router that can act backwards (as a bridge) so it can jump on a mobile phone’s hotspot and share it as a local wired Ethernet connection.

You don’t always want to (or can’t always) have everything jump wirelessly on your phone’s hotspot if your normal fiber/coax goes down. By using a proper little router, you can help shape which of your devices gets what share of the phone’s limited bandwidth, etc. You can also plug in a POE switch and keep your security cameras and whatnot working.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    I recently finished my biggest prep ever...moving out of the row home and into a small ranch on a couple acres of land.

Finally, I have the room for a decent garden. Finally I'm no longer sharing walls with neighbors and have some privacy. The property has very little visibility from the street, with a steep driveway for access. I don't have any close neighbors. I have more space to store preps. I have the room for a decent workshop. Well water and septic, so less dependence on urban infrastructure.

A little too close to civilization for my preference, but a massive upgrade from where we were. A generator is on the 'must buy' list. Solar at some point. I cannot wait to get the garden going, although I'm not sure I'll be able to get to it in time for this years peak growing season. I'll at least get it started, though.

I feel like we are in a definitely improved position, assuming of course we have the time to get everything going as a mini-homestead before something untoward happens.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I recently finished my biggest prep ever...moving out of the row home and into a small ranch on a couple acres of land.

Finally, I have the room for a decent garden. Finally I'm no longer sharing walls with neighbors and have some privacy. The property has very little visibility from the street, with a steep driveway for access. I don't have any close neighbors. I have more space to store preps. I have the room for a decent workshop. Well water and septic, so less dependence on urban infrastructure.

A little too close to civilization for my preference, but a massive upgrade from where we were. A generator is on the 'must buy' list. Solar at some point. I cannot wait to get the garden going, although I'm not sure I'll be able to get to it in time for this years peak growing season. I'll at least get it started, though.

I feel like we are in a definitely improved position, assuming of course we have the time to get everything going as a mini-homestead before something untoward happens.
    Congratulations! Sounds like a great place to call home.

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County

congratulations

Just got 2 Sawyer Mini Water Filtration Systems.

I can not rave enough about how well this product works in the wilderness.

I like hearing that! Sounds like I made a good choice.

Concur. Though I strongly recommend the squeeze bag vs the gravity solution. They have both.

My sawyer has both options. Gravity takes too long

That was one of the units I lab tested in my SHTF water thread. It took coliform counts from TNTC (too numerous to count) to undetectable levels.
    I have no idea how long they last before clogging, but they do a hell of a good job at removing bacteria.

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    That was one of the units I lab tested in my SHTF water thread. It took coliform counts from TNTC (too numerous to count) to undetectable levels.
    I have no idea how long they last before clogging, but they do a hell of a good job at removing bacteria.
    I have filtered questionable water while hiking through dolly sods, WV. Still standing to talk about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom