• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Congratulations! Sounds like a great place to call home.
    Thanks. It feels like home.

Congrats. It is freeing to improve your tactical situation.

might I suggest a consideration of ingress/them and egress/you before too long. Obstacles and gating are your friends. Lighting can be too.

again, congrats on what’s truly a big step

Happily, it would be very, very easy to restrict access. If nothing else, and if things got rough in a hurry, ten minutes with a chain saw would make access quite difficult from any normal access point. Egress would then be difficult as well, of course; but you can't have everything. It would take very little time to put a chain across the driveway, with no realistic way of going around. Of course, bolt cutters are widely available, so like most things it would be there to keep honest people honest. A gate would take some thought. In any case, it is already likely to discourage casual interlopers. In the case of a determined zombie incursion, the place is reasonably defensible from an elevated position. That wasn't on the must have purchase list as I figured just getting somewhat out of the city would be a massive security improvement; but I'm happy to have it. I have probably read too many post apocalyptic books for my own good.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    I have filtered questionable water while hiking through dolly sods, WV. Still standing to talk about it.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

It's been awhile since I used to go backpacking; but back in the 90s I was deep in the NH mountains with some friends in the middle of summer. After a long, long hike in we finally made camp where the map suggested there would be a stream. We were completely out of water and didn't see a stream anywhere. Eventually one of my buddies said "uh...I think I found it" and pointed to a little mosquito infested puddle of mud. I had just picked up a water filter just before that trip and I filtered that water and drank maybe a liter of it. My buddies were skeptical and drank nothing, spending the night hungry (we needed water to rehydrate food...even boiling it made them nervous...I ate well) and desperately thirsty. They watched me waiting for the other shoe to drop. Never did. I felt great. By morning they were drinking and cooking with filtered mud hole water as well.

That was thirty-ish years ago. Made me a believer in filters.

Patriot

Dec 31, 2011
    Harford co.
    Anyone have a good mylar bag sealer. I bought big mylars and well i dont have a good way to seal. Will those small hand held ones work well enough or do i need a 16" one?

Exchange 3 20lb propane tanks and picked up 12 1 lbs tanks

I use my wife's hair straightener when she isn't looking. Works well for 5 gallon bucket liners where the confined space can make an iron unwieldy.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It's been awhile since I used to go backpacking; but back in the 90s I was deep in the NH mountains with some friends in the middle of summer. After a long, long hike in we finally made camp where the map suggested there would be a stream. We were completely out of water and didn't see a stream anywhere. Eventually one of my buddies said "uh...I think I found it" and pointed to a little mosquito infested puddle of mud. I had just picked up a water filter just before that trip and I filtered that water and drank maybe a liter of it. My buddies were skeptical and drank nothing, spending the night hungry (we needed water to rehydrate food...even boiling it made them nervous...I ate well) and desperately thirsty. They watched me waiting for the other shoe to drop. Never did. I felt great. By morning they were drinking and cooking with filtered mud hole water as well.

That was thirty-ish years ago. Made me a believer in filters.
    Had something similar happen near Blue Ridge PKW when hiking the AT for senior week a couple of decades ago. My friends and I had planned out trip out well for 5 days. Day 4 started and we hiked into a burn zone that wasn't on the map. Kept hiking and tried to find the springs on the map (no issues finding springs and streams to refill water earlier days). Nothing. Kept going and going planning on around 12-14 miles a day for the trip. Well, we got to lunch time around 10 miles in with still nothing and realized we'd just need to push it till we could find a place to camp. We did run in to a parking area that had a water fountain we could fill up with around mile 10 when we stopped for lunch. But we weren't supposed to camp in burn areas. So we kept going and going. Finally around 10 o'clock at night we got to the shelter that we were going to finish day 5 near and then get picked up the morning of the 6th day. 26 miles, lots of vertical change, not a ton of water because it was hot so most of us were only carrying like 2 liters of water. So we were basically all empty a few hours before.

We filled up our water, slept the night and 3 of us (group of 6) hiked back to the ranger station and parking lot a mile back to call my one friend's dad who was our ride and he came and got us that night (like 16hrs early). We were pretty spent.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Real Tourniquets came in. All vehicle, go and bags get one.

Not busting chops but…is that one for you or one for somebody else?

…if it is a whomever needs it, might I suggest a second. JIC. Where there may be need for one, there’s a decent chance a second would be a welcome addition.

or not

great add btw

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    Not busting chops but…is that one for you or one for somebody else?

…if it is a whomever needs it, might I suggest a second. JIC. Where there may be need for one, there’s a decent chance a second would be a welcome addition.

or not

great add btw
    Assumption was always for whoever had the bag. I ordered enough to double up on several bags. Good suggestion, thanks

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    I recently finished my biggest prep ever...moving out of the row home and into a small ranch on a couple acres of land.

Finally, I have the room for a decent garden. Finally I'm no longer sharing walls with neighbors and have some privacy. The property has very little visibility from the street, with a steep driveway for access. I don't have any close neighbors. I have more space to store preps. I have the room for a decent workshop. Well water and septic, so less dependence on urban infrastructure.

A little too close to civilization for my preference, but a massive upgrade from where we were. A generator is on the 'must buy' list. Solar at some point. I cannot wait to get the garden going, although I'm not sure I'll be able to get to it in time for this years peak growing season. I'll at least get it started, though.

I feel like we are in a definitely improved position, assuming of course we have the time to get everything going as a mini-homestead before something untoward happens.
    Congratulations! Good luck with the homesteading. I recommend a small flock of chickens and start an asparagus bed (if you like asparagus). The asparagus will take a couple years before you can start harvesting but after that you have a nice perennial crop.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    That was one of the units I lab tested in my SHTF water thread. It took coliform counts from TNTC (too numerous to count) to undetectable levels.
    I have no idea how long they last before clogging, but they do a hell of a good job at removing bacteria.
    I have them in the family’s bags. Just do a little reading ( not referring to SG who I am sure knows more about this stuff than the rest of us put together!) on the issues if you use them in sub freezing weather, or to be more specific use them and then they freeze while still wet inside. Filter ruptures and you have no idea that it’s not working anymore. A least not at first…
    I use my wife's hair straightener when she isn't looking. Works well for 5 gallon bucket liners where the confined space can make an iron unwieldy.
    Ditto. Works great for Mylar bags.

Last edited:

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    Ammo seams to be returning so I've been adding more Handgun JHP to the stock pile in the Presidential deadly 9mm. and more 30 rd. AR mags and added to my backup of Glock mags also .
    A local market had whole chicken leg with thighs for 55 cents a pound so we got 60 lbs. , Separated the Thighs from the drum sticks and their was a section of backbone too that I'll roast and make stock with . All vacuum sealed in meal size portions .

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I buy the legs and thighs when on sale and cut the meat from the bones, cut across the grain and into smaller section. Then stuff into pint jars and pressure can. Lasts a long time and is great for fixing "what's for dinner" quickly.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Not just that, Drain the juice, crush with back of a fork, and heat a bit to dry the moisture and BBQ sauce and pull deer sandwiches.

Onions and peppers in a pan and sauté then add drained deer, spices to taste and easy fajitas.

Drain juice into pan, dump deer on plate and crush with fork. Stir in cream of mushroom soup to juice and mix well. Start heating and add deer. Once warm serve over mashed potatoes, toast, biscuits or noodles. It's good like this, but can't fisgure the best spices to add to this. Spicy and Italian is not clicking for me yet.

I'm all out of caned deer. I need deer rumps for sliced steak 'ums, steaks for the grill. I will can all the necks, shanks and front shoulders.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    With all this talk about banning Mags and those evil black rifles , Also the lung ripper 9mm. I started adding more Magazines to the stash , I found a good number of online places were out already . Did add 2k rds of 9mm JHP for a fair price with free shipping .

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Congratulations! Good luck with the homesteading. I recommend a small flock of chickens and start an asparagus bed (if you like asparagus). The asparagus will take a couple years before you can start harvesting but after that you have a nice perennial crop.
    In theory chickens are good. But there are times I'd be out of town for a week or two and I don't have a chicken sitter.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    With all this talk about banning Mags and those evil black rifles , Also the lung ripper 9mm. I started adding more Magazines to the stash , I found a good number of online places were out already . Did add 2k rds of 9mm JHP for a fair price with free shipping .
    I probably have 1k of 9mm JHP; but if things ever get to the point where I need to use that much I think it is time to break out the rifle. That's a lot of defense ammo. Of course, it could become very valuable in the future, so perhaps not a bad purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom