• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonewolf220

Oct 10, 2014
    Hampstead
    The argument seems to be to refuse any compromise until one of us is ground into the dirt.

Maybe that works for you, but I don't love the idea.

You keep saying compromise. But the other side hasn't shown what they'll give us. Them letting us keep guns for now (but with more limitations, red tape, etc.) isn't exactly a compromise

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Okay, so we're in agreement in principle, but you question the practicality. Totally fair.

Let me suggest that even if it cant happen, it might be smart to appear like the more reasonable party in the political debate by putting forth the principled idea that the opposition won't accept.

We're the ones who want to put guns on the street so children can kill each other. How is that ever going to change? :shrug:

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Any idea that the opposition doesn't accept will not be viewed as principled. It will be characterized and portrayed as dangerous and irresponsible.

Yep. MSM will mangle and twist it to appear unprincipled and crazy. We're not dealing with classroom debates. There's no good spirit or fairness. We're being non-stop assaulted with verbal brass knuckles and the stakes are very high.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The argument seems to be to refuse any compromise until one of us is ground into the dirt.

Maybe when you realize that compromise means jack-shit with either side, you'll start to see the light.

Compromise would mean both parties get something out of the deal. On a National (and especially State) level, the only party walking away with a true gain - hasn't been the 'reasonable and compromising' firearms community.

"I've tried being reasonable, I didn't like it."

WIMN

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 10, 2016
    I get the feeling some of the folks here must be new to MD or new to firearm ownership in MD. I'll try to bring you up to speed tomorrow. For now, even though I don't believe there is any negotiating with 2A Terminators, I'll offer this as a hypothetical trade for them and whatever anti's may be watching to ponder: Universal background checks for Constitutional carry. If you can own it in America, you can carry it in America. Wouldn't that be common sense legislation?

Haha, well if you're talking about me, no, Im not new. But I would take that trade in a heartbeat, yes. Assuming that is the only tradeoff.

WIMN

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 10, 2016
    You keep saying compromise. But the other side hasn't shown what they'll give us. Them letting us keep guns for now (but with more limitations, red tape, etc.) isn't exactly a compromise

Right, but there are two sides to that aren't there? NO ONE is willingly having the conversation.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    But the other side doesn't give. That's what's been said in multiple threads on this same issue. Sure it be nice if they gave us something, just like it be nice if I won the lotto. But the odds of either happening are probably the same

Refuse any compromise ???

Please enlighten me on exactly which "compromise" has been put forth by the antis.

The "compromise" is always something like "well, we could ask for all rifles to be banned but for now we'll settle for just ar's"

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Yeah I'm not sure the purpose is to reduce crime, per se. More to limit the capabilities of criminals. Or at least inconvenience them.

It is no less of a inconvenience for the criminal to get a gun, than a drug addict to get drugs, much more of a inconvenience for law abiding citizens.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Right, but there are two sides to that aren't there? NO ONE is willingly having the conversation.

There's no conversation to be had when the other side is bound and determined to walk you off of a cliff, where the only compromise they will ever offer is which path you take to the cliff's edge.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

Can you come to Annapolis on any of the Gun Bill days? MSI has a schedule on their website. You can see for yourself how the "conversation" goes.

Alternatively, you can simulate the conversation by standing about eight inches away from your sturdiest western facing wall. Now read off this entire thread to the wall, and wait for it's reply. Report back to us with the results. (but be sure to have printed out 25 copies first)

WIMN

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 10, 2016
    Refuse any compromise ???

Please enlighten me on exactly which "compromise" has been put forth by the antis.

The "compromise" is always something like "well, we could ask for all rifles to be banned but for now we'll settle for just ar's"

I'm not saying the antis are doing anything correctly. I'm saying we should be. If we identify something that can be done, and done in a way that works for everyone, then we should make that case.

Incidentally, few people, if anyone at all, have actually bothered to mention whether they think my suggestion has any merit. Kinda disappointing. I understand the whole context thing, but maybe take a minute to analyze it by itself.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Can’t yell “fire” in a crowded theatre if there’s no fire.

Some public demonstrations need permits and may be allowed only in certain locations.

Can’t knowingly publish lies about someone.

I’m sure there’s other examples.

Wrong you can yell fire in a crowded theater, nothing stops you. You may get charged after the fact if there is no fire. Yelling fire in crowded theater or venue when there is none can be very dangerous in the mass exodus that is produced and usually that is what you will be charged with.

Permits for assembly usually are for scheduling so you do not have 10 groups in the same area and in some cases the area may be NOT public property.

BoR only protects against govt infringement not private party.

WIMN

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 10, 2016
    Can you come to Annapolis on any of the Gun Bill days? MSI has a schedule on their website. You can see for yourself how the "conversation" goes.

Alternatively, you can simulate the conversation by standing about eight inches away from your sturdiest western facing wall. Now read off this entire thread to the wall, and wait for it's reply. Report back to us with the results. (but be sure to have printed out 25 copies first)

Haha okay you're right about that. I've seen footage.

To be fair, I DID post this in the national 2a issues forum. I understand that MD is kinda screwed up, and rational conversation won't win the day here.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    I'm not saying the antis are doing anything correctly. I'm saying we should be. If we identify something that can be done, and done in a way that works for everyone, then we should make that case.

Incidentally, few people, if anyone at all, have actually bothered to mention whether they think my suggestion has any merit. Kinda disappointing. I understand the whole context thing, but maybe take a minute to analyze it by itself.

You just don't get it. "We" have put forth many reasonable proposals. When "they" are not willing to bend in the slightest it doesn't matter

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

Only flaw in your simulation is he gets to talk to the wall. In Annapolis, won't happen since anti-2A speakers are given all the time slots right up until the political wall calls end of day and leaves the building.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Only flaw in your simulation is he gets to talk to the wall. In Annapolis, won't happen since anti-2A speakers are given all the time slots right up until the political wall calls end of day and leaves the building.

They gave the pro side what, 2 minutes per, back in 2013?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Rofl. Mole.

Honestly man, do you think yourself better than the progressives you critique? Sitting here on the throne of this pitiful institution, you believe yourself to be a wielder of moral authority? You're their mirror image, my friend.

Yeah, well I think we can all agree that bans of certain weapons are silly, and we should be able to have CCW.

So you're making these arguments, for concealed carry and against firearm bans, with progressives? In the spirit of compromise of course.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

Well first we need to work on the science behind ESP and other extrasensory skills. Then we need to create an agency that use these people call pre-cogs and their jobs are solely to predict who is going to kill someone before it happens so that we can send in the police to arrest people on what they might do.

Until then the only thing needing fixing besides the FBI doing their due diligence on tips, and local LE doing their due diligence on tips, maybe require 100% reporting to NICS. But wait we have states like MD that uses their own system and other states be damned, who cares that bob has been arrested on beating on his girl friend and threatening to shoot her. Well at least he can't by gun MD but since none of his info hit NICS he can go to PA and buy a gun...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom