What's it worth? Pair of 36 cal pistols....

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CaptainVane

Mar 4, 2023
    Perry Hall
    Was it a 1971 colt commemorative? People pay a premium for those. The Robert E Lee one has a round trigger guard and the Gen Grant one has a square back if I remember.

People argue whether they are ‘real’ Colts but for a shooter or even a display piece, they are a step above the standard Uberti’s as I understand it.
    It wasnt any special edition. Tried to find, cant. It had a black iron trigger guard, not London, not ASM, Ub, or Pietta. if I think of it I will post, drawing a blank, I look at so many, I dont recall. On gunbroker. I dont know how or if possible to look back to auctions that are closed. Wife really like the SQ Back, but when got expensive, we agreed to just get new.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Was it a 1971 colt commemorative? People pay a premium for those. The Robert E Lee one has a round trigger guard and the Gen Grant one has a square back if I remember.

People argue whether they are ‘real’ Colts but for a shooter or even a display piece, they are a step above the standard Uberti’s as I understand it.

2nd Gen "black box" Colts are actual Colt, 3rd Gen "Signature Series" are nothing but a Uberti with a Colt name on it and not worth it if you plan to shoot it.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    It wasnt any special edition. Tried to find, cant. It had a black iron trigger guard, not London, not ASM, Ub, or Pietta. if I think of it I will post, drawing a blank, I look at so many, I dont recall. On gunbroker. I dont know how or if possible to look back to auctions that are closed. Wife really like the SQ Back, but when got expensive, we agreed to just get new.
    Gotcha.

2nd Gen "black box" Colts are actual Colt, 3rd Gen "Signature Series" are nothing but a Uberti with a Colt name on it and not worth it if you plan to shoot it.
    OK thanks. I always had in my mind if there was 'the signature' on the back strap to pass unless it was a stupid good price.

I recently went to an IP that had the 71 commemorative Grant model in the case with all the extras. It was nice and priced reasonably but I personally don't care for the square back trigger guard. Not sure if I would shoot an unfired one anyway. Grant or Lee model....

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I decided to buy these. I got them last night. I'll be checking them out this week, cleaning them, and hopefully a range test this coming weekend. He threw in a few more extras too including a lb of black powder. I was reading up on how to actually load these I will for sure need to practice that!

The Saint

BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    I decided to buy these. I got them last night. I'll be checking them out this week, cleaning them, and hopefully a range test this coming weekend. He threw in a few more extras too including a lb of black powder. I was reading up on how to actually load these I will for sure need to practice that!

It's fairly easy once you've done it a few times...as long as you keep them clean they are no problem. Seriously, if you shoot them...first thing you do when you get home is clean; not eat, not relax, not take a shower....clean your guns hah. Creates a good standard for gun maintenance if your guns are always clean, anyway.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    It's fairly easy once you've done it a few times...as long as you keep them clean they are no problem. Seriously, if you shoot them...first thing you do when you get home is clean; not eat, not relax, not take a shower....clean your guns hah. Creates a good standard for gun maintenance if your guns are always clean, anyway.

My 50 caliber Traditions pistol uses a patch to seat the ball. It looks like these use an interference fit? Also not sure if these barrels are rifled. My Traditions is - I think 28-1. What is the likelihood of a chain fire with these?

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    My 50 caliber Traditions pistol uses a patch to seat the ball. It looks like these use an interference fit? Also not sure if these barrels are rifled. My Traditions is - I think 28-1. What is the likelihood of a chain fire with these?

Yes, they use an interference fit. I forget what the manual recommends but .375 - .380 round balls should work. I ended up with .376 somewhere along the line as that shaves a small ring of lead indicating a hood fit and seal without too much effort.

The barrels are, or should be rifled.

Chain fire discussions can get heated on certain forums. Chain fires can happen from poor sealing projectiles or from poor fitting caps. If you use lubed wads over the ball, that is another layer of protection while keeping fowling soft in the barrel. There are many methods to seal the ball. Some don’t bother.

I subscribe to the theory that chain fires because of poor fitting caps is more likely based of slow speed videos I’ve seen.

The Saint

BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County

I've shot thousands of rounds through many cap and ball revolvers of all brands and calibers...and never once, I repeat, NEVER ONCE have I had a chain fire. Switch your nipples out to Slixshot, that's the first thing to do...the stock ones are garbage, simple as. Bore butter over the chamber is messy, but it's also the best method for running them for duration. I have ran my Old Army ove 100 rounds in a single day with no stopping to clean with bore butter, but after 30 was seizing up with wads...that was the day I stopped using wonder wads. The wonder wads or wonder seals simply do not work as well...fouling WILL build up faster with them compared to just slathering bore butter over the ball straight up.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I've shot thousands of rounds through many cap and ball revolvers of all brands and calibers...and never once, I repeat, NEVER ONCE have I had a chain fire. Switch your nipples out to Slixshot, that's the first thing to do...the stock ones are garbage, simple as. Bore butter over the chamber is messy, but it's also the best method for running them for duration. I have ran my Old Army ove 100 rounds in a single day with no stopping to clean with bore butter, but after 30 was seizing up with wads...that was the day I stopped using wonder wads. The wonder wads or wonder seals simply do not work as well...fouling WILL build up faster with them compared to just slathering bore butter over the ball straight up.

Thanks I just ordered 12 of those Slixshot nipples.

The video I watched the guy put in powder, put in a bullet, then basically filled the cylinders with bore butter. Is that necessary every time you reload? He also used conical bullets instead of balls.

The Saint

BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    Thanks I just ordered 12 of those Slixshot nipples.

The video I watched the guy put in powder, put in a bullet, then basically filled the cylinders with bore butter. Is that necessary every time you reload? He also used conical bullets instead of balls.

Powder, ball, grease. Every time.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I have tried using wads instead of bore butter and it works, BUT the cylinder starts to bind unless you oil it down the pin. Even with American Pioneer powder it binds by the second cylinder firing. Unless you pull the cylinder and wipe it all down. The bore butter lubes all the fouling around the cylinder also, not just down the barrel.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    One more question. I got some "wads" with the guns. Can I use those instead of the bore butter? If so, is it powder, wad, bullet?

Powder, ball, wad.

Or just grease like The Saint Said. You can also smear or melt fresh bore butter on the wads if they seem dried out.

Just like everything with muzzleloading, try different ways.

ETA: lookup mike belliveau aka duelest1954 on YouTube.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Powder, ball, wad.

Or just grease like The Saint Said. You can also smear or melt fresh bore butter on the wads if they seem dried out.

Just like everything with muzzleloading, try different ways.

ETA: lookup mike belliveau aka duelest1954 on YouTube.

Saw a guy on YouTube do powder, wad, ball. He was kind of an idiot though no surprise that isn't the right way. I will try it maybe this weekend. I think I have the wads and the butter with the extra stuff I was given.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Saw a guy on YouTube do powder, wad, ball. He was kind of an idiot though no surprise that isn't the right way. I will try it maybe this weekend. I think I have the wads and the butter with the extra stuff I was given.

So I got sidetracked and I was questioning myself. Seems like people do it both ways. Maybe I’m doing it wrong… I looked at the ox yoke website, they make wads and stuff, and they say powder, wad, ball for revolvers.

I ended up with a couple cans of wonder seals that go over the ball. But when I used the felt wads I also put it over the ball…

I just don’t want to tell you the wrong thing…

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I’m sure nobody else cares but this has been bugging me. I must be getting old. It’s been a couple years since I used the wads.

The more I thought about it and went and looked at them, it doesn’t make sense to put them over the ball. Either I was doing it wrong when I used them or I just can’t remember if I was doing it right. Ah well. The next time I take one out shooting, I’m going to have to review what I think I remember….

I went back and watched one of the duelest1954 videos where I learned a lot in the beginning and he puts them under the ball. So powder, wad, ball.

Anyway, sorry for any confusion.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The only reason to put a wad on top of a ball is if you are using undersized ball that will literally fall out unless there is a wad to hold them in place. Like large caliber smooth bore military long arms that use an undersized ball because of the powder fowling.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD

I got the Slixshot nipples in. Should I use any kind of loctite or just crank them down? Also I was a little disappointed with the holes having milling debris not cleaned out. I'll remove it before using.

20230513_093425.jpg
    20230513_093610.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom