• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    It turned into one of those "if you give a moose a muffin" kinda things...

Sorry for starting something I wasn't willing to finish.. Learned a lot though.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Yeah, I got the feeling a simple and casual meet-up was turning into a re-enactment of the Normandy Invasion.

Don't feel bad about it, SNI.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Poop - had forgotten about this being mentioned, had no idea it was being planned, and just read that it has been cancelled. Poop, I tell you.

What would happen if we just got a bunch of AGC members together and went up there to shoot, or am I opening a can of do not go there worms?

Maybe transfer the venue to PG Trap & Skeet, shoot some clays instead, and have a picnic. Don't know if people swing both ways though. lol

Here I am making suggestions and I'll probably be indisposed anyway.

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    Poop - had forgotten about this being mentioned, had no idea it was being planned, and just read that it has been cancelled. Poop, I tell you.

What would happen if we just got a bunch of AGC members together and went up there to shoot, or am I opening a can of do not go there worms?

Maybe transfer the venue to PG Trap & Skeet, shoot some clays instead, and have a picnic. Don't know if people swing both ways though. lol

Here I am making suggestions and I'll probably be indisposed anyway.

The gist of what I have heard was that it was ACG's BOD that came up with some pretty stiff demands for what was considered an informal meet up. Paid RSO's, scheduling of lanes, club sponsorship of the event and other demands that would of taken too much time and effort for a simple get together.

Blake_7.62

Oct 17, 2010
    The gist of what I have heard was that it was ACG's BOD that came up with some pretty stiff demands for what was considered an informal meet up. Paid RSO's, scheduling of lanes, club sponsorship of the event and other demands that would of taken too much time and effort for a simple get together.

Sad - battered gun owner syndrome continues to spread - even to the ranges.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD

That is not true.

When there are events being scheduled for the use of the AGC, especially when the public (non-members) are invited, the AGC Board of Trustees is presented with a request outlining just what the event is, who is sponsoring the event, the facilities needed, a course of fire, and a who will be the 'match director' for lack of a better term. Usually the club who sponsors the event has its own RSOs to aid the regular AGC staff RSOs.

In many ways this is similar to the event recently held down at MSAR. Any large gathering requires some co-ordination and planning. I am sure we can plan for an event at the AGC. On the particular day, August 24, there are a lot of events going on at the pistol range (the Police L match comes to mind).

There is still enough time for a 'meet-n-greet-shoot' match later in the fall (October). Perhaps a smallbore shoot on the 100yd range or a pistol shoot to begin with. Depending on how that goes, we may be able to plan for other events (trap, high-power rifle, etc).

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Or maybe some AGC members could just take some guests to the range at the same time and keep it simple.

To be honest, the rimfire rifles only (.22) was what shut it down.

Members with guests are not constrained to rimfire only.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Or maybe some AGC members could just take some guests to the range at the same time and keep it simple.

This is true too. Any AGC member can bring guests and use one firing point. The member is responsible for his guest at all times and needs to be with the guest at the firing point.

I thought the idea was to have a Get Together that would pair AGC MDS members with non-members and to have cook-out. That type of gathering requires a bit more co-ordination.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    This is true too.

I thought the idea was to have a Get Together that would pair AGC MDS members with non-members and to have cook-out. That type of gathering requires a bit more co-ordination.

Non- members are called "guests" in the AGC vernacular. The list of constraints grew in spite of the ratio of 2:1 members to guests... Most of the "guests" have been to AGC as guests before. I just didn't have the stomach to tell attendees they would be limited to shooting .22 rifles only when they had been free to shoot other caliber rifles on other visits. And the 245 pages (:D) of range rules (just kidding!! Don't know the actual count at the moment, but there are quite a few.. I did re-read them though!) don't include any verbiage about caliber limits for members with guests.

So it WAS the grill :) (which was an add-on to the original concept and offered to be removed).

Oh well. Am working with another club to put this on. Will keep folks posted when it starts taking shape,

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Non- members are called "guests" in the AGC vernacular. The list of constraints grew in spite of the ratio of 2:1 members to guests... Most of the "guests" have been to AGC as guests before. I just didn't have the stomach to tell attendees they would be limited to shooting .22 rifles only when they had been free to shoot other calibers on other visits. And the 245 pages (:D) of range rules (just kidding!! I did re-read them though!) don't include any verbiage about caliber limits for members with guests.

So it WAS the grill :) (which was an add-on to the original concept)

Oh well. Am working with another club to put this on. Will keep folks posted when it starts taking shape,

If it isn't the guns, its the grill. Just cannot win. lol

Thanks for everybody's replies. One of these days I am going to get off my lazy arse and join the AGC.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    SNI,

I my offer still stands for bringing out all my .22 pistols (and rifles for that matter) for your friend to try.

Let me know when!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    And the grill wasn't even my idea. ;)

You can be my guest anytime, Fabs. :)

Thanks SNI.

Which club are you in? I just need to pick one of the umpteen clubs and get this process started. My wife keeps bugging me about shooting her handgun that she bought last year, and we have just never gotten around to it. My brothers and brother in-law are chomping at the bit to shoot their "assault weapons" too.

One of the reasons I wanted to move up here was the proximity to AGC and in the three years we have been here I have yet to become a member or even shoot once over there. Not even trap, which I don't need to be a member for.

Too many irons in the fire, not enough hands and feet.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    This is true too. Any AGC member can bring guests and use one firing point. The member is responsible for his guest at all times and needs to be with the guest at the firing point.

The problem is you and Damifnowfish over-thought it.

Original idea: hey MDS AGC members let's offer to host a bunch of MDS non-AGC members one day as our guests. Who's in and willing to host up to two guests? Not f*cking rocket science, simple let's have an informal shoot within the AGC rules of bringing guests.

But SOME people started insisting on playing with/near the TCA, having a grill, oh hey let's bring clangers but limit everyone to .22 rimfire, let's just overf*ckingcomplicate things to the point the BOD must be involved. :mad54:

No offense meant to TCA, with something informal as was the original idea mixing would not be good. Common sense there, DUH!

Grill? Nice but not needed to have fun.

.22 rimfire only, f*ck that for a game of anal retentive meddlers.

PS- nobody even hinted at reserved lanes at first nor attempting to impinge on a scheduled activity that had already reserved lanes nor deviating from the standard cold range/target change time. Some assumptive jackass simply assumed that would be the case.

PPS- congrats for ruining something informal. Turning off a bunch of folks and let's top it off with shooting what could have been a relaxed recruiting effort for AGC in the foot.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    The problem is you and Damifnowfish over-thought it.

Original idea: hey MDS AGC members let's offer to host a bunch of MDS non-AGC members one day as our guests. Who's in and willing to host up to two guests? Not f*cking rocket science, simple let's have an informal shoot within the AGC rules of bringing guests.

But SOME people started insisting on playing with/near the TCA, having a grill, oh hey let's bring clangers but limit everyone to .22 rimfire, let's just overf*ckingcomplicate things to the point the BOD must be involved. :mad54:

No offense meant to TCA, with something informal as was the original idea mixing would not be good. Common sense there, DUH!

Grill? Nice but not needed to have fun.

.22 rimfire only, f*ck that for a game of anal retentive meddlers.

PS- nobody even hinted at reserved lanes at first nor attempting to impinge on a scheduled activity that had already reserved lanes nor deviating from the standard cold range/target change time. Some assumptive jackass simply assumed that would be the case.

PPS- congrats for ruining something informal. Turning off a bunch of folks and let's top it off with shooting what could have been a relaxed recruiting effort for AGC in the foot.

You sure do have a way with words, Bolts :)

Thanks for all the life support through THAT experience.

Like I said it was like giving a moose a muffin. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom