• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I bet if you came across them you would buy them if you did not have any. That is like saying you do not download movies or music. Or buy from pawn shops. There is no real difference. Most say they are selling "parts kits" its a joke it is a mag no matter if you slap it together or buy it whole. That law is stupid it is ok to own them but not buy them here wtf kind of idiot thought that up.

So you think I would knowingly purchase something that's for sale illegally?

I wouldn't knowingly buy a switch blade or stun gun if I knew it was illegal.

I do not download music or movies....well I do but it's from Itunes and I pay for movies.

I'll admit it's a stupid law...but saying you arent following it just gives them more ammo to just make possession of 30 rounders illegal.

"We tried to allow them to have them but not by them and they arent following that law so now we'll just make it illegal to possess them".

I'd be more interested to see how many 30 round magazines were used in crimes as opposed to how many people have been charged for buying/transfering in MD.

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    So you think I would knowingly purchase something that's for sale illegally?

I wouldn't knowingly buy a switch blade or stun gun if I knew it was illegal.

I do not download music or movies....well I do but it's from Itunes and I pay for movies.

I'll admit it's a stupid law...but saying you arent following it just gives them more ammo to just make possession of 30 rounders illegal.

"We tried to allow them to have them but not by them and they arent following that law so now we'll just make it illegal to possess them".

I'd be more interested to see how many 30 round magazines were used in crimes as opposed to how many people have been charged for buying/transfering in MD.

Yes but purchasing and possessing are two different things such as a butterfly knife versus a 30 round mag. I could still go to VA and buy a butterfly knife but possessing it in MD is clearly not the same as possessing a 30 round AR mag or even a drum mag. Unless I completely misunderstood what you've just said.

Sent from my BlackBerry or iPhone using Tapatalk

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Yes but purchasing and possessing are two different things such as a butterfly knife versus a 30 round mag. I could still go to VA and buy a butterfly knife but possessing it in MD is clearly not the same as possessing a 30 round AR mag or even a drum mag. Unless I completely misunderstood what you've just said.

Sent from my BlackBerry or iPhone using Tapatalk

You did.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Maryland Criminal Law Section 4-305
    More Sharing ServicesShare|
    Article - Criminal Law

§ 4-305.
    (a) This section does not apply to a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine.
    (b) A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

Okay. So the way I'm reading (b) (correct me if I'm wrong); I cannot legally purchase (over the phone, on the internet, carrier pigeon, etc.) from my desk - or anywhere within the state of MD - and have them shipped to another state, to be picked up later. However, there is nothing to stop me from going to a neighboring state, and bring home as many as I want. (Which is how I do it.)

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Okay. So the way I'm reading (b) (correct me if I'm wrong); I cannot legally purchase (over the phone, on the internet, carrier pigeon, etc.) from my desk - or anywhere within the state of MD - and have the shipped to another state. However, there is nothing to stop me from going to a neighboring state, and bring home as many as I want. (Which is how I do it.)

Yup.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Okay. So the way I'm reading (b) (correct me if I'm wrong); I cannot legally purchase (over the phone, on the internet, carrier pigeon, etc.) from my desk - or anywhere within the state of MD - and have them shipped to another state, to be picked up later. However, there is nothing to stop me from going to a neighboring state, and bring home as many as I want. (Which is how I do it.)

That's how I understand it too, and I've never had an issue doing it that way.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    I buy mine in outer space...

9189283.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I have had mags arrive at out of state friend , and pick them up on next visit.

I see the arguement as to at what point ownership occurs , and where does transfer occur. Ask yourself how much you trust MSP , SAs , AG to use common sense to the average person's benefit.

No I don't download music, etc , but mainly because I am luddite. Pawn shops are required to keep records of acquisitions , and hold items for certain time periods before selling to allow for recovery of reported stolen mdse.

And just for devil's advocate , quality 20rd mags work just fine also.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Okay... Here's 'what if". (Well, more of a "How about")

Let's say I want to pick up a 100 rd drum on my next trip out of state. I want to make sure they have one in stock.

If I call and say, "Hey I'll be down/up/over your way on such-n-such a day, order me a 100 rd drum". Am I technically "purchasing" it at that time? Kind of a grey area, if done that way, IMO.

No money has actually changed hands. So when does the "purchace" officially occure?

OTOH, if I were to call and just ask if they normally have them in stock, and if not, would they have one in stock on such-n-such a day, (wink, wink) that would be acceptable?
    :innocent0

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    Waaay too grey an area to f*ck with. Excuse my French. :sad20:

§ 4-305.
    (a) This section does not apply to a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine.
    (b) A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

It is legal to sell mag parts in MD. Which also means its legal to buy mag parts, but the illegal part would be to turn those parts into a magazine (manufacturing). Like I said before you have to assemble them out of state to be legal, but to buy a bag full of parts in legal in MD.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Let's say I want to pick up a 100 rd drum on my next trip out of state. I want to make sure they have one in stock.

If I call and say, "Hey I'll be down/up/over your way on such-n-such a day, order me a 100 rd drum". Am I technically "purchasing" it at that time? Kind of a grey area, if done that way, IMO.
    Wouldn't matter if you were purchasing it right over the phone. The commerce clause doesn't allow Maryland to regulate interstate sales. Gansler understands this perfectly well, and thus far his rulings have reflected that. To be blunt, I rather suspect that part about receiving magazines from out of state would be found unconstitutional as well, given the current expansive reading of the commerce clause.

peace

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2011
    AACo
    Gary(Hog Sniper) of High Rock Outfitters(Industry Partner) also stocks 30 round mags and he is only just a smudge over the border in PA.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    What you do in the private is your own goddamn business, but don't go spouting off about it on the internet on a public forum.

"Ohhh I'm such a hard man because I buy and sell illegal magazines, yo."

Grow the hell up. This isn't a circle-jerk for wannabe gangsters, this is a forum that we freely use as a resource and one of the few rules here is not to conduct in illegal behavior.

Now, prepare your anus.

bite-the-pillow-ewok.jpg

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    Gary(Hog Sniper) of High Rock Outfitters(Industry Partner) also stocks 30 round mags and he is only just a smudge over the border in PA.

He doesn't have a storefront though. How do you buy the magazines? By appointment?

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Drive to gun store or show in PA or VA. Simple as that. VA and PA are happy to take our tax money. This law makes zero sense to me but PA isn't too far of a drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom