• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Does the military make any attempt to reuse these? Or is it just one shot and then away it goes for our benefit as surplus?

The reason that ammo cans aren’t reused by the military is that it isn’t cost effective. The reuse of a can would entail a lot of hand labor. Handling, transporting, inspecting, cleaning, repainting, you get the idea. And more importantly they could never be assured that they would have the same standard for a new can. Would you want to be the G.I. hoping that your ammo will work when you need it? Ammo stored in new cans will last for decades, just look at surplus ammo. I can’t say from personal inspection. However, I have been told the Chinese slave labor cans do not seal as well. And I suspect the metal and paint probably isn’t up the U.S.G.I. standard.

The surplus cans are also cheaper then the Chinese knock offs.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Just scored 60 of them from a guy on Craigslist for $5 a piece. Not sure where he got them from but they were in good shape except for some orange and blue spray paint dots; probably some marking used at whatever range they came from. Keep an eye on Craigslist.

shocka04

Jan 17, 2012
    Calvert County
    Just picked some up from Mdeng. They're in great shape, some have surface rust but will easily clean up. He's got PLENTY of them. I'm planning on picking up more once I fill these up

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I've seen the .50 bmg cans and the .30 caliber cans but what are the bigger cans with the diagonal brace in that photo?

They look like cans for 40mm grenades.

Correct! Selling them for $15, how many would you like?

81mm mortar cans are also available. They are tall with a fully removable lid. Great for dry food storage and bayonets.

Parshooter

Silent Majority Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    East NC
    50 cal cans

I picked up 10 from Mdeng. As stated above, good condition. My only problem is that I seem to have underestimated how many I would need... Mdeng, it looks like you will be hearing from me as soon as I scratch a few $$$ together.
    Sorry for this thread-jack, but does anyone have a source for desiccants? I like the size 40 in the metal container from Midway, and I usually order when they are on sale. They're not on sale right now:sad20:

Diesel-Dad

Jun 25, 2016
    HARFORD COUNTY
    I picked up 10 from Mdeng. As stated above, good condition. My only problem is that I seem to have underestimated how many I would need... Mdeng, it looks like you will be hearing from me as soon as I scratch a few $$$ together.
    Sorry for this thread-jack, but does anyone have a source for desiccants? I like the size 40 in the metal container from Midway, and I usually order when they are on sale. They're not on sale right now:sad20:

Amazon has many different types and sizes of desiccant. My question is how much to add to a 50cal can for storage? Anybody have any ideas?

what kind or size desicant do you fellas use? u line has a lot desicant packs for shipping.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    what kind or size desicant do you fellas use? u line has a lot desicant packs for shipping.

I purchased a large gallon container of loose desiccant off amazon. Also purchased bulk small muslin bags with draw strings and made my own desiccant packs. This is the cheapest way to go after a lot of research and you can dry them out in the oven.

1 Gallon Blue Indicating Silica Gel Desiccant Replacement Beads http://a.co/2E0UK9H

Cotton Muslin Bags 3x4 Inch Drawstring 100 Count Pack http://a.co/3TpyNDL

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hmm, I could use a few more .50 and .30 cans.

Mdeng, how far north do you normally go?

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    I purchased a large gallon container of loose desiccant off amazon. Also purchased bulk small muslin bags with draw strings and made my own desiccant packs. This is the cheapest way to go after a lot of research and you can dry them out in the oven.

1 Gallon Blue Indicating Silica Gel Desiccant Replacement Beads http://a.co/2E0UK9H

Cotton Muslin Bags 3x4 Inch Drawstring 100 Count Pack http://a.co/3TpyNDL

I have done a similar thing but I just put the loose desiccant into coffee filters folded and stapled to hold it in, which seems to work ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom