• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rwatson

Feb 7, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Freestate is a nice place and is among the newest in the area. It should not be to bad of a drive for you.

They are located right off Route 43 around White Marsh area.

OSOK1776

Oct 26, 2011
    Glen Burnie
    Freestate is a nice place and is among the newest in the area. It should not be to bad of a drive for you.

They are located right off Route 43 around White Marsh area.

I have a few questions if you don't mind, i checked their website and could not find the answers i was looking for.

Whats the age limit to shoot there (if any) - I ask because i have my kid with me who also shoots

How many people can you have per lane?

Whats the cost? (i surprisingly could not find this on their site)

Also - Can you bring your own ammo?

rwatson

Feb 7, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm not sure about an age limit but I have seen kids in the range with parents on multiple occasions.

I have never seen more then 2 people per lane.

$18/hr range fee. I have a membership which cost me about $250 I think it was? That is an annnual membership.

You can bring your own ammo, no steel.

Here is a link to the range rules which should answer any other questions...

http://freestategunrange.com/range-rules

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    I have a few questions if you don't mind, i checked their website and could not find the answers i was looking for.

Whats the age limit to shoot there (if any) - I ask because i have my kid with me who also shoots

How many people can you have per lane?

Whats the cost? (i surprisingly could not find this on their site)

Also - Can you bring your own ammo?

Was their phone # not on their website???

OSOK1776

Oct 26, 2011
    Glen Burnie
    Was their phone # not on their website???

It was, and I called, but they are not open yet. I imagined I could have most of the questions answered on here prior to them opening up =)

I also checked their forums listed on the site and did not find answers to the questions there either.

I did not blindly post my questions without at least an attempt on my side to answer them myself.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    It was, and I called, but they are not open yet. I imagined I could have most of the questions answered on here prior to them opening up =)

I also checked their forums listed on the site and did not find answers to the questions there either.

I did not blindly post my questions without at least an attempt on my side to answer them myself.

For Glen Burnie also try On Target in Severn (Near Ft. Meade).

CroftonBilly

Huge Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2011
    Crofton
    Several of us are members at On Target. http://www.ontarget.biz/
    It has it's pros and cons like any other range. Membership price and range function fit my needs.
    Avoid it on the weekends unless you're there when they open.

you can bring your own everything (guns, ammo, targets, eyes/ears, etc...)
    Kids are allowed with an adult present
    I don't remember their limit on people per lane. I've seen 4 before.

I'll be there this Thursday evening with another MDS member.

OSOK1776

Oct 26, 2011
    Glen Burnie
    Several of us are members at On Target. http://www.ontarget.biz/
    It has it's pros and cons like any other range. Membership price and range function fit my needs.
    Avoid it on the weekends unless you're there when they open.

you can bring your own everything (guns, ammo, targets, eyes/ears, etc...)
    Kids are allowed with an adult present
    I don't remember their limit on people per lane. I've seen 4 before.

I'll be there this Thursday evening with another MDS member.

I appreciate the feedback. I will have to take a look into them this week.

jeganrocks

Feb 5, 2012
    Howard County, MD
    I believe Ontarget is max 2 on a lane. You can bring your own ammo unless you rent one of their guns. Not sure of their lane rates, cause I'm a member. If you join as a member and call ahead, you jump to the front of the wait line.

Rockerspsl

Apr 10, 2011
    Glen Burnie, MD
    I always go to the Elk Neck State Forest range off Irishtown Rd in North East, MD. I always go in a large group, we never have any issues with the rifle or pistol ranges. Daily permits are $10 for 18 to 61 years and free for under 18. If you preferred this range, annual permits are $50. I don't think there are any ammo restrictions, but you can only use slugs in shotguns on the rifle range, which is separate from the skeet area. I found it's worth planning an entire weekend with friends around going to the range. Don't know the lane limit, always gone in a gaggle and never had problems.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/central/elkneckforest.asp

Last edited:

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    For the time and money it takes to go to the range on a regular basis maybe you should look for a house where you can shoot in the yard. We don't plan to fail we fail to plan.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I live in White Marsh and can't say enough good things about Freestate so that is my top choice. I work in Glen Burnie about 5 minutes from Select Fire so I go there sometimes too. I would try both out and see what you think. I've taken my boys (9 and 11) to Freestate plenty of times but I take them separately. The rule is 2 per lane at both ranges I'm pretty sure.
    You can take your own ammo to both but Freestate will check the tips with a magnet to make sure you don't have steel core. I'm pretty sure Select Fire doesn't restrict steel but I can't shoot my 5.7 or .50 cal handgun. I've never been to Select Fire on a weekend but Freestate can be pretty busy on Saturday and Sunday so weekday/weeknights I find the best time to shoot.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    For the time and money it takes to go to the range on a regular basis maybe you should look for a house where you can shoot in the yard. We don't plan to fail we fail to plan.

An admirable goal, but not practical for most people who have to work in or near the Batlimore-Washington cluster-fu... er... metropolitan area.
    Not even legal to shoot in many counties with sane commutes to those areas. Also takes a fair amount of land to set up a safe shooting area and not start a feud with the neighbors. You know you have to have 150 yards between your range and the next house or written permission from the owner? Land ain't cheap in most of Maryland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JBIRD EST.1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom