• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Does it have to be an HK sd model or can you throw a threaded barrel on a non SD model without too much hassel?

Original HK threaded barrels are available as an upgrade.These drop in. The SD 9 does not have the O-ring found on larger caliber guns. It is a basic USP 9 with target sights and a threaded barrel. Trigger is stock ( not the match version). Barrels cost about 250 bucks, raised sight, another 150.00.. You may be better off getting a tactical SD right off the bat. HK pistols are also match grade accurate. POI shift in suppressed vs non- suppressed mode is very minimal.

I'm not a dedicated HK fanboy( I pack a Glock)... But the tactical pistols just work well suppressed. Only a Suppressed Beretta can come close to its accuracy and reliability in suppressed mode.

It is also quiter by a couple of decibels compared to other host pistols using the same can. Sig P-226 series are the quietest host but HK beats it in suppressed reliability and accuracy.

Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    Original HK threaded barrels are available as an upgrade.These drop in. The SD 9 does not have the O-ring found on larger caliber guns. It is a basic USP 9 with target sights and a threaded barrel. Trigger is stock ( not the match version). Barrels cost about 250 bucks, raised sight, another 150.00.. You may be better off getting a tactical SD right off the bat. HK pistols are also match grade accurate. POI shift in suppressed vs non- suppressed mode is very minimal.

I'm not a dedicated HK fanboy( I pack a Glock)... But the tactical pistols just work well suppressed. Only a Suppressed Beretta can come close to its accuracy and reliability in suppressed mode.

It is also quiter by a couple of decibels compared to other host pistols using the same can. Sig P-226 series are the quietest host but HK beats it in suppressed reliability and accuracy.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

I'm not a fanboy of anything really. I like sweet looking guns that do the job. So whatever encompasses those characteristics I usually look for and purchase.

Looks like I still have some research and handling to do.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    The Only 9mm Pistols that I will suppress are:

Beretta 92 Series ( works really well, even without a neilsen device, minimal POI shift)
    HKUSP9SD ( No mods required, just screw in your booster equiped can, and start shooting)

Both will handle and cycle the lightest - heaviest loads without having to change out springs or custom load ammo.

Thanks for the input, why not a Sig226? Can you please give me your reasons?

We missed you at the AGC shoot! Maybe you can make the next one and show me some of your pistols in person. My problem is that I don't know anyone with them to try them out and see what I want...if I want.

Patrick, I was shooting a Sig with a YHM suppressor and was getting a fair amount of blow back to the point I would have needed shooting glasses which I normally don't wear (and don't want to hear about it either, safety Nazis). I was shooting it as one normally would a pistol. So I really can't explain it. I hear what you are saying but it did not turn out that way. Dirty ammo???

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Patrick, I was shooting a Sig with a YHM suppressor and was getting a fair amount of blow back to the point I would have needed shooting glasses which I normally don't wear (and don't want to hear about it either, safety Nazis). I was shooting it as one normally would a pistol. So I really can't explain it. I hear what you are saying but it did not turn out that way. Dirty ammo???

Consider me schooled. Also, I won't be buying a Sig anytime soon. Thanks for the heads-up.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I was shooting a Sig with a YHM suppressor and was getting a fair amount of blow back to the point I would have needed shooting glasses which I normally don't wear (and don't want to hear about it either, safety Nazis). I was shooting it as one normally would a pistol. So I really can't explain it. I hear what you are saying but it did not turn out that way. Dirty ammo???

I should have let you shoot my HK USP 9SD with a Trident 9 last Saturday. I haven't noticed problems with blow back. I'll bring it to the next TCA shoot.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Consider me schooled. Also, I won't be buying a Sig anytime soon. Thanks for the heads-up.

I would not say that... but I would like to figure out why it was happening if that was not normal.

I should have let you shoot my HK USP 9SD with a Trident 9 last Saturday. I haven't noticed problems with blow back. I'll bring it to the next TCA shoot.

Yeah I would like that, thanks!

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    As rsideout experienced himself ( well, mach 1 rubbed off on him), It is hard to beat the suppressed performance of a Suppressed HK USP9 SD/ Trident Combo.

A Sig p226 is bit quieter ( with the same can) but may choke on certain ammo.
    especially with standard recoil springs.

This is simply explained by doing a comparison of how much cocking effort is required to cycle a pistol's slide. HK tactical pistols are very easy to cock, followed by Beretta 92. Glocks and Sigs.. do require a bit of effort to do the same thing. That is why they require lighter recoils springs in suppressed mode. Also remember, that pistols are recoil operated> Recoil will be soaked up by the weight of the can, the neilsen device , the weight of the barrel/ slide plus the recoil spring. The 9mm, being a low recoil round should be given a bit of mechanical help in suppressed mode to facilitate reliable cycling. the 9mm ia also the smallest diameter and suppresses really well as compared to other pistol rounds ( yup, it is quiter than a 45ACP or 40SW, even if those come in heavy subsonic loads, baffle holes are much bigger . this causes more noise)

You can do this by using lighter springs, heavier loads, Neilsen devices, slide lightening or a combination what was mentioned earlier. I simply took the easiest approach by suppressing a good host right off the bat. Also, Guns that are prone to limp-wrist induced malfunctions are prone to reliability issues when suppressed as well. Cans will soak up recoil, just like limp-wristing. ( that is why I dont suppress Glocks,Sigs, MP,XD, FNP etc). 1911's and Sigs perform well in limp- wrist testing but have issues when suppressed.( they perform due to thier steel or alloy frames which are heavier than polymer)

As for offset cans like the original maxim design..They perform well, but is hard to adapt to other weapons system such as rifles and Subguns. You cant really mount them under the handguards. I'll stay with the concentric designs for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh9JhCyFFxA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1t4WMcs_7c&feature=related

Last edited:

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I've seen plenty a Glock suppressed. Never heard of any issues.

I have a Form 4 coming back for a Trident 45 that will go on a Glock 23 (.40) and I have pistons for the Glock 19 (9mm), even though I have a dedicated suppressor for the G19 (an Osprey 9). We'll see how that turns out, but I expect little trouble.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    "It is hard to beat the suppressed performance of a Suppressed HK USP9 SD/ Trident Combo."

The only problem is I am not a big fan of the USP. I seem to put the safety on without meaning to all the time! That and I don't like plastic frame handguns for the most part. The USP may be one of the best plastic frame guns but I am still not crazy about buying one.

"A Sig p226 is bit quiter ( with the same can) but may choke on certain ammo. especially with standard recoil springs."

If I get their Elite model that comes with factory threaded barrel and higher sights, am I likely to have stnadard recoil springs? Did they just slap high sights and a threaded barrel on a standard 226 or did they tweek it for suppressor use?

"limp-wrist"

No limp wrists here! :lol2: Those tests are very interesting! I have never really thought of that before.

"1911's and Sigs perform well in limp- wrist testing but have issues when suppressed.( they perform due to thier steel or alloy frames which are heavier than polymer)"

This does makes sense due to the upward cant of the barrel when unlocking

"As for offset cans like the original maxim design..They perform well, but is hard to adapt to other weapons system such as rifles and Subguns."

I am not really worried about mounting them to anything other than pistols. I don't really like or have semi-subguns. As far as FA goes, I will buy larger FA cans for them anyway. So the offset can should not be a problem for me.

Here is whats happening to me. I have a Beretta M9. I might be one of the few that likes the gun a lot. I don't own any plastic frame guns and don't really like them that much. No Glocks for me. I have been thinking of getting a gun I can use for home protection and still enjoy shooting. So I want to have a front rail for a light. The M9 does not have it and I don't want to sell the gun. However I don't like buying two of the same guns so I was looking for something other than the M9A1. My friend bought a SS Sig 226 and its nice! Heavy as hell but thats fine, I like it. So I was thinking maybe a Sig with the AL frame would work and give me a new gun for the collection. However, function is high on my list, maybe on top. If the Berretta is going to function better suppressed, maybe I should just stick with that. I have considered the USP but I don't know I want to go that way... Hmm the hard things in life! haha It will be a little while before I buy anyway (saving for a few MGs right now).

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    If you were to ever have any cycling issues with a P226 and suppressor combo its an easy fix. Wolff GunSprings make an assortment of recoil springs with different weights. Problem solved.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    If you were to ever have any cycling issues with a P226 and suppressor combo its an easy fix. Wolff GunSprings make an assortment of recoil springs with different weights. Problem solved.

You are absolutely right on this. Cycling issues can be resolved with springs on the 226. I'm just too lazy for that ( or have no time to experiment) and simply want to thread on a can and start shooting with any kind of ammo. ( My HK USP/ trident combo ate every kind of round that shooters brought at the last suppressor shoot without a single malfunction. This includes standard wolf steel cased to the most expensive subsonic factory loads)

The Beretta and the USP allows me to do just that. But if you insist on a SIG.That's fine too

You just to watch out for slide slam.(When the ammo is too powerful or the recoil spring is too weak or the slide is too light, slide slam occurs. Slide slam is bad for the firearm and bad for the shooter's hand. The correct balance is when the ejected casings land approximately 5 feet from the shooter. In this balance there is adequate ejection and no slide slam. This can also result in damage to both frame and slide if not corrected.)

Attachments

• x5sd.jpg
      x5sd.jpg
      42.1 KB · Views: 196

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    You are absolutely right on this. Cycling issues can be resolved with spring on the 226. I'm just too lazy for that and simple want to thread on a can and start shooting.

The Beretta and the USP allows me to do just that. But if you insist on a SIG.That's fine too

Ok, so if I put a new spring in it, will it still function 100% without suppressor?

If I get their Elite Dark 226 model that comes with factory threaded barrel and higher sights, am I likely to have standard recoil springs? Did they just slap high sights and a threaded barrel on a standard 226 or did they tweek it for suppressor use? http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p226-elite-dark-threaded-barrel.aspx

Oh and I am not insisting on a Sig. The Beretta would be fine but it would be nice to add a different gun to the collection, so its just weighing my opinions. The USP is still in the picture a bit too... Ther are other factors too, like which my wife would be able to use the best just in the unlikely case she needs too. The Suppressor part is just what I don't know much about.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Ok, so if I put a new spring in it, will it still function 100% without suppressor?

If I get their Elite Dark 226 model that comes with factory threaded barrel and higher sights, am I likely to have standard recoil springs? Did they just slap high sights and a threaded barrel on a standard 226 or did they tweek it for suppressor use? http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p226-elite-dark-threaded-barrel.aspx

I have no experience with this model. I do have an x5 and standard P226. Those will not function correctly with a lighter spring unsuppressed. Slide slam occurs with softer springs/ unsuppressed. I'm just concerned about damaging the gun.

I'll stay with the Beretta and HK for now.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    a suppressor/ pistol should be thought about as a system. Both can and host should compliment each other. Each item may work great as an individual item, but suck conjunction with another. As I have stated before... I'm a 1911/ Glock/45ACP Fan. But I will not suppress one for many reasons.

The problem with trying to figure out things for yourself, it takes time and a lot of money. We simply can not take a can back to the dealer and trade it out if does not work. Reliable data is also scarce. Things can be made to work ( even suppressed glocks or 1911s) but that depends on your how much time and money you want to spend on it.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Reliable data is also scarce.

Yes it is, thats why I ask so damn many questions, I appreciate you guys taking the time to answer them! All that you guys have said has made sense.

Hmm, that is interesting with the Sig. I am not interested in switching out springs every time I put the Suppressor on or take it off. Might not seem like much but its one more thing to worry about that I don't need to if I go with a Beretta... Hmm Many I will stick with a M9A1, they are cheaper too! If I were to get the Osprey can, would I be able to see over the suppressor? What thin little suppressor is in that picture?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    The Thin suppressor is custom can similar to the AWC abraxas/ Warp 6. It is a wet can that needs grease or some kind of ablatant to work efficiently. It is the same type of can the US Airforce issues to pilots.

Most can nowadays are bigger in diameter ( 1.25 to 1.35") but are also efficient dry.

The Beretta also has an extended barrel that can often be threaded sufficiently to work with most suppressors.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Yeah I don't want a wet only suppressor. Seems like the Osprey is the way to?

Great can... but I'm a bit worried about issues with indexing it correctly, after long term use. You may also have to check if the guiderod will clear the can if the slide is retracted. Beretta can be threaded, but do not have sufficient space to accomodate most newer suppressors. If this occurs, You can have the barrel extended and threaded.
    I'm going to get tall adjustable sights for my Beretta soon. Adjustable sights are a must to compensate for POI change when shooting suppressed.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Great can... but I'm a bit worried about issues with indexing it correctly, after long term use.
    I'm going to get tall adjustable sights for my Beretta soon. Adjustable sights are a must to compensate for POI changce when shooting suppressed.

Damn, the standard Beretta Sights are not going to clear the Osprey either... from my quick internet guestimate.

I did not even get to adj. sights and length of barrel... that tosses the Sig back in a bit, maybe a spring would be easier than all that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom