• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Damn, the standard Beretta Sights are not going to clear the Osprey either... from my quick internet guestimate.

I did not even get to adj. sights and length of barrel... that tosses the Sig back in a bit, maybe a spring would be easier than all that...

Millet Accurizer sights.....Those should clear up to the 1.35" diameter cans. And they adjust for POI changes.

http://www.tjscustomgunworks.com/Photos4/Taurus92chrome.htm

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Millet Accurizer sights.....Those should clear up to the 1.35" diameter cans. And they adjust for POI changes.

http://www.tjscustomgunworks.com/Photos4/Taurus92chrome.htm

ehh... not really what I was looking to do.

Like you said, I want to pick up the gun from the store, the suppressor from the store and screw it on and shoot it. Screwing with sights is worse than springs I think...

Well I am at least back to not knowing what I want. I am glad a M16 is still higher on the list because that will take a while to save for!

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Great can... but I'm a bit worried about issues with indexing it correctly, after long term use. You may also have to check if the guiderod will clear the can if the slide is retracted. Beretta can be threaded, but do not have sufficient space to accomodate most newer suppressors. If this occurs, You can have the barrel extended and threaded.
    I'm going to get tall adjustable sights for my Beretta soon. Adjustable sights are a must to compensate for POI change when shooting suppressed.

My Osprey fits on my P226 Elite without issue. The 13.5x1 LH piston is perfectly spaced to clear the guide rod on it with the slide locked back. Also, the standard Sig night sights are in line with the top of the Osprey, making sighting in on a target easy. Indexing the Osprey is a sinch and it locks down very securely. I have no concerns about it coming loose or not being inline with the bore.

Also, as far as changing out springs. Wolff makes reduced weight recoil springs in 1lb increments. You wouldnt need to keep changing back and forth between shooting suppressed and unsuppressed. A 1lb difference can make a huge difference in suppressed shooting reliability while still keeping things safe for shooting unsuppressed. A 9mm P226 comes stock with a 15lb recoil spring. Wolff has 14lb, 13lb, .... P226 recoil springs. Also, youre worrying about a problem that you will most likely not experience. I havent seen a P226 yet that needed lighter recoil springs when matched up with an Osprey. It may be a different issue with other suppressors but youd have to look at it as a case by case basis.

About the Beretta, SilencerCO makes a 1/2x28 XL piston especially for it since the Beretta's long guide rod stops it from being able to be cycled with the standard 1/2x28 piston. The extra length of the XL piston lets it cycle without issue.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    My Osprey fits on my P226 Elite without issue. The 13.5x1 LH piston is perfectly spaced to clear the guide rod on it or an HK USP SD. Also, the standard Sig night sights are in line with the top of the Osprey, making sighting in on a target easy. Indexing the Osprey is a sinch and it locks down very securely. I have no concerns about it coming loose or not being inline with the bore.

About the Beretta, SilencerCO makes a 1/2x28 XL piston especially for it since the Beretta's long guide rod stops it from being able to be cycled with the standard 1/2x28 piston. The extra length of the XL piston lets it cycle with issue.

Give us a range report on how it sounds.... You can also put it head to head with a trident. I was thinking about getting an osprey, but I still have to see if it outperforms a Trident 9. Plus... It has to work on my subgun/ SBR... How reliable is it? I have over 3000 rounds on an Hk USP/ trident combo without a single malfunction. This includes steel cased ammo.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Give us a range report on how it sounds.... You can also put it head to head with a trident. I was thinking about getting an osprey, but I still have to see if it outperforms a Trident 9. Plus... It has to work on my subgun/ SBR... How reliable is it? I have over 3000 rounds on an Hk USP/ trident combo without a single malfunction. This includes steel cased ammo.

My Osprey is still in jail but I'll see if I can meet up with a buddy who's had his for a couple months. He also has his on a P226 with a stock recoil spring and its functioned 100% when Ive shot it, and it sounds great! I dont have access to a Trident9 but another friend did just get a TiRant 9 which sounds great too. I'll see if I can arrange to meet up with both of them at the same time and do a comparison video. I'll report back when I have more info.

The 2 front runners out of all the published info and videos Ive seen for suppressing 9mm out of a pistol are the Osprey and TiRant. I dont think you could go wrong with either. The Trident 9 has been a top performer, there no dought about that. But from the looks of it has some competition with pretty impressive stats, better stats. Now, stats are just that, stats. Real world use is what really matters. Since I dont have easy access to a Trident 9 I cant really compare first hand experience. What I can say is that Im really impressed by its competition, the Osprey and TiRant.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I have had the experience of owning many suppressors.Trident 9 is the best so far. I may give the Osprey a shot. However, the new SWR Octane-9 is now available and out performs all of the above. Averages about 122 decibels with subsonic ammo, fully modular and will sustain full auto fire.

Is the osprey 9 capable of taking automatic fire? I'm just a bit concerned about the all aluminum baffle stack.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I have had the experience of owning many suppressors.Trident 9 is the best so far. I may give the Osprey a shot. However, the new SWR Octane-9 is now available and out performs all of the above. Averages about 122 decibels with subsonic ammo, fully modular and will sustain full auto fire.

Is the osprey 9 capable of taking automatic fire? I'm just a bit concerned about the all aluminum baffle stack.

The Osprey 9 is Full Auto rated in 9mm and is even rated for sub-sonic 300BLK (not sure if its rated for semi or auto with 300BLK). SilencerCo also has the best CS in the business from what I hear. Ive spoken with the owner Josh multiple times when I had questions and he was great to work with.

The Octane 9 does look nice. We'll have to wait till they get out there to really see what they can do.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Silencerco is a fairly new company and does not have as of yet the bragging rights to a true and tried design / stable company. I have gotten burned on a couple of great performing cans that claim the same, but the manufacturers disappeared and left their customer without support when they folded. I'll wait this one out.

Eccentric designs also hold more gas, that makes them a bit more efficient once oxygen within the can is used up. But are plagued with a louder than most " First round pop".

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA

The cone shaped blast baffle is 17-4 PH and is good for heavy use. The mono core itself is all aluminum. Silencerco is doing nothing but growing right now, and I suspect that their lifetime warranty will be good for a long time.

-Jim

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Silencerco is a fairly new company and does not have as of yet the bragging rights to a true and tried design / stable company. I have gotten burned on a couple of great performing cans that claim the same, but the manufacturers disappeared and left their customer without support when they folded. I'll wait this one out.

Eccentric designs also hold more gas, that makes them a bit more efficient once oxygen within the can is used up. But are plagued with a louder than most " First round pop".

A very valid point. SilencerCo is only a 3 year old company. Even being as young as they are they are growing extremely fast while still maintaining an incredible reputation for innovation and outstanding customer service. It will take time for them to truely stake their claim as a top company with staying power. But, so far they are on that path and travelling down that road quickly. Currently they are outselling every company out there in the centerfire pistol category and rimfire category. If you dont believe me just give Bryon at Major Malfunction a call and ask.

There are many older well established companies out there with fantastic products. But even some of those older well established companys have had reports of bad customer service. AAC and Gemtech to name a couple. Both of those companies make great products. Even taking into account that some of those complaints are unfounded or hearsay, some of them are true. I personally know 2 people who had problems with what they said was poor customer service from both companies. I trust these people and believe what they told me 100% without question.

Here's an example of SilencerCo's determination to provide A+ customer service and funny enough it has to do with the Beretta 92. A forum poster that you may know of that posts on a few silencer forums named Fireman1291 purchased one of the first 9mm Ospreys off the line. When he recieved it he went to put it on his Beretta 92 and it wouldnt allow the slide to cycle. The piston was too short and the guide rod was hitting the suppressor when the slide was cycled. He called SilencerCo and told them about the problem and they immediately created the XL piston and shipped it right out to him. Thats top notch CS if you ask me. He did a few Youtube videos on the Osprey that are very informative. He owns multiple suppressors and I take his opinion very seriously. He's one of the reasons why I went with the Osprey.

Now dont take all this as me just being a SilencerCo fanboy. I am a fan and have purchased both an Osprey and SS 22Sparrow, but Im not dedicated to only buying their products. The next 2 suppressors I purchase will not be from SilencerCo. Both will actually be from AAC, the TiRant 45 and M4-2000. The TiRant 45 will be going on a Glock 21SF and a little later on an HK45. The M4-2000 will be going on a Noveske 10.5 inch Mk18. All I have to do now is save up the coin to pay for it all, lol.

As far as the Osprey's eccentric design and FRP. I think the higher FRP has more to do with a monolithic slant baffle stack being part of the design. And for an eccentric design theres really no other way that I can think of to design the baffle stack. That said, even a normal tubular design that uses a monolithic slant baffle stack has a higher FRP compared to a K baffle setup. The K baffle design is tried and true and without question has a lower FRP then other designs. But its also reaching its limit on how many DB's it can suppress. With technology in the suppressor market rapidly increasing Im sure we're going to see some extremely innovative designs in the near future.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I wish Silencerco the best. I little competition amongst manufacturers will benefit consumers like us. Pressure from consumers and unbiased reviews will force manufacturers to produce better products at lower prices.

With that said. My next purchase for a pistol can may be an Osprey 45 to go on an HK tactical. I like to looks of the can and I can live with it being wet to get optimized performance. . The blocky profile looks the the original Suppressor that HK designed for the offensive pistol program.

I suppressed short barreled Vector Kriss is also in the short list. The Osprey should look badazz with that

Last edited:

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Great can... but I'm a bit worried about issues with indexing it correctly, after long term use. You may also have to check if the guiderod will clear the can if the slide is retracted. Beretta can be threaded, but do not have sufficient space to accomodate most newer suppressors. If this occurs, You can have the barrel extended and threaded.
    I'm going to get tall adjustable sights for my Beretta soon. Adjustable sights are a must to compensate for POI change when shooting suppressed.

My Osprey 9 has seen about 900 rounds with no indexing issues. Always goes on/off the same way and I was tapping steel from 20-30 yards easy the other day with a Glock 19. There is a slight POI shift, but you get a feel for it in a few rounds. Never had a cycling issue. It is as quiet as any other I have shot.

I like SilencerCo as a company. Most of my suppressors are from AAC, so it's not a fanboy thing.

But, if you want a signal about SilencerCo, AAC dropped the price of their entire TiRant line once the Osprey hit the market. It was substantial - about $200 each. They had to meet the Osprey price. It wasn't that someone finally offerred a lower-cost option, because there were many out there cheaper than the Osprey. It was the quality and capability that made them jump. I talked to them at SHOT and they had good things to say about the Osprey, and fully admit SilencerCo made them nervous enough to "check our sh.t and step it up a notch."

AAC has responded with take-apart TiRants. It is a gimmick in my book (and in the eyes of the AAC people I spoke to at SHOT), but it is an example of how one new firm can update an entire industry. For one thing, SilencerCo uses some really advanced auto CNC milling machines that can generally do a full component on one machine with no people involved for tooling or material changes (traditionally, firms use multiple milling machines in series and move components from one station to the next). There are stories out there about how they can modify a design in the morning and be testing a few versions of it in the afternoon, evaluating the data before going home and starting over again the next day. That is a big change and good for us.

But honestly, there is not much new tech in suppressors. Eccentric or "regular", you are paying for materials and machining. More money gets you better materials, maybe a lighter suppressor, and more refined finish. You pay more for titanium than stainless steel. But both work fine.

I say you are good to go with the Ospreys or the TiRants. I'm sure others are fine, too. I just haven't shot or bought them.

Check weight, especially if you are already holding a brick out there (all-steel P226, for instance).

Last edited:

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    The Only 9mm Pistols that I will suppress are:

Beretta 92 Series ( works really well, even without a neilsen device, minimal POI shift)
    HKUSP9SD ( No mods required, just screw in your booster equiped can, and start shooting)

Both will handle and cycle the lightest - heaviest loads without having to change out springs or custom load ammo.

SCAR I was wondering where my Beretta 92 went. Let me know when your done with it and I will come by and pick it up. :lol2:

Sweet rig!

Dave

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Very interesting!

How often do cans get sent back for service?

After thinking it over last night, I think I am back to the Sig and just dealing with the springs. Of course trying some out would really help. There is just nothing like actually doing it! But the conversation is very informative!

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Service as in preventive maintenance... never. Repairs.... If you are into cans.. its just a matter of time. ( baffle strikes, eroded baffles, end cap strikes, crossed mounting threads etc)

This is why suppressors should be acquired from a solid company.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Very interesting!

How often do cans get sent back for service?

After thinking it over last night, I think I am back to the Sig and just dealing with the springs. Of course trying some out would really help. There is just nothing like actually doing it! But the conversation is very informative!

Dont take this the wrong way but I think youre focusing on a problem you will most likely not experience. Is there a chance of it happening, yes, but a low chance at that. Ive shot my buddy's stock P226 with both an Osprey and an EVO9. It functioned 100%. Ask me if Im concerned at all about my Osprey/P226 combo and I'll tell you NO.

Ammo, host weapon, suppressor used, are all part of a system as said before. Every system operates with different requirements. In most cases if a weapon + suppressor combo is causing malfunctions its related directly to the ammo, not the recoil spring weight.

The 3 most commonly suppressed centerfire handguns out there are HK, Sig, and Glock. Theres a reason for this. In most cases they function 100% without modification. Will there be certain instances where one may have a problem, yes. But the problems are fixable.

When it comes down to it, get the host that you want. If you want the Sig, get the Sig. If you want an Hk, get an Hk. If you have a problem at a later date, come here and let us know. Im sure you'll get lots of good advice from those in the know.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I wish Silencerco the best. I little competition amongst manufacturers will benefit consumers like us. Pressure from consumers and unbiased reviews will force manufacturers to produce better products at lower prices.

With that said. My next purchase for a pistol can may be an Osprey 45 to go on an HK tactical. I like to looks of the can and I can live with it being wet to get optimized performance. . The blocky profile looks the the original Suppressor that HK designed for the offensive pistol program.

I suppressed short barreled Vector Kriss is also in the short list. The Osprey should look badazz with that

Take a look.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWnOT6CwwrA

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    Necropost!!!:o

Gents, its been a few years. Any new opinions on 9mm hosts?

I am heavily invested in Glock. Current plan is a G34 + factory G17L barrel that I can have threaded for $65. This option is cheap!

Is it worth it to sell/trade stuff to get into either a 226 or USP 9SD?

I have never owned a SIG and am liking the Legion, but that path is $1100 + $250 for the barrel. The USP 9 SD or 9 Tactical is $1000-$1100.

And then there is the CZ P07/P09 that are close to Glocks in price.

Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom