• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I have a SIG 716 and have previously owned a Bushmaster LR308. While it uses LR308 mags, I'm pretty sure most of the SIG parts are Armalite patterned. The upper receiver is forged as is the lower, they are not cut from billet like the DPMS/Bushy/Remington LR308s and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they used an Armalite sourced bolt. The carrier itself on the SIG is a work of CNC art... :-)

If I was going to do it all over again I would probably buy a DPMS SASS or DPMS REPR instead, as the SIG is friggin heavy for a carbine and if I'm going to haul around that much weight why not get an accuracy bump.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I have a SIG 716 and have previously owned a Bushmaster LR308. While it uses LR308 mags, I'm pretty sure most of the SIG parts are Armalite patterned. The upper receiver is forged as is the lower, they are not cut from billet like the DPMS/Bushy/Remington LR308s and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they used an Armalite sourced bolt. The carrier itself on the SIG is a work of CNC art... :-)

If I was going to do it all over again I would probably buy a DPMS SASS or DPMS REPR instead, as the SIG is friggin heavy for a carbine and if I'm going to haul around that much weight why not get an accuracy bump.

I splurged on myself and got the DPMS SASS. I've only had it out a couple of times and at close range, but so far it's a very good shooter. The only immediate change I'm looking at is a better compensator as it comes with an A2 style flash hinder.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I would like some info on AR-10's. currently looking at the Armalite A10 A4, DPMS LRT, M&P 10. I have built a few AR's but I have heard magazines and other parts are not standard.

edit or should I just build a .300 blackout for one of my current lowers? I currently have a remington 700 in .308 but that's the only .308 I have.

Thanks,

Steve

There is only one AR-10 and that is Armalite.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    There is only one AR-10 and that is Armalite.

True, they own the name and the others are really ARs stretched out and chambered in 308/243 etc. However, the AR 10 rifle Armalite sells today is really just their reincarnation of the name in a macro scaled Colt AR15 copy. It doesn't have any real part compatibility with the original AR10 produced by Fairchild.

MaraD

The Tall Girl
    Aug 15, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    I've owned an M&P 10 since June and I have the following criticisms of it. In my opinion, the pencil barrel overheats way too quickly, especially in the Maryland summertime heat, and S&W does not offer any replacement barrels for this rifle at this time. So upgrading to a heavy barrel is not an option as the barrel is not interchangeable with other AR 10s.

The plastic barrel shroud is cheap. There is no attachment point on an M&P 10 shipped from the factory for a bipod so get ready to modify the rifle from day 1. Even the official M&P 10 spec sheet shows the M&P 10 modified with a free floating hand guard and a replaced front gas block.

I've had problems with the magazine that comes with the M&P being too tight when loaded with 10 rounds, causing the rifle to fail to feed. After replacing the magazine with a 20 round Magpul magazine, I've had no failure to feed problems. Plan to go shopping in VA or PA if you want to replace the magazine.

The adjustable stock that ships with the rifle has an awful lot of play in it. I've had to make modifications to the adjustable stock to reduce the play.

The M&P 10 uses a mid-length gas system. This gas system works well, however, the bolt carrier group does get quite dirty after shooting one hundred rounds or so. I've never had the rifle fail to fire because of dirt buildup though.

I also shoot .308 ammo in a Savage model 12. Its very easy to see at the end of the day which cartridges were fired from which rifle. The M&P 10 cartridges all have more carbon on the outside of the necks which indicates that there seems to be a bit more chamber space in the M&P 10 than the bolt action rifle.

Overall, even though its a fun gun to shoot, its a bit overpriced for the amount of modifications that are required as soon as you purchase it. It is very hard recoiling and I've added a LimbSaver butt pad to mine to reduce the impact that my shoulder was taking (it got to the point that it was not a fun gun to shoot). I am awaiting a Grizzly Gunworks muzzle break which I hope will reduce the recoil impact to my shoulder even more.

If you are a member at AGC and would like to test fire my M&P 10 when I am up there one weekend please send me a private message.

M&P 10.jpg

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co

The advantage of all that weight is the reduction in felt recoil. Mine is a real soft shooter and delivers MOA accuracy with good ammo.

JDBoss

Quiet Professional
    Nov 8, 2010
    Florida
    I've been happy with my Armalite AR10T and Armalite support. I bought it new in 1995 (very low SN), and had a hiccup. Armalite was all over it. It shoots great. I did have them do the GenII upgrade a few years ago, which mandated a replacement for the GenI mags. (the ones with the weird/cumbersome follower).

Very very accurate.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    What do you have?

Sig 716 Patrol - 16" bbl.
    Tried various ammo. Federal 168gr Gold Medal seemed to work the best at about .75"-1.0" @ 100yds.

Peruvian 147gr surplus was the worst at about 6"! :wtf: Frankly I've seen 12ga brenneke slugs turn in a better performance than that crap. Only worthy of making noise and collecting for empty brass.

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    Sig 716 Patrol - 16" bbl.
    Tried various ammo. Federal 168gr Gold Medal seemed to work the best at about .75"-1.0" @ 100yds.

Peruvian 147gr surplus was the worst at about 6"! :wtf: Frankly I've seen 12ga brenneke slugs turn in a better performance than that crap. Only worthy of making noise and collecting for empty brass.

Cool! Can't wait to get mine built! Funny, 2A had a Sig 716 and an Armalite AR 10T the other day. If I recall the Sig was quite a bit lighter than the Armalite. Both very nice! They had a POF in 7.62 at 2A during the craze I really liked.

JDBoss

Quiet Professional
    Nov 8, 2010
    Florida
    Agree, my AR10T is definitely not a lightweight (especially considering the bipod, scope & mount), but it is a sweet shooter. Doesn't beat me up like my old HK91. LOL

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Dpms lr 308 is heavy! Lol shoots decent with factory ammo, I know only a 3 shot group, but still promising. Once I get more than 15 rounds down the pipe and hand loads, I ope it shrinks even more.

Top one in picture.

jimsoden

Super Lurker
    Sep 25, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    Well, I have a DPMS 7.62 NATO Sportical that I love, but if I could get one, I'd LOVE to have a KAC SR25! :D

I have a KAC M4 from the ban era that shoots straight, never fails me! :)

Merry Christmas, 'ya all! :cool:

Jim :patriot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom