• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dec 15, 2012
    Md
    Everything should be suppressed, and every caliber benefits from it. Most supersonic rounds (including full power rifle rounds) sound approximately like an unsuppressed .22. Much nicer for the shooter/ hunter… and nicer for any folks out on the periphery/ in earshot, as well.

In terms of absolute suppression though, nothing beats .22… It’s quieter than a BB gun.

Full sized pistol nothing beats 9mm. .40 is “poppy”, and .45 is just louder.

Right there with 9mm (for ultimate suppression), you have 300blk. Nice thing about this is you can run a full-size rifle platform with a whisper, quiet round that packs as much energy as .45. Then, if for some reason you want more oomf, and OK with the .22 “crack”, you can swap magazines to full power rounds, and not be compromising anything.

Of all my suppressors and toys I use .22 the most, followed by 9mm, followed by 300blk.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    Naïve question about suppressor, since most of those centerfire suppressor are 6" to 7", does that added length increase the bullet's velocity?

Happy Christmas, everyone!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    300BLK subsonic SBR with Form 1 home made can.
    I also had that can set up w/ 308 subsonic on a 16" Ruger American. Sounded like an airsoft.

One of my favorites is that 300BLK SBR

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I like shooting .22LR, 9mm, .45acp, and 300BLK. The .45 can on a pistol is a lot of fun. 300BLK with 220gr subs and a 12.5" barrel is also awesome. My .22 is ridiculously quiet, the bullet hitting the target or the dirt is the loudest part.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Most people already have covered it....

My Henry Big Boy Model X in .357/.38 is about as quiet as my .22s when I shoot 38s through it with my can.

9mm with 147 is pretty quiet, not as quiet as 38s or 22, but definitely hearing safe. Fun and cheap to shoot with my Ruger PCC and 30 round Glock mags.

5.56 and .308 is NOT hearing safe, suppressed.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    My Resonator R2 and Resonator K will disagree with your statement.
    lol doubtful.

Can you “get away with” one or two shots? Sure. Is it hearing safe for 500-600 rounds in a day without earpro? Absolutely not.

I’m not buying a can to take to the range and shoot 1-2 times.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    lol doubtful.

Can you “get away with” one or two shots? Sure. Is it hearing safe for 500-600 rounds in a day without earpro? Absolutely not.

I’m not buying a can to take to the range and shoot 1-2 times.
    And for you the cost versus number of times you'd use it makes sense from a financial standpoint, but your statement is blatantly false for how well a full size can will suppress 556 or 308. I've sent 500 rounds in one day through a 556 SBR with a Resonator K and had no issues. I did the same thing with a AR-10 in 308 with a Resonator R2 and there were no issues.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Thank you for the link! Of course since I’m mainly interested in 223rem, suppressor decreased velocity, lol!

Ehh . With only 5 rounds each suppressed and non suppressed , not far from potentially being within round to round variations . ( Statistics geeks can expound on Confidence Factors , but to lay people , it rounds off to negligible .

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    And for you the cost versus number of times you'd use it makes sense from a financial standpoint, but your statement is blatantly false for how well a full size can will suppress 556 or 308. I've sent 500 rounds in one day through a 556 SBR with a Resonator K and had no issues. I did the same thing with a AR-10 in 308 with a Resonator R2 and there were no issues.
    With no ear pro? lol ya ok

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    In PewScience testing, they rate 3 different suppressors in the low 50s. That, they claim is in the range of hearing safe for an entire range session. These are tested on a 20" bolt gun. Long barrels on bolt guns get the suppressor far away and really do drop the noise at the shooters ear. A 24" or 26" bbl would be even quieter.

I don't think there are any truly hearing safe 308 suppressors on semi-auto yet but it does appear that it can be done with certain bolt gun configs.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    What's your context of " benefit the most " ?

Do you mean Very Freaking Loud , such that any reduction is a big help ?

Or capable of being reduced to Very Quiet ?
    Good question. In terms of before and after noise reduction; I think short-barrel center fire rifles (e.g. 11.5" 5.56) really, really benefits from a can. In terms of sounding like an air gun, any sub-sonic center fire caliber. 45 ACP and 300 Black subs sound to me like an air gun. Even 9mm has a supersonic crack, sounding like someone hit the concrete with a 2 by 4 piece of wood.

Also handguns with their short barrels. A 22 rifle with a can is not very dramatic. But a 22 pistol is substantially more quite with a can.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Good question. In terms of before and after noise reduction; I think short-barrel center fire rifles (e.g. 11.5" 5.56) really, really benefits from a can. In terms of sounding like an air gun, any sub-sonic center fire caliber. 45 ACP and 300 Black subs sound to me like an air gun. Even 9mm has a supersonic crack, sounding like someone hit the concrete with a 2 by 4 piece of wood.

Also handguns with their short barrels. A 22 rifle with a can is not very dramatic. But a 22 pistol is substantially more quite with a can.
    Actually it’s the other way around with 22s. I have 22 rifles that are bolt guns. Being able to keep the action closed, and also being able to shoot the ridiculously low fps stuff like 700fps and lower. Can’t do that with a 22 pistol, which is semi auto, action opens (more noise / gas coming out) and needs minimum 800+ fps to cycle.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Actually it’s the other way around with 22s. I have 22 rifles that are bolt guns. Being able to keep the action closed, and also being able to shoot the ridiculously low fps stuff like 700fps and lower. Can’t do that with a 22 pistol, which is semi auto, action opens (more noise / gas coming out) and needs minimum 800+ fps to cycle.
    Oh absolutely agree that a 22 bolt rifle with subs and a can is super quiet. I was just trying to point out how impressed I was with the before and after on a 22 pistol, suppressed versus not. Yeah on a 22 bolt gun with a can, the click of the firing pin seems to be the loudest thing you gear.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Yes. I suppose in a hunting scenario where you wait and wait and then just take two shots, you might be able to get by w/o ear pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom