• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Yes. I suppose in a hunting scenario where you wait and wait and then just take two shots, you might be able to get by w/o ear pro.
    I mean, I do it. My 350 Legend, suppressed, shooting 180grain Winchester Power Points which are 2100fps. Out in the woods, I barely notice that I shot. It is leaps and bounds better then shooting, say, a 300WSM in the woods without ear pro.

But would I sit somewhere and shoot a 20-30 rounds without ear pro? Absolutely not. While I'm getting away with that one or two shots in the woods, any more than that would cause hearing damage without a doubt. Hell I'm sure maybe even that one shot is causing some damage but it's the risk I take.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Oh absolutely agree that a 22 bolt rifle with subs and a can is super quiet. I was just trying to point out how impressed I was with the before and after on a 22 pistol, suppressed versus not. Yeah on a 22 bolt gun with a can, the click of the firing pin seems to be the loudest thing you gear.
    Yes, I agree. The difference is substantial on 22 pistols, especially with those short barrels, that crack is real loud for the shooter. With a can it is downright comical.

Both my SIG P322 and my Ruger 22/45 eat a steady diet of CCI Standard Velocity which stay sub-sonic out of the pistol barrels. It is stupid quiet with my can (CGS Hydra SS). There is a SLIGHT difference with the CCI Quiet Semi-Auto which is 835fps, they are a TAD quieter then the CCI SV, and it is the lowest FPS stuff that I can get to cycle my semi-autos. However, the difference isn't worth the substantially increased cost. Most people probably wouldn't even notice the difference in sound to be honest, you REALLY have to be listening closely to tell.

Now you want STUPID quiet? Shoot some 22 Colibri (420fps) out of a bolt rifle with a can. The first time I did it, I literally thought the round was a dud and didn't fire. When I cycled the bolt and saw the round went off, I then pulled the bolt and verified it actually left the barrel, ROFL... which, it did. It's a hoot shooting clay pigeons on a berm at like 20 yards with. The Colibri is hard to find though, so I usually just stick to the CCI Quiet (710fps) with my bolt guns. It's stupid quiet, I would say a tad quieter than a BB gun.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland

I suggest you do some research before you cause yourself permanent hearing damage, and others, by the misinformation you are trying to spread.

Here's a start... based on YOUR link...

• 20" Remington 700 shooting .308 Winchester 147 grain measured 135Db
    • 16" 6.8mm AR-15 shooting 110 grain measured 132.5Db
    • 14.5" 5.56mm AR-15 shooting 55 grain measured 132Db

Now lets take a look at this chart... so you're at what, TWO magazines, before you are causing hearing damage...

Daily-Allotted-Shots-Per-dB-Before-Hearing-Damage.png

Some more for ya...

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    I have left handed CZ 452 22lr and manual says not to shoot subsonic ammunition through it. I’m thinking because CZ bores are a little tighter? And there may get stuck in bore with the lower velocity of subsonic ammunition and tighter bore?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Now you want STUPID quiet? Shoot some 22 Colibri (420fps) out of a bolt rifle with a can .

Heck , a Colibri from 20 inch bolt action without a can is already stupid quiet .

A factory .32 S&W ( short) from a 7.5 inch Revolver is quieter than a Red Ryder BB gun .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom