• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I haven’t gone since last February down in AZ. Called in one with a hand call, let a classmate of mine take the shot (his first time hunting) and he missed.

I’d love to do some more here in MD.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I have seen 3 coyotes in MD. All three were seen while turkey hunting between 9 am and noon. Everyone of them seemed to be actively hunting , not scurrying away from something. I tried to squeak them in. Two ignored me and one came towards me and spotted me at 40 yrds. and stopped. I shot it in the chest and it ran into a briar patch. I looked for it awhile, but gave up after only going 25 yrds in 20 mins. It was that thick.
    I havent seen any while deer hunting and that would be all hours during the day. Not sure if they are more active in the Spring or just a coincidence.
    Just throwing that out to anybody who targets coyotes

Last edited:

GenoBluzGtr

Mar 23, 2018
    I have them in my yard at times, down here in St Mary's county. Heard my dog growling one night, stepped out on my deck and two were staring at him through the chain link fence. On at least two other occasions, returning from a band gig in the middle of the night, I have seen 2 or 3 scurry across my yard when I lights hit them.

I haven't had the time to sit out in the cool evening air and try, but a couple of my neighbors have popped 3 or 4 recently. The Amish allow them to hunt on farm property adjacent to my neighborhood. They don't look small or underfed, so they're getting enough to eat somewhere. I know plenty of my neighbors have chickens... or at least used to.

Here is one of my neighbors that posted a pic on our community Facebook page a few months ago...

329640332_1409870859755725_2956200557932113999_n.jpg

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Not a hunter, but seriously thinking of getting into it (deer are thick on and around my property... That's a lot of free meat right there). I haven't seen the coyotes here, but I've heard them very close on occasion.

I'm sadly ignorant on the subject... Not counting the protection of animals, what is the motivation for killing coyotes? Do you eat them? Is the fur valuable? Sport?

I'm not suggesting anything wrong with it, and I'm trying not to be fancy dancy liberal pansy (especially if they are a nuisance or a hazard). I simply don't know.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Guys on my hunting lease in Harford county killed two on the farm this year. One in early muzzleloader, and one opening day of firearms.
    I have heard them numerous times in the last few years, but have not had visual on one myself there in about 4 years.

GenoBluzGtr

Mar 23, 2018
    Not a hunter, but seriously thinking of getting into it (deer are thick on and around my property... That's a lot of free meat right there). I haven't seen the coyotes here, but I've heard them very close on occasion.

I'm sadly ignorant on the subject... Not counting the protection of animals, what is the motivation for killing coyotes? Do you eat them? Is the fur valuable? Sport?

I'm not suggesting anything wrong with it, and I'm trying not to be fancy dancy liberal pansy (especially if they are a nuisance or a hazard). I simply don't know.
    I wouldn't recommend eating them... unless you like the taste of dog meat. it's essentially the same. Not technically inedible, but definitely not on the delicacy menu.

As for value, the fur has some value, but unless they're trapped and processed properly (no bullet holes!), it may not be worth the trouble. Back in my trapping days in the 1970s in Mississippi, I can remember getting $50 or $60 for a decent Coyote pelt. I haven't trapped in several decades, so I don't know the current price point, but it can't be much. Likely not as much as it used to be, since the demand for fur has severely declined. With gunshot damage and not being super cold this time of year (pelt not prime), the amount you could get would be extremely close to not being worth the effort. If I was a betting man, today's market is very likely in the $10-15 range per pelt.

Most people hunt/harvest them because they are a nuisance. A threat to pets and small farm animals. Chickens, Rabbits, small dogs, cats, lambs, small calves, etc. They are also very prone to mange and rabies, so allowing them to breed and overpopulate runs that risk, which makes it dangerous for any pet to encounter them, even if they're not "prey sized". Lastly, for folks that do trap for furs, they over-compete with other more valuable furbearers, like Fox, Bobcat, etc... if the Coyote population gets too large, not enough food to go around and the "good ones" will just be displaced.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Best time to shoot coyotes is when you see them. The first thing I notice is the absence of foxes, fewer squirrels and the neighborhood cats disappear. These are Baltimore County. Image-1_3.JPG IMG_2957.jpg IMG_2959.jpg IMG_2970.jpg IMG_3970.jpg IMG_3971.jpg

Last edited:

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    Ive been kinda slacking this year. Called a few in lately but wasnt able to get em on the ground for one reason or another. Friends have been killing a few here n there. They are definitely multiplying quickly. My son has connected on a few foxs lately. But we head to Kansas for a couple nights at the end of the month to stack em up so hopefully I can get back into kill mode when we get back.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville

Here’s my take on it as a deer and sometime turkey hunter. It’s protecting your hobby. Kind of like keeping the snakes and coons out of the hen house if you like chicken and eggs. Coyotes are not native to the area, they only moved in when competing predators moved out or were significantly decreased. They can decimate the local deer and turkey population. I have not hunted coyote as of yet. Thought about it, but other things have kept me occupied. Not sure what pelts go for, but there is that aspect for those who wish.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Pelts aren’t worth a damn anymore. I do coyote hunting for the sport and management aspect of it.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    There are two in my neighborhood. They come and go. Last time I saw them I went and got my 300BLK with a spotlight but they were gone. We realized they were around when they were trying to get a fox out of it's den. My neighbor and I thought it was a woman being murdered. Shined the light and saw two sets of eyes, but they were orangey red in color not white. Figured they were coyotes. We threw a stick and they took off. Other neighbors have caught them on camera.

WHBD

Oct 4, 2023
    Crownsville

Well, the sport aspect is definitely there. Especially here on the East Coast, you earn the dogs you kill compared to out West.
    Most people with deer leases don't want them. Most farmers want Everything dead. Pretty much every landowner with livestock of one type or another ends up having issues. We have even picked up two golf courses because of peoples' dogs getting stretched out...on leash.

WHBD

Oct 4, 2023
    Crownsville
    I wouldn't recommend eating them... unless you like the taste of dog meat. it's essentially the same. Not technically inedible, but definitely not on the delicacy menu.

As for value, the fur has some value, but unless they're trapped and processed properly (no bullet holes!), it may not be worth the trouble. Back in my trapping days in the 1970s in Mississippi, I can remember getting $50 or $60 for a decent Coyote pelt. I haven't trapped in several decades, so I don't know the current price point, but it can't be much. Likely not as much as it used to be, since the demand for fur has severely declined. With gunshot damage and not being super cold this time of year (pelt not prime), the amount you could get would be extremely close to not being worth the effort. If I was a betting man, today's market is very likely in the $10-15 range per pelt.

Most people hunt/harvest them because they are a nuisance. A threat to pets and small farm animals. Chickens, Rabbits, small dogs, cats, lambs, small calves, etc. They are also very prone to mange and rabies, so allowing them to breed and overpopulate runs that risk, which makes it dangerous for any pet to encounter them, even if they're not "prey sized". Lastly, for folks that do trap for furs, they over-compete with other more valuable furbearers, like Fox, Bobcat, etc... if the Coyote population gets too large, not enough food to go around and the "good ones" will just be displaced.
    We only skin and tan the exceptional ones that we want for ourselves. The juice just isn't worth the squeeze when you're trying to sell the fur anymore.

It is amazing how many have mange. Even at the coldest times of the year.

And my first indication of more coyotes is fewer fox. Idk how many we have watched get stretched out by coyotes through the thermals.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom