• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Looking to add an early Vietnam, standard issue, M16A1 clone to my MilSurp collection and I’m looking for recommendations on who makes a decent clone that is Maryland legal.

Zero interest in putting one together myself - looking for an off the shelf clone.

Thanks in advance.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    No one does as far I’ve seen for cataloged options. You’ll have to commission a build if you don’t want to do it yourself.

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    Maryland compliant dictates a "Heavy Barrel" unless you have a pre 2013 ban lower receiver to build on. In my opinion the early M16A1/AR15 has unique feel from the pencil barrel and the flimsy light triangular handguards. It feels almost toy like compared to my Heavy Barrel M16A2 clone. You could probably find someone to build you one with a heavy barrel, but that's a significant compromise.

Brownells has what you want, but there are pesky legal inconveniences in obtaining it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not possible legally ( without a spare Grandfathered Lower ) .

Buying individual parts , you could make a visual near clone , but the weight and balance would be significantly different .

Or , if you have the $$$ , you can have an Actual M16A1 .

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Search Gunbroker for Colt Hbar. They had several 20" Hbar ARs, and by swapping the handguards with the triangular ones if they fit, looks like a Vietnam era rifle. Some have flash hiders, some, like mine don't. None will have the bayonet lug though, if that is critical for you. Example;

TwinTurbskis

professional amateur
    Jun 9, 2020
    Derwood, MD
    Fulton Armory will put an HBAR barrel on their M16A1 upper. I just got one in a couple days ago with the regular pencil barrel (putting it on a pre-13 lower) and it appears to be very nice.

I know you said no interest in building, but I don't consider mating a complete upper to a complete lower "building" haha.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Fulton Armory will put an HBAR barrel on their M16A1 upper. I just got one in a couple days ago with the regular pencil barrel (putting it on a pre-13 lower) and it appears to be very nice.

I know you said no interest in building, but I don't consider mating a complete upper to a complete lower "building" haha.
    Gotcha - thanks.
    I had Fulton build me a Winchester Carbine and overhaul a Garand within the past couple years. I will give Rich a call tomorrow and see what he says.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This is MD law, so ride along with me.

This is a legit HBAR in MD, because it’s marketed that way:
    There is machining ahead of the FSB, but the barrel is an HBAR.

If THIS barrel:
    is still too thin, have the part of the barrel from the FSB down turned to the correct diameter. BOOM! MD compliant A1 with “pencil barrel”.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    I've always wondered if it's legal to own non-HBAR ARs in MD that are set up in the CA-style Maglocked config, if you only load them with 10-round mags. Not ideal for a weapon that you plan to use for normal sporting and self-defense purposes, but fine if you just want something that looks and feels like an M16A1 (or another pencil-barreled AR) and is slightly neutered.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I've always wondered if it's legal to own non-HBAR ARs in MD that are set up in the CA-style Maglocked config, if you only load them with 10-round mags. Not ideal for a weapon that you plan to use for normal sporting and self-defense purposes, but fine if you just want something that looks and feels like an M16A1 (or another pencil-barreled AR) and is slightly neutered.
    No.

Nothing on Maryland law about that at all. You may not cut off your weener to get the gun you want. Though I believe my pathway above is quite legal. PLUS, you can get a brand new A1 lower:

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    No.

Nothing on Maryland law about that at all. You may not cut off your weener to get the gun you want. Though I believe my pathway above is quite legal. PLUS, you can get a brand new A1 lower:

FSA 2013 explicitly states that it applies only to semi-automatic rifles with detachable mags and more than one "evil" feature, or semi-automatic rifles with fixed mags holding over 10 rounds and more than one "evil" feature. By implication, it does not apply to semi-auto rifles with fixed mags holding 10 rounds or less. So if you have a CA-compliant AR config that has a pencil barrel, I fail to see how that's not legal based on the way the law reads now.

I'm also going to caveat that I would not attempt this style build without talking to MSP for guidance beforehand (assuming that nobody else on MDS has done so).

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    FSA 2013 explicitly states that it applies only to semi-automatic rifles with detachable mags and more than one "evil" feature, or semi-automatic rifles with fixed mags holding over 10 rounds and more than one "evil" feature. By implication, it does not apply to semi-auto rifles with fixed mags holding 10 rounds or less. So if you have a CA-compliant AR config that has a pencil barrel, I fail to see how that's not legal based on the way the law reads now.

I'm also going to caveat that I would not attempt this style build without talking to MSP for guidance beforehand (assuming that nobody else on MDS has done so).
    The law explicitly bans ANY AR configuration the IS NOT an HBAR…

Sorry. It’s MD.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    The law explicitly bans ANY AR configuration the IS NOT an HBAR…

Sorry. It’s MD.

Hmmm, got it. I just find that so weird that the law can state that it's only applicable to semi-auto rifles with detachable mags or fixed 10+ mags, and yet still ban something that doesn't have either of those features.

Then again, the law is full of contradictions. It claims to ban only semi-auto shotguns (with folding stocks and/or drums), yet it bans by name the Mossberg 500 Bullpup, which is a pump-action shotgun that looks scary.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Hmmm, got it. I just find that so weird that the law can state that it's only applicable to semi-auto rifles with detachable mags or fixed 10+ mags, and yet still ban something that doesn't have either of those features.

Then again, the law is full of contradictions. It claims to ban only semi-auto shotguns (with folding stocks and/or drums), yet it bans by name the Mossberg 500 Bullpup, which is a pump-action shotgun that looks scary.
    Bushmasters. Scary AR’s, those.

It’s MD. It’s not supposed to make sense.

Your other option would be to do an SBR with a 15.9” pencil barrel….or a “commando”.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    Bushmasters. Scary AR’s, those.

It’s MD. It’s not supposed to make sense.

Your other option would be to do an SBR with a 15.9” pencil barrel….or a “commando”.

In other threads, we've had back-and-forth about whether the Bushmaster prohibition applies to anything made by Bushmaster (including HBAR ARs that would seem to be otherwise legal), or their very first semi-auto rifle made in the late-1970s. I think someone said that they got a letter from MSP telling them that it's the latter...

Also, hasn't there been some back-and-forth about whether the HBAR requirements apply to SBRs as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom