• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well - then you have the HBAR requirement, so no unfortunately. That would work well in states like VA though.
    [EDIT] Strictly speaking the original moderator was only 4.5" long and the original barrel 11.5" so you would have to fudge one or the other. But I think a lot of guys do that.

Historically correct Moderators are classified as Suppressors .

How ever , 5.5 inch flashhider of similar general look are a thing , and are used to bring an 11.5 up to 16 Inch.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Historically correct Moderators are classified as Suppressors .

How ever , 5.5 inch flashhider of similar general look are a thing , and are used to bring an 11.5 up to 16 Inch.
    Tell you what - I would buy a real or clone of a real moderator as an NFA item if such a thing were available.

[EDIT] I guess the K version of your can is kindof the modern version of a moderator. Most of these are 5".

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Tell you what - I would buy a real or clone of a real moderator as an NFA item if such a thing were available.

Originals are probably $$ just for the rarity . But they would be simple enough to machine from scratch , as a bespoke item.

But it would be a stretch for a regular production product that had the $ and regulatory hassles of an actual Suppressor , but didn't do any meaningful suppressing ..Plus require and additional set of Forms and tax stamp for being SBR .

Actually , I'm part way with you . I'll eventually get an XM- 177 - ish upper . But I'll be willing to suspend disbelief for a 5.5 inch muzzle device .

VRC Racing

MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2009
    Ijamsville

[EDIT] I guess the K version of your can is kindof the modern version of a moderator. Most of these are 5".
    moderator for sale

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    moderator for sale

Damn - for that price I could have a metal shop fabricated one and do my own form 1.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    moderator for sale

Going to find out more about this one: https://innovativeindustriesllc.com/xm177-moderator/

Course now I am reading that the moderator only damped the sound by 4.7dB

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    So thew way the law is worded - can OP buy a used Colt receiver that is marked HBAR and then get (e.g.) a nice A1 upper from Fulton Armory?

Interesting question. But I'd think not. The barrel, not the receiver, is what counts towards determining whether a rifle/URG is an "HBAR" model, and the guidance that MSP has given indicates that it's the barrel which has to be marked or marketed by the OEM as heavy. Not the lower receiver.

I should also point out that what you posted is an A2-style lower (has the built-up portion at the back), which wouldn't be clone-correct for an A1 clone, anyway.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Interesting question. But I'd think not. The barrel, not the receiver, is what counts towards determining whether a rifle/URG is an "HBAR" model, and the guidance that MSP has given indicates that it's the barrel which has to be marked or marketed by the OEM as heavy. Not the lower receiver.

I should also point out that what you posted is an A2-style lower (has the built-up portion at the back), which wouldn't be clone-correct for an A1 clone, anyway.
    Thought the A1 had a full fence? No?

Oh the reinforced portion. True but pretty subtle.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    Not possible legally ( without a spare Grandfathered Lower ) .

Buying individual parts , you could make a visual near clone , but the weight and balance would be significantly different .

Or , if you have the $$$ , you can have an Actual M16A1 .
    Any idea what they go for these days?

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Around the mag release? Yes. But the other difference between an A1 and an A2 lower is the rear - A2s are reinforced. Compare pics of both and you’ll see what I mean.
    An A2 would be close enough for me.

So my motivation for a "Commando" clone is more for the features than something 100% authentic. I don't like or think a forward assist is required. I like a lighter profile barrel. I like the A1 sights. I think the A2 /A4 sights are too complex. Having a fake moderator is nice for grins, but using the short version of my Rugged radiant (5.1") is probably the most practical setup. Looks like most K version cans are in the 5.0 to 5.5" range. Not hearing safe but much more pleasant to shoot and still handy.

My other favorite retro is the Air Force version of the M16 upper which omits forward assist and uses a chrome bolt w/o the serrations and has a pencil barrel. I have an upper just like that but alas, my pre-ban AR is set up as an A4 configuration. I did the A4 before I realized the older style is a better design (also more widely available) . I think Eugene Stoner got it right.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Fair enough, but I still think that MSP would tell you that it’s illegal to put an upper with an A1-profile barrel on that lower.
    Yep - but - I have a preban lower :) Unfortunately it's in an A2/A4 stock configuration (as I already said). So putting my "Air Force" version sans forward assist is just not quite right but still fun. I will make it right when I retire out of state.

IMG_2537.JPEG

rifle-556-psa.jpg

Last edited:

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I was issued M16A1s during my service in the early '80s. Those were old Vietnam era rifles still in service then. They seemed pretty flimsy with triangular hand guards and thin barrels. I much prefer the Colt M4 with a heavy barrel. Now I own a law enforcement version with a 1-in-7 inch twist to stabilize heavier bullets and it is a better rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom