• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dreago

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2009
    I'd also ask...

1a4d9423eb1ca587a80b6f1700d4faa9.jpg
    Anyone from Metallica might be able to chime in on this too.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    That's wild. So essentially you could take the initial course, get your permit, then take the renewal course a week later.
    I guess so. It actually says "2 years prior to applying" so I'm wondering if you could time it just right and use the same course for both? LOL

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I guess so. It actually says "2 years prior to applying" so I'm wondering if you could time it just right and use the same course for both? LOL
    No.

You 'could' take the 8 hour class the day after you get the permit- the first time.

The renewal lasts for THREE years, and subsequent permits are valid for 3years each.

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    Not on the first cycle. First time you only get 2 years.
    Not quite. For first permit you get to your birth month after the second anniversary of your birth month. My birth month is September. My initial permit was issued in October. It was, therefore, good for 35 months. How could that be? Well, Maryland.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Not quite. For first permit you get to your birth month after the second anniversary of your birth month. My birth month is September. My initial permit was issued in October. It was, therefore, good for 35 months. How could that be? Well, Maryland.
    Yes initials are anywhere from 24 to 35. Thank the MD GA in their infinite ... "wisdom"

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    The problem seems to be not as many people wanting renewals so it’s tough to get a class together, or people waiting until the last minute and then it can’t get scheduled.

I’ve started offering private courses, the bad is they cost more due to it only being for 1-2 people. The nice thing is they can be scheduled quickly and are perfect for someone who is not comfortable in a bigger group and benefits from the one-on-one atmosphere.

Like any instructor I hope my students return for renewals and other courses.

TD

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Holy chit did not know my spelling grammar mistake of useing the word “whom” (spell check) opposed to “who” would cause so many hurt feelings when asking simple question about a renewal class. If directed at my original post title.I am Seeking information, nothing more ,nothing less grammar police no need to reply
    Thanks for feedback on renewal training options guys

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's a question of raw numbers .

Pre Bruin , only 20K - ish people with Permits , who would have to get renewals on their own dime ( as opposed to provided by employer ) .

Post Bruen Permits not up for renewal yet . But by late 2024 , the market demand for renewals will be same order of magnitude as for initial training .

Supply / Demand . To fill market demand , you will see significant % of Instructors offering Renewal Specific classes , or restructuring Initial classes , so that one day will be all basic instruction stuff , and other day will include the MSP training outline and qualification.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Supply / Demand . To fill market demand , you will see significant % of Instructors offering Renewal Specific classes , or restructuring Initial classes , so that one day will be all basic instruction stuff , and other day will include the MSP training outline and qualification.
    The MSP training isn't an outline it contains a lot of basic. Doing it as you describe would have a lot of redundancy.

My change will be Renewal specific rather than concurrent 16/8.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    Also, keep in mind renewals are based on birth date, not date of issue. That initial surge is now divided over 12 months, so the classes will be smaller in size. This is, actually, a good thing for the attendees. Classes immediately after Bruen were packed like sardines in most places.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Also, keep in mind renewals are based on birth date, not date of issue. That initial surge is now divided over 12 months, so the classes will be smaller in size. This is, actually, a good thing for the attendees. Classes immediately after Bruen were packed like sardines in most places.
    I didn’t allow my classes to get to big. I know of some that were ridiculous.

TD

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    The MSP training isn't an outline it contains a lot of basic. Doing it as you describe would have a lot of redundancy.

My change will be Renewal specific rather than concurrent 16/8.
    With the new “stuff” it will be very difficult to not do it as a renewal specific stand alone course instead of having people attend one day of a two day course.

If you just wanted to “check the box” and do the minimum it might work but I don’t do that type course.

TD

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    The NRA Defensive Pistol course used to work great as a renewal, just added a Md required subject/law component and boom!

No longer will work so I foresee renewal specific courses occurring soon.

TD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom