Who's going out for small game tomorrow (9/3)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Just curious. All of my Ruger .22s are sighted in, ready to rock and roll. I was going to put a Rattler scope on one (and did), but had a change of heart at the last minute and went with a clip on model instead. I sense Brunswick stew in my near future!

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I might if I get the time in the PM. I encountered the biggest tree rat the last two afternoons that I've ever seen. Absolutely massive fox squirrel. It's tail alone had to have been ~20-24" and I'd estimate 16-18" between the quarters. We're talking a BBQ worthy squirrel. I've heard of them getting that big further south, but had never seen one.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I’ll wait until we get a couple of good frost before I hunt small game. That being said, I plan on hunting doves on Monday with my son, cousin, and possibly my brother.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I might if I get the time in the PM. I encountered the biggest tree rat the last two afternoons that I've ever seen. Absolutely massive fox squirrel. It's tail alone had to have been ~20-24" and I'd estimate 16-18" between the quarters. We're talking a BBQ worthy squirrel. I've heard of them getting that big further south, but had never seen one.
    Jesus. That’s a squirrel from Chernobyl.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Jesus. That’s a squirrel from Chernobyl.
    I was absolutely shocked when I saw it. It completely dwarfed all of the normal gray squirrels that we get in the dogwoods. I may have to get it mounted as proof should my luck break that way. I figure it with a little cowboy hat and a pair of mini six-guns on its hips would be appropriate for squirrel taxidermy.

Last edited:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I was absolutely shocked when I saw it. It completely dwarfed all of the normal gray squirrels that we get in the dogwoods. I may have to get it mounted as proof should my luck break that way. I figure it with a little cowboy hat and a pair of mini six-guns on its hips would be appropriate for squirrel taxidermy.

I'll never forget seeing some of the fox squirrels in WVa for the first time years ago. For someone used to only greys, the damn things looked like cats!

Get that rascal! Good Luck!

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Are you sure it wasn't just a smaller gray coyote?

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I'll never forget seeing some of the fox squirrels in WVa for the first time years ago. For someone used to only greys, the damn things looked like cats!

Thanks! There's a healthy population of fox squirrels here. Mostly they keep to the other side of the ridge line from me. Gamewise, the tend to taste a lot better than grays, IMO. I haven't been out for them in a few years.

Are you sure it wasn't just a smaller gray coyote?
    :lol: I suppose it could've been a small red fox, if they learned how to climb and gracefully leap between trees about ~15-20' above the ground. Definitely a fox squirrel.

In all seriousness, When I first saw part of it behind partial cover, my first thought was groundhog as I've seen them climb 10-12' up trees occasionally. But tweren't that, either.

Sampson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 24, 2013
    White Marsh

Saw 2 that were cat size down in Dorchester years ago. Actually, thought they were cats because one was an albino and the other was almost all black. It wasn't til they got closer and scurried around the tree that I figured out what they were.

Last edited:

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    IMG20220903100728.jpg

One down. 5 to go.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I usually don’t go out until rabbit opens too, but honestly I’ve been looking for excuses to shoot my new rimfire suppressor. Target practice on squirrels actually isn’t a bad idea.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Went out today . It was a hot day , beautiful morning. Not much happening after around 8 . Sat up on field in afternoon looking for some dove , nothing flying . 3 squirrels though I’m content. Still very thick but nice to get out.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    We got into the doves today good over on the shore. There is a limit that was already cleaned and bagged before we took a pic.. Dove poppers for lunch tomorrow!!!

IMG_6952.JPG

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    As my "river trips" have pushed into Mid/late Oct,, small game is now a Jan thing, after I am done with deer.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Sorry, didn't see this post.. Really simple.. breast out the doves and remove the breasts from the breastplate. Take a jalapeno and quarter it (lengthwise then crosswise, big ones work better). Make up a cream cheese filling with 1 stick of cream cheese softened and 1 or a little more teaspoons of Tony Catcheres Cajun spice, mix well. Fill the jalapeno with cream cheese mix, don't be sparing, you'll lose a little at the end usually. Add the half dove breast, then wrap with 1/2 slice of bacon and toothpick it together. This will do a limit with one stick of cream cheese mix and about 8 jalapenos, you may need more than 1lb of bacon.

Smoke at 225 for about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs and then put them on the grill to crisp the bacon up, about 15 mins on a hot grill (to your liking). I use hickory, mesquite or cherry, all work well.

Still eating the leftovers.. nuke em in the microwave for a min or so on half power.. ;)

IMG_6975.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom