• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Ah, yes, like those Colt rifles that don't use CHF barrels. Everyone knows those are low quality variants! :) And LMT... man, we all know how they suck.

It's completely untrue to claim that only low quality and high precision target AR-15s don't have CHF barrels. IIRC, 5k rounds is when accuracy starts degrading in a non-CHF AR-15 barrel. It doesn't mean your barrel is shot out and unusable. It doesn't even mean that your gun is inaccurate in a way you'd notice - just less accurate in some, probably small, fashion.

It would be interesting to see someone actually do a study with a high-quality non-CHF AR barrel and a CHF AK barrel and see what really happens under varying firing schemes. What we have now is a lot of internet lore, not so much science. And given how some folks in the firearms enthusiast community tend to dramatically overhype an otherwise good thing, I think it would be a good thing to formally test.

And, as always, let me point out that no one here is going to install that third pin (and we pay for our own ammo!), so what happens to a gun's barrel does under long term sustained full auto is basically academic for civilians. In theory, CHF is better, I do not dispute it. In practice for even your average enthusiast (who, according to a recent survey, makes it out to the range maybe once a month), it won't matter much, if at all.

I meant to add but the edit feature somehow omitted it that nitriding and other processes that add to barrel durability are also acceptable.

If anything right now I am going against my own merits by owning my PTR. It uses a Green Mountain blank, button-formed by PTR, using some chrome-moly feature. Im giving that a go and seeing how long it will last. So far almost 1000 rounds and still going.

12a10

Apr 6, 2009
    AA County Crownsville
    Bought 5 of these from KEEPSHOOTING for 19.95 each plus $6 shipping for te lot.

Very nice quality and appears to be good steel--way better than
    Tapco flats (no flaws, good finish, no burrs, harder steel).

As for final machining , a $15 Tapco flat clamps easily to act as guide and template, especially for the XY dimples. Also use Tapco flat as a drill size guide. I will be plug welding so trunnion holes are a non issue. Will use screw kit to attach extractor and bolt guide.

Am assuming that completing this "blank " will qualify as a "compliance part" but intend to hedge my bets and use 6 other US parts.

Definitely buying a few while they are available. KEEPSHOOTING had over 400 to sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom