Would you carry a .44spl if you had one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you carry a 5 shot .44spl revolver if you had one?

• Yes, it would be my primary carry gun

Votes: 7 9.3%
    • Yes, occasionally

Votes: 41 54.7%
    • No, there are better rounds for defense

Votes: 9 12.0%
    • No, I wouldn't carry a 5 shot revolver

Votes: 18 24.0%

• Total voters

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I had a Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 Special as well. Nice size. Shooting fast it would skip chambers…a recognized problem. I have a 3” Smith in 44 Special, N Frame. I kept it charged with Winchester Silvertips when I used it as a defensive arm.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Some of you need to read another old classic to get your headspace and timing set regarding the use of any revolver or pistol regardless the number of rounds you’re carrying.

Yeah, it may be old and Bill Jordan mentions Elmer Keith developing some new fangle .41 Magnum but the lessons and principles that Bill Jordan teaches are still rock solid.

Reading the original guys like Jordan, Keith, Cooper and Applegate is tantamount to studying Sun Tzu, Machiavelli or Sulla in philosophy 14947FDC-BBCF-4F5D-AB95-F0E96F6EAF72.jpeg

Last edited:

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    A lot of people here trusting their first round self defense shooting accuracy under stress.
    Those who carry revolvers for their serious EDC ( I'm not talking about throwing a hammerless in your coat pocket at night taking the dog for a quick walk around the block), but daily, 9-5 out in public travels, need to watch some police/self defense shooting videos, put yourself in their position, and ask yourself if a revolver would have been a better choice.

A self defense shooting is an "open shooting match", so why would you carry limited class?

And don't tout the " Most self defense shootings are only 2 rounds between 7 and 10 yards", or "They don't jam" crap.
    Let me start by saying I don’t know you other than reading your post here, but I do value your opinions.
    I see your point about not carrying a revolver as your primary weapon. When the SHTF, 5 or 6 shots, might not be enough. I get that.

My question to you is what is “enough” in your opinion? I talking concealed carry here. What caliber and capacity do you feel makes you “armed enough”.

It’s funny, as I do carry a snub nose 38 as a primary, very often. The way i see it, I’m pretty low risk of ever needing to use it. Also I’ve found nothing quite as comfortable as wearing a revolver IWB, unless we are talking pocket carry. But I am very new to carrying at all.

When you said “I’m not talking about throwing a hammerless in your coat pocket, to walk the dog around the block”, for me that’s probably the most riskiest thing i do all day.
    Looking forward to your response.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Let me start by saying I don’t know you other than reading your post here, but I do value your opinions.
    I see your point about not carrying a revolver as your primary weapon. When the SHTF, 5 or 6 shots, might not be enough. I get that.

My question to you is what is “enough” in your opinion? I talking concealed carry here. What caliber and capacity do you feel makes you “armed enough”.

It’s funny, as I do carry a snub nose 38 as a primary, very often. The way i see it, I’m pretty low risk of ever needing to use it. Also I’ve found nothing quite as comfortable as wearing a revolver IWB, unless we are talking pocket carry. But I am very new to carrying at all.

When you said “I’m not talking about throwing a hammerless in your coat pocket, to walk the dog around the block”, for me that’s probably the most riskiest thing i do all day.
    Looking forward to your response.
    Let me start out like this. If someone wants to carry a revolver, that's fine. But let's be clear, taking your revolver to the range every so often, firing 50 rounds to blow the dust off you, is not "training". Don't fool yourself. I don't mean you specifically.

I see people once a year at my LEOSA qualification with revolvers and they have a shit time trying to keep up with a 50 round course of fire. Hogarth and Erwos don't see revolvers in the many quality classes they take.
    Anyone who runs any quality self defense training class doesn't even allow a revolver. The pistol just cannot keep up with the efficiency and round counts of semi's.
    That's why I said for someone with their revolver, should put themselves in a police shooting video and see if a revolver would cut it. It won't.

There's a difference between what makes you feel "secure" and what provides you with the best security.
    Small revolvers or a Ruger LCP (Little crappy pistol) makes someone feel secure, simply by just having a gun on their person.
    A 9mm semi auto with 10-15 rounds per mag and a spare mag is "enough".

The reason policies agencies transitioned to semi auto's in the late 80's early 90's was because their revolvers were not able to keep up with the "firepower" of semi autos out on the street.

If you carry a revolver for your self defense, that's fine. I sometimes just throw a hammerless airweight in my winter coat pocket to go for a 20 minute walk at night. But I realize and understand that I am not even half as good or prepared with that as I am with a semi and spare mag carried properly.
    Again, don't use a "production class gun" when you are shooting in an "open class" competition. Why put yourself at a disadvantage?

Nothing wrong with a revolver as long as one understands their capabilities are limited.

I know as usual, someone will misunderstand everything I said here and will start some sort of flaming :)

ras61

Nov 13, 2013
    The Chiappa Rhino is butt ugly but has some great features and calibers for a 6 shot CC revolver

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Let me start out like this. If someone wants to carry a revolver, that's fine. But let's be clear, taking your revolver to the range every so often, firing 50 rounds to blow the dust off you, is not "training". Don't fool yourself. I don't mean you specifically.

I see people once a year at my LEOSA qualification with revolvers and they have a shit time trying to keep up with a 50 round course of fire. Hogarth and Erwos don't see revolvers in the many quality classes they take.
    Anyone who runs any quality self defense training class doesn't even allow a revolver. The pistol just cannot keep up with the efficiency and round counts of semi's.
    That's why I said for someone with their revolver, should put themselves in a police shooting video and see if a revolver would cut it. It won't.

There's a difference between what makes you feel "secure" and what provides you with the best security.
    Small revolvers or a Ruger LCP (Little crappy pistol) makes someone feel secure, simply by just having a gun on their person.
    A 9mm semi auto with 10-15 rounds per mag and a spare mag is "enough".

The reason policies agencies transitioned to semi auto's in the late 80's early 90's was because their revolvers were not able to keep up with the "firepower" of semi autos out on the street.

If you carry a revolver for your self defense, that's fine. I sometimes just throw a hammerless airweight in my winter coat pocket to go for a 20 minute walk at night. But I realize and understand that I am not even half as good or prepared with that as I am with a semi and spare mag carried properly.
    Again, don't use a "production class gun" when you are shooting in an "open class" competition. Why put yourself at a disadvantage?

Nothing wrong with a revolver as long as one understands their capabilities are limited.

I know as usual, someone will misunderstand everything I said here and will start some sort of flaming :)
    Thanks for the response, and I understand it fully.
    Your points are valid and well taken.
    I really need to look into getting something other than a revolver or single stack pistol for my primary carry. I kinda. knew that, but you confirmed my thoughts.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Thanks for the response, and I understand it fully.
    Your points are valid and well taken.
    I really need to look into getting something other than a revolver or single stack pistol for my primary carry. I kinda. knew that, but you confirmed my thoughts.
    I love revolvers. I compete with one and really figured that's what I'd carry. I figured wrong, other than, as Blaster mentioned, slipping it in a pocket for a quickie when I don't plan on needing it anyway.

Other than in the pocket, the auto rides infinitely better and has more than double the capacity in a what looks like a smaller footprint.
    20221005_130741.jpg

It's ok to join the kids in the 21st century with their mechanized heaters ;)

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    OIP.jpg

Worth a read if not too expensive. IIRC I got my copy for about 20 bucks and it's on Amazon now for 180??? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm subjected to the CA roster so the latest CCW SA's are LEO only and unobtainum or at a high premium. And the CA permit only allows for three handguns; so a snubby is one of my three. I've found I carry it the most and I train with it the most. But that's me; you do you.

There are other good reads out there but this one sticks in my mind. There are many options on CCW and in my opinion it's worth educating yourself. Even if you don't go in that direction, you learned something that may come in handy at some point.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I love revolvers. I compete with one and really figured that's what I'd carry. I figured wrong, other than, as Blaster mentioned, slipping it in a pocket for a quickie when I don't plan on needing it anyway.

Other than in the pocket, the auto rides infinitely better and has more than double the capacity in a what looks like a smaller footprint. View attachment 392918
    I remember considering getting an LCR, sight unseen. And then I went to a gunshop and saw how big it was! It's like the size of a Glock 19! Yes, it is shaped differently, but it can only he considered "small" when compared with other revolvers.

Blaster is right that I rarely see revolvers in classes. I might have seen ONE. Instructors generally have classes specifically geared toward revolvers for the revolver users out there. The instructors can adjust round counts and courses of fire accordingly as well as address the unique pros and cons of revolvers in those classes.

In answer to the original question, I would not carry a 5 shot .44 special. I have nothing against 5 shots per se, but only as a tradeoff for size, like a J frame. A .44 CA Bulldog is not small enough to warrant the tradeoff in capacity, nor is it a death ray. Plus CA was never known for their QC.

Lots of people posting Elmer Keith and Bill Jordan books and quotes. First, I doubt this forum is blessed with anyone with their specific talents. Second, I don't see too many '57 Chevys on the road today. We've moved on in our expectations of a lot of things we use. Including firearms. And the modern day equivalents of Keith and Jordan carry semiautos.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Let's put it this way.

I would purchase a semi with spare mag in lieu of a free revolver with 1 speed loader in preparation for a 3 hour walk through Baltimore city on a Friday night.

But I swear there are people who still think a revolver would be a better choice.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD

Other than in the pocket, the auto rides infinitely better and has more than double the capacity in a what looks like a smaller footprint
    Like you I love revolvers, and shoot them often but you both are right. I knew it too, but you all are confirming my thoughts.
    So I’ll try to join you 21st century kids and look into a mechanized heater. Lol.
    So what’s the pistol under the revolver? I’m interested.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I like revolvers too.

I have an older S&W 44 spl revolver that I carried in VA bear country, for want of anything bigger. No snubby, 6" bbl in an old Heiser holster. Buffalo bore heavy ammunition. Eventually I got a 41 magnum for the purpose, but I don't have any plans to visiting the VA mountains any time soon.

BB does make a couple anti-personnel rounds for the caliber. One is a 200 gr hard cast wadcutter, the other is 190 gr soft cast HP, your basic "flying ashtray".

I don't see it as a city EDC gun. If it's all you have, it would work for home use, I suppose.

(I have an old Colt New Service in 45LC that I was going to Fitz, lopping several inches off the barrel and bobbing the hammer, maybe shortening the grip. Never got around to it though. Dunno as I'd carry it, but those Fitz Specials do have a certain charm.)

I have a pair of S&W "hammerless" airweights in 38 spl that would be good coat pocket guns, but I've grown accustomed to just wearing a CZ 9mm IWB. I admit it would be a PITA to draw from under winter jacket, but in reality I doubt I'll ever actually need to do so.

Reality hasn't stopped me from buying the occasional revolver, though. I picked up a 3" New Python last spring, just because it was there. (Thanks, Edmund!)

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Let's put it this way.

One size does not fit all and it's up the CCW holder to determine what fits.

I've been in classes where folks were qualifying with 22 Mag and 44 Special revolvers. Not for me but not my carry so IDGAF. The instructor had no significant comment either other than to hit the target and qualify. And they did.

I'm not arguing for or against any handgun platform. I am arguing that there should be a more nuanced approach to fitting what works for the end user.

After all that's what counts, or should count, right?

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Let's put it this way.

I would purchase a semi with spare mag in lieu of a free revolver with 1 speed loader in preparation for a 3 hour walk through Baltimore city on a Friday night.

But I swear there are people who still think a revolver would be a better choice.
    Man, I don't even walk thru Bethesda for 20 minutes on a Friday night! :lol2:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Would I ? Heck ,I have ,albeit 6 shots ( and snub .44mag loaded with Specials) . Continuing the big bore theme, .45 Colt 2in and .3.5 in .

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    One of these loaded with specials would carry pretty easily at 25oz or so. Magnums it might be a bit snappy.

Attachments

• DE4D050D-DE7D-44F9-BB37-719BA62F114C.jpeg
      DE4D050D-DE7D-44F9-BB37-719BA62F114C.jpeg
      80.6 KB · Views: 30

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads