Would you carry a .44spl if you had one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you carry a 5 shot .44spl revolver if you had one?

• Yes, it would be my primary carry gun

Votes: 7 9.3%
    • Yes, occasionally

Votes: 41 54.7%
    • No, there are better rounds for defense

Votes: 9 12.0%
    • No, I wouldn't carry a 5 shot revolver

Votes: 18 24.0%

• Total voters

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    I have one I have had for 35 years. Carried while hunting out west and now lives close to me at night as a first line of defence if they get past the rottweiler quietly. :D
    I would have no problem carring mine but have to mention it does not have the 2.5" barrel.

essence1st

Disarmed by complacency.
    Oct 21, 2022
    Md
    Background:
    I have long wanted (over 20 years) to buy a Taurus 431. The one time I won one on Gunbroker (around 20 years ago), I didn't make much money and just after my bid I had a huge unexpected expense and worked out with the seller that I could cancel the sale by paying the Gunbroker fees (the gun was only $200 something at the time). Since then, I was often hesitant to pull the trigger when the prices had doubled, and when I got used to the higher prices I just had other priorities. Well, lately I've been revamping my collection, selling some guns I don't really want (some didn't really fit what I bought them for, others were cheaper guns than what I wanted for a particular niche, others I just stopped shooting/liking so much) and buying guns I always wanted but never bought. I recently won a Gunbroker auction for a 2.5" Taurus 431 (it should be at my FFL any day now).

So, I now have a .44spl. It is a good carry size (K-frame sized 2.5" barrel), though not for everyday carry. However, most .44 cal hollow points are designed around the .44mag. Unlike .38 vs. .357 where there is enough of a .38spl defensive market to develop separate bullets that are optimized for both sets of velocities, many/most .44 cal bullets are not. So, many .44spl hollow points do not open up and can have issues with over penetration.

On to the questions...

As the title says, if you have a .44spl, would you carry it? Would you use it for home defense? If you would, what round would you use?

Pros:
    -I like a larger bore and low pressure round, especially for home defense. The lower noise level (even if marginal) may do a little less hearing damage if shot in a defensive situation without hearing protection, while still having the potential of being relatively effective.
    -Now that I can carry everyday, I'm finding that I like carrying a revolver more than I thought I would and often find myself with my Taurus 85CH, Taurus 856 or Colt King Cobra and sometimes two of them at a time. A larger bore addition would be nice.
    -I bought it because I wanted one for years, not specifically to use as a carry gun (I have quite a few options). However, it first caught my eye (20+ years ago) as a potential carry and home defense gun.
    -It is a little different. OK, that maybe isn't a good rational reason to carry it, but sometimes just wanting to pick something a little different is enough for every now and then (though not for everyday).
    -As a .44cal, even if hollow points don't expand, it would still create a reasonable sized hole (comparable to some of the lesser 9mm JHPs when they expand).
    -When I'm in the mood to carry a big bore revolver, it is much smaller than my N-frame S&W 625 Mountain Gun.

Cons:
    -A lot of the positive changes in ammo development seem to have missed .44spl which seems to be seen by the ammo manufacturers as mainly a "cowboy" caliber and defensive uses are at best an afterthought.
    -If a hollow point doesn't expand, over penetration is a concern (especially when used for home defense or in close quarters).
    -It doesn't really do anything that my .45LC can't do (and there has been some development of defensive rounds in that caliber).
    -A K-frame sized gun is a little on the large size for carry, especially for a gun that only has a 5 round capacity.
    -This is my first 2.5" K-frame sized gun so I don't have a holster for it, adding to my costs (in the past, all the K-frames I've owned have been 3" or 4" and the only one I currently have is a 3").

Ammo:
    For ammo, since there is a good chance that hollow points won't expand, I was thinking about Underwood Extreme Defenders, but I don't see a lot of tests to reassure me that over penetration won't be an issue. I have seen some testing that suggests that Hornady Critical Defense (FTX) rounds will reliably expand, but they just barely meet FBI standards for minimum penetration. I was thinking about going old school for an old school revolver: Buffalo Bore or Underwood make some old fashioned lead SWCHP, and also some hot loaded wadcutters and SWC. However, I am a bit concerned about over penetration with those rounds. Even with target loaded SWC that many companies make, without an expanding bullet, I'm a bit worried that it may penetrate too much.​
    This Johnny-come-lately says probably not. Mainly useful for a midnight go to along with an ole pump action. Both types may give an intruder an announcement of preparedness and each offers unique applications for home defense.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This Johnny-come-lately says probably not. Mainly useful for a midnight go to along with an ole pump action. Both types may give an intruder an announcement of preparedness and each offers unique applications for home defense.
    "Announcing your preparedness" with a pump shotgun is not a smart tactic. You announce that you are armed and announce where you are. Why would you give up that much information?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Snip..........

Ammo:
    For ammo, since there is a good chance that hollow points won't expand, I was thinking about Underwood Extreme Defenders, but I don't see a lot of tests to reassure me that over penetration won't be an issue. I have seen some testing that suggests that Hornady Critical Defense (FTX) rounds will reliably expand, but they just barely meet FBI standards for minimum penetration. I was thinking about going old school for an old school revolver: Buffalo Bore or Underwood make some old fashioned lead SWCHP, and also some hot loaded wadcutters and SWC. However, I am a bit concerned about over penetration with those rounds. Even with target loaded SWC that many companies make, without an expanding bullet, I'm a bit worried that it may penetrate too much.​
    Reloading has been mentioned and that offers more opportunities to get both the expansion and the penetration you might want because you have a wider choice of bullets you can use and you can tailor the velocity to both the firearm and the bullet. Another post mentioned the lack of bullet development for .44 caliber at .44 Special velocities. You can cast your own bullets and by choosing the mold design and the alloy used vary the expansion/penetration characteristics.

MP-Molds has a number of molds for .44 caliber bullets:

And some of the designs offer a choice of hollow point designs, for example the

MP 432-256 PB HP 4 cavity mold

comes with pins for a choice of hollow point designs for a small round, big round or penta (5 sided) cavity as well as a flat meplat solid.

essence1st

Disarmed by complacency.
    Oct 21, 2022
    Md
    "Announcing your preparedness" with a pump shotgun is not a smart tactic. You announce that you are armed and announce where you are. Why would you give up that much information?
    I’ve never been faced with it. We keep her locked and loaded (and of course encumbered by all the legal requirements to keep it inaccessible and impracticable to the family and myself in case of emergency)

I don’t know that I would, but I know that I could. The suspense may get the best of me. I’m more ready to get it on than wait to see what’s coming.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I have always wanted a Charter Arms 44 spl just. The revolver looks small enough to carry concealed and it packs a bigger punch than a 38 spl. Sure there are drawbacks but I woudn't feel unarmed carrying one.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Discharging the CA Bulldog in 44 Special I had wasn’t an issue. IIRC, it was about like a heavier 38. I reasoned if I carry a five shot I’d rather have 44 moreso than 38. I just couldn’t accept the skipping the chamber index when shooting fast.

Last edited:

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    The decision to own or carry a firearm is up to each individual. I don't care what someone's personal feelings are, as long as it's not transferred to others as enforcement.
    I have not carried as part of my job(s) and have rarely carried a revolver.
    Given all the quality small pistols available, I can't see an advantage of a small revolver.
    I have a few small wheelguns (model 36 and model 13, etc).
    I'm practicing/training to get comfortable with a Hellcat to carry now.
    I am far more accurate with less than 150 rounds through the Hellcat than I am with that old model 36 in single action.
    The pistol fills the same role. It's just better. More powerful std pressure, thinner, lighter, more than twice the capacity, more accurate and faster reloading.
    Still like me revolvers though.

essence1st

Disarmed by complacency.
    Oct 21, 2022
    Md
    Discharging the CA Bulldog in 44 Special I had wasn’t an issue. IIRC, it was about like a heavier 38. I reasoned if I carry a five shot I’d rather have 44 moreso than 38. I just couldn’t accept the skipping the chamber index when shooting fast.
    Ours is a cheap ole Taurus (not snub nose). Never had that kind of problem with ours. Probably just a manufacturing defect in that model.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I have always wanted a Charter Arms 44 spl just. The revolver looks small enough to carry concealed and it packs a bigger punch than a 38 spl. Sure there are drawbacks but I woudn't feel unarmed carrying one.

The frame size and cylinder diameter is similar to the Colt Detective Special .

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Background:
    I have long wanted (over 20 years) to buy a Taurus 431. The one time I won one on Gunbroker (around 20 years ago), I didn't make much money and just after my bid I had a huge unexpected expense and worked out with the seller that I could cancel the sale by paying the Gunbroker fees (the gun was only $200 something at the time). Since then, I was often hesitant to pull the trigger when the prices had doubled, and when I got used to the higher prices I just had other priorities. Well, lately I've been revamping my collection, selling some guns I don't really want (some didn't really fit what I bought them for, others were cheaper guns than what I wanted for a particular niche, others I just stopped shooting/liking so much) and buying guns I always wanted but never bought. I recently won a Gunbroker auction for a 2.5" Taurus 431 (it should be at my FFL any day now).

So, I now have a .44spl. It is a good carry size (K-frame sized 2.5" barrel), though not for everyday carry. However, most .44 cal hollow points are designed around the .44mag. Unlike .38 vs. .357 where there is enough of a .38spl defensive market to develop separate bullets that are optimized for both sets of velocities, many/most .44 cal bullets are not. So, many .44spl hollow points do not open up and can have issues with over penetration.

On to the questions...

As the title says, if you have a .44spl, would you carry it? Would you use it for home defense? If you would, what round would you use?

Pros:
    -I like a larger bore and low pressure round, especially for home defense. The lower noise level (even if marginal) may do a little less hearing damage if shot in a defensive situation without hearing protection, while still having the potential of being relatively effective.
    -Now that I can carry everyday, I'm finding that I like carrying a revolver more than I thought I would and often find myself with my Taurus 85CH, Taurus 856 or Colt King Cobra and sometimes two of them at a time. A larger bore addition would be nice.
    -I bought it because I wanted one for years, not specifically to use as a carry gun (I have quite a few options). However, it first caught my eye (20+ years ago) as a potential carry and home defense gun.
    -It is a little different. OK, that maybe isn't a good rational reason to carry it, but sometimes just wanting to pick something a little different is enough for every now and then (though not for everyday).
    -As a .44cal, even if hollow points don't expand, it would still create a reasonable sized hole (comparable to some of the lesser 9mm JHPs when they expand).
    -When I'm in the mood to carry a big bore revolver, it is much smaller than my N-frame S&W 625 Mountain Gun.

Cons:
    -A lot of the positive changes in ammo development seem to have missed .44spl which seems to be seen by the ammo manufacturers as mainly a "cowboy" caliber and defensive uses are at best an afterthought.
    -If a hollow point doesn't expand, over penetration is a concern (especially when used for home defense or in close quarters).
    -It doesn't really do anything that my .45LC can't do (and there has been some development of defensive rounds in that caliber).
    -A K-frame sized gun is a little on the large size for carry, especially for a gun that only has a 5 round capacity.
    -This is my first 2.5" K-frame sized gun so I don't have a holster for it, adding to my costs (in the past, all the K-frames I've owned have been 3" or 4" and the only one I currently have is a 3").

Ammo:
    Didn’t catch your appreciation comment on the 431 at first read and thought I’d share. I’ve had a Taurus 441 6” for about 20 years now, it’s a great revolver, mine is an early/mid 90’s production with the old school bluing. Brought it out to photograph with my recent .44mag pickup last month, also a Taurus that I picked up for a song.

I was handloading about 10yrs ago for it using 240gr Hornady JHP with Titegroup powder. Still have a box of those rounds.

Attachments

• 7F467C40-4402-4788-B17D-1F99CFF41750.jpeg
      7F467C40-4402-4788-B17D-1F99CFF41750.jpeg
      542.7 KB · Views: 36

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Would and have carried a .38 J frame, so a .44 would be fine. Reloading would not be an issue if I can find cases and primers. Not my first choice, but can make it work. I think to much emphasis is placed on capacity. Maybe makes sense for those who get paid to run towards danger, for most you’re more likely to need a fire extinguisher than a firearm day to day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom