• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    $80k gets you a nice little adventure cabin on 0.95ac right near the Greenbrier River and Greenbrier River Rail Trail. It is out of the floodplain according to the listing agent. It was built in 1925 and the location tells me it was likely either a logging or railroad home. That's a beautiful area of the state, and if you're a fan of classic steam engines, you don't get much better of a location since you're right downstream from Cass.

You're in the "NRAO Quiet Zone" so no cell phones to bother you. Good ol' fashioned dry-copper land-line is the only way to go. Internet would have to be DSL, HughesNet, or Starlink. Not enough land to set up a shooting range or anything, but you're right next to Seneca State Forest and you have the river right there.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/138-Paddock-Ln-Dunmore-WV-24934/2066554819_zpid/

Abagnale

Jan 27, 2022
    Good luck finding anything reasonable at this point. People are still of the belief that they will get top dollar for their crappy run down places.
    A neighbor of mine wants almost $750,000 for his crappy place that needs at least $100,000 of work. Granted he does have 20 acres of land but still... You'd be better off just buying land and building a new property perhaps.
    Tomorrow mortgage rates will climb closer to 5%.
    Things are still ridiculous!

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Good luck finding land with the mineral rights in WV.

Not hard at all of you aren't on one of the major southern coal seams or an especially rich section of the marcellus shale. The vast majority of the state still conveys most mineral, timber, and water rights with the deed.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Right across the border from Winchester. 15+ acres and a GORGEOUS house.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Nice place, Judging by the 300 days on the market though it looks like 900K is way too high.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Not that kind of HOA. HOAs in places like this are "Everybody kicks in $450/year to get the plowing done and fix the pot holes.'
    You sure about that? Theres a development in gerrardstown wv where most homes have 3+ acres a couple have 10+ and due to hoa rules they cant shoot, hunt or ride atvs on their own property.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    If you go to this site: https://www.4wvland.com and check the listings they show the HOA rules for the property (see the tab marked DOCs). Common restrictions are: minimum square footage of a structure, no mobile homes, limited use of campers on the lot, no discharge of firearms, etc.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I found the covenants for that house/development. No discharging firearms except for hunting and only if you have 20 or more acres. That’s a big no go for me then at any price. Plus can only have 12 chickens.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

An illustration of the issues with the 'no expenses spared dream home'.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I found the covenants for that house/development. No discharging firearms except for hunting and only if you have 20 or more acres. That’s a big no go for me then at any price. Plus can only have 12 chickens.

that further explains why it has been sitting for so long then. 15 acres is nice but there is zero chance I would buy it if I cant shoot. Not everyone would care about that but I bet a good percentage of people looking at lots that size in that area would care.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    As for the hunting and shooting on your own property aspect: While it's really cool to get your first deer in your PJs shooting off your back deck, to get something without hunting restrictions, you may have to make compromises in location, accessibility, utilities and neighbors.
    Particularly if you are looking at this as a retirement property, keep in mind that plowing that 1/2 mi gravel Rd with the tractor now is no big deal, it's more of a big deal when you are 74 and you need to get your wife to her surgery appointment in Morgantown at 0730h.
    It may make more sense to get a home in a development (still much less restrictive than MD or NoVA) and a piece of recreational land in the nearby hills in addition. Some truly unbuildable land goes for very little money.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    As for the hunting and shooting on your own property aspect: While it's really cool to get your first deer in your PJs shooting off your back deck, to get something without hunting restrictions, you may have to make compromises in location, accessibility, utilities and neighbors.
    Particularly if you are looking at this as a retirement property, keep in mind that plowing that 1/2 mi gravel Rd with the tractor now is no big deal, it's more of a big deal when you are 74 and you need to get your wife to her surgery appointment in Morgantown at 0730h.
    It may make more sense to get a home in a development (still much less restrictive than MD or NoVA) and a piece of recreational land in the nearby hills in addition. Some truly unbuildable land goes for very little money.
    Yep. Also, this piece of property isn't far from many state hunting lands. Add in the fact that there are tons of free shooting ranges in WV and the need to have a range in your backyard isn't nearly as pressing as it is in MD or VA. I remember when I first moved to MD and was flabbergasted that I had to PAY to go shooting. Growing up in Charleston, WV I had the luxury of having the Kanawha State Forest practically in my backyard, and the state-maintained free 100-yard range with covered benches located there was just a part of life.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Yep. Also, this piece of property isn't far from many state hunting lands. Add in the fact that there are tons of free shooting ranges in WV and the need to have a range in your backyard isn't nearly as pressing as it is in MD or VA. I remember when I first moved to MD and was flabbergasted that I had to PAY to go shooting. Growing up in Charleston, WV I had the luxury of having the Kanawha State Forest practically in my backyard, and the state-maintained free 100-yard range with covered benches located there was just a part of life.

Hunting pressure on public lands is also less than what you see in most areas of MD. Some of these public hunting areas are thousands of acres. Most hunters are lazy and will only hunt within a short distance from their pickup so if you are willing to hike in, you will have an area to yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom