• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    For any frat to be successful and freshmen to survive their rush, you've got to have a good rush chairman.

View attachment 136104

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'll be brief. The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with our female party guests - we did.

But you can't hold a whole fraternity responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole fraternity system? And if the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, Greg - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!"
    One of the best defense arguments ever! :D

jasonk1229

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2013
    MD
    WVU was a shit show I went to frostburg we visited when we really wanted to party. The only rule is don't have a container on the sidewalk anywhere else is fine. They like to burn things when they play football. One of my friends has a metal face implant from getting in a fight. 2 guys I went to high school with failed out their first semester at WVU, one was my first roomate at Frostburg. Some A+ tail too.

Honestly I think the altitude of that entire area causes you to get more drunk than normal. Any friends that visited always had a great time haha.

Frats at schools like UMD and WVU are different from where I went ours were little drinking clubs those big ones are drama clubs. If they don't allow them they still go on just no on campus activities. Sports teams do the same shit in fact I think the frostburg girls lax team had the same kind of problem. I loved college

I still can't believe how many people I saw piss their beds repeatedly

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Got some scoop from my Nephew that graduated and was a member of a fraternity at WVU a few years back. Apparently the young guy consumed a large amount of alcohol and had gone into another room alone. No one ever checked on him and when someone finally went into the room he was unresponsive. They are saying that the senior members were suppose to keep an eye on him so it does sound like some sort of hazing incident and there have been 3 arrests made, according to my source.

dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province
    There are a couple that happen every fall, at various schools. I don't think WVU is any better or worse as far as partying goes than most colleges. I'd feel safer in Morgantown wandering around drunk than in College Park, for damn sure.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    There are a couple that happen every fall, at various schools. I don't think WVU is any better or worse as far as partying goes than most colleges. I'd feel safer in Morgantown wandering around drunk than in College Park, for damn sure.

Agreed. This stuff went on 30 years ago when I was at College Park.

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Doesn't WVU have the dubious honor of being the nation's #1 party school?

I went to a college fair at CCBC about 9 years ago and I walked up the WVU table and asked "What makes your college different from all over the other schools?"

-"Well, we have great white water rafting"

I laughed and walked to the next table :)

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    most useful part of my education at College park was my Frat house life. SAM 85.
    The degree is a ticket punched, how to deal with people is important

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I was in a fraternity at WVU IN THE 80's and my wife was in a sorority. My daughter is in a sorority there now. The parties were larger at the fraternity house, but people didn't get drunker or more out of control than my dorm floor friends or my old hometown friends.

If I was going to pick a root cause it would be kids coming to college and being turned loose without ever learning to drink in moderation.

I don't have any idea if hazing was involved in this incident or not. If it was then that's wrong and those responsible should be punished, but my definition of hazing involves coercion rather than just providing opportunity.

One of the interesting things I thought about this morning while talking to my daughter about it was that she was having a weird mixture of emotions being sad for the tragedy and the young man who passed away and also feeling put on the defensive and having to explain herself because of the school she goes to and the groups she's part of. It reminded me of being a gun owner after a mass shooter.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Does Dunc's chili, the 'pour house (a somewhat clandestine location that was open after all the other bars closed)', or 'death dogs' sound familiar to you?

Duncan's burned a few months ago, there's a dumpster out front on main street so I assume they're trying to get it back up and running.
    Diamonds lounge closed up about a year ago or so.
    The poor house, I'm not sure about, but I do know the long time owner died awhile ago.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    We may have gotten drunk together. The time frame is right. With the places that you mentioned, I doubt that either one of us would remember. :D
    Let's not forget the remote possibility that we may have attended some classes together too. :lol2::lol: I also have very fond memories of fishing at New Germany State Park and Deep Creek Lake (hunting too). Family still has a cabin up there.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Duncan's burned a few months ago, there's a dumpster out front on main street so I assume they're trying to get it back up and running.
    Diamonds lounge closed up about a year ago or so.
    The poor house, I'm not sure about, but I do know the long time owner died awhile ago.
    Thanks for the update! Our wedding reception was at Diamond's Lounge (we were dirt poor, paid for it ourselves ($100), and knew the owners). I see that Giuseppe's Italian Restaurant is still up and running. I remember when it was a dive bar with the cheapest drinks in town and the owner (a recent FSC MBA graduate) bought it and turned it into an upscale restaurant.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Sad story no matter what college campus you hear it happening on but being a WVU guy it makes it all the worse. Met my wife in Morgantown and have a ton of friends that went there too. Sad story that will paint the school in an ugly light.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Thanks for the update! Our wedding reception was at Diamond's Lounge (we were dirt poor, paid for it ourselves ($100), and knew the owners). I see that Giuseppe's Italian Restaurant is still up and running. I remember when it was a dive bar with the cheapest drinks in town and the owner (a recent FSC MBA graduate) bought it and turned it into an upscale restaurant.

I was a bouncer at Diamonds a few years ago on dime draft night, I know the family pretty good and they asked if I would after Bill got stabbed there on draft night.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    OP, I think every college/university experiences its share of tragedies. In the Senior Dorms we had a guy drink too much and decide to run down the stairway and into the glass wall. I guess he thought it wouldn't break. It did. He fell several stories and died.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I was going to say the same thing. I had a close friend at WVU in the late 80's and I visited a number of times. It was off the hook. That's why I kept visiting :party29:

By the way if anyone thinks this isn't happening on every campus is just kidding themselves. Individual responsibility should be the name of the game here.

Disagree with the above statement. there are still a few schools where kids actually learn something, such as MIT, JHU, Caltech.

dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province
    Right. It goes on at these schools as well.

The kids at Hopkins just have access to IVs to rehydrate.

Trust me, it goes on there too.

I do agree with whoever said that a lot of it has to do with kids that have never had any freedom before college. I'd never had more than a beer or two before college but I had a car and job and bills and I did my fair share of partying, only took being sick that one time to wise up. Unfortunately, this kid probably had a bad reaction and died.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom