• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    he was entitled to mandatory release because he had earned prison credit for good behavior.

Here is a big part of the crime problem right here. The sentence should be full term and not a day less.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It has almost become a mantra of mine in light of recent events and proposed legislation:

"When seconds count, the police are just minutes away."

If she had been armed, that jerk would have learned really quickly that it was a wrong move to bring a knife to a gunfight.

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    Here is a big part of the crime problem right here. The sentence should be full term and not a day less.

Stephen Pitcairn's family would be a lot happier if this was true. And many other murdered Marylandes, killed by violent aholes we let out early everyday.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    I get the impression the writer wants me to believe she was killed by a jealous ex lover...and I did until I got to this paragraph.

Police and prosecutors say they had gone to great lengths to keep Shiflett away from Hadel. State's Attorney Scott Shellenberger's office successfully advocated two years ago against his parole for a 2007 robbery he committed with Hadel

...Hadel had testified against him in the robbery case, and he had already violated parole once by threatening her, according to court records.

I think he was pissed she testified against him. Especially since she was a part of the robbery.

Not blaming the victim...just pointing something out.

jlp429

Dec 1, 2011
    Wow! heard movement and waited for special tactical unit and force their way in!!!!

Well, maybe that's why she died.........

Nothing against the "police" but i am not gonna sit and wait for help. Be proactive, protect your family and yourself!

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    I love police, I think they do a fine job. However, until the government decides to pay for a police officer to watch my house whenever I'm home and/or asleep I think I'll hold on to my firearms rather than relying on them to protect me, thank you.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I worked at a fire station in Hillendale, Baltimore Co. One morning about 7:30 a naked woman banged on the front door, screaming to get inside. She told a story of being tied up all night in her apartment across the street by a dude called "Slick". The County tactical team showed up to make entry somewhere around noon while I was eating my lunch.

ocsnapper

Nov 17, 2012
    Pittsville
    This line tells you how much the police can protect you..

"She also said police had "failed" her daughter because they had not found Shiflett earlier, and because "the only thing they could tell us was to move.""

Not to but blame on the police they just do not have the resources to protect every one 24/7. That's why we need to be able to protect our selfs when they can not.

risk

Dec 7, 2011
    Last year, I woke up to the siren of my security system going off. Police were called. I'm still waiting for them to show up.

which is why paying for security monitoring is a waste of money IMO. Just keep the system active but not connected to monitoring.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Two events dramatically shaped my 2A views:

1) Hurricane Katrina
    2) Getting a busy signal while calling 911

You don't have to use your imagination to think of reasons DC could be off the grid for weeks at a time. We recently added earthquakes to the list (Aug 2011)!

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    Not to change the topic but after reading the story (and taking into consideration it was from the Sun), this is a good reason to uphold the death penalty in Maryland.

This line tells you how much the police can protect you..

"She also said police had "failed" her daughter because they had not found Shiflett earlier, and because "the only thing they could tell us was to move.""

Not to but blame on the police they just do not have the resources to protect every one 24/7. That's why we need to be able to protect our selfs when they can not.

It doesn't matter if there are a dozen armed criminals beating your front door in. You're still safer if you're unarmed, because that gun could have jumped out of its drawer and killed you at any time, long before the criminals showed up. You're better off calling 911 and then trying to reason with the bad guys until whenever the police show up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom