• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I love the platform. When I was sworn into my first PD many years ago I was initially issued a Beretta 92 FS, which was later replaced by the Beretta 96. I have a big hand so I replaced the stock grip with a hogue grips (with the finger grooves) and absolutely loved the gun. I thought it was extremely reliable, accurate, and fit my hand like a glove.

As others have said, its definitely not the best choice for concealed carry. However if you get one at a good price, you wont regret it. If you dont have a good price Id save up a little bit more and either get the 92X or M9A4. You get better sights, a rail and some other nice upgrades that dont detract from the original platform.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    When the mil picked it up and many PDs started using it, I had to have one. Got a bunch of mags, a few different holsters. Tried hard to like it and never could. Never shot it well and didn't really like the feel of it. Couldn't sell it soon enough. The friend I sold it to LOVES it. Go figure...

ChesterW8

Mar 31, 2023
    Washington DC
    I used an M9 my entire career. I could hit 5 inch groupings at 25 yards. overall it is an outdated design but certainly has earned its place in the hall of fame

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    This thread made me want to go shoot mine, so I did, today. It's a damn fine shooter. I think it will always be a damn fine shooter. If your hand is big enough to get a good grip and you aren't a sissy boy, is a lot of fun. All that mass makes it easy to stay on target, too.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Made in Italy
    Bought new in the late 80's - early 90's in Charleston, SC when the base was still open down there.

It's a big gun size wise.....a handful.

Used to shoot it a lot - I don't ever recall a jam or misfeed.

Beretta 92 .jpg

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    For as iconic as they are, I don’t think I’ve ever even held one.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I sold the one my dad gave me. Like many others, I couldn't hit the side of a barn. Any other pistol has been more accurate in my hands.

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    I bought my now ex wife one. It was a sweet anniversary version or something. Flat black finish, silver barrel, trigger and controls. It was NIB unfired in a box at a gun show in the late 90s. The ex could shoot equally well left or right handed and loved it. She's 5'-3" with not overly large hands. When she emptied the house while I was at work, she didn't have access to the gun safe and I just said no when she asked for it in the divorce agreement. It's sat in the new gun safe since 2006 (out grew the old one) and hasn't been shot since around 2001. Seems like it is time to take it to the range.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I bought one years ago knowing it's what similar to what my deceased brother carried for a bit in the service. I never really shot it a bunch until a few years back, and then it really grew on me.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    People certainly have their druthers regarding guns. I love the Beretta 9mm design and could never afford the stainless version. That's why I got the Taurus version. It is a bit flashy, but it is substantially less expensive and the Taurus has a better safety system (hammer drop and cock 'n lock).

The slide issue only was a problem with the military M9, as I've never heard of any civilian failures. In the late 80s, Taurus was advertising that its metallurgy was superior to Beretta's, even the civilian models. I've never seen that documented, though.

In the later-80s, I got a S&W 659 and then later a 5906. Of the two, I liked the 659 a bit better, though there's not much of a difference between the two.

ChesterW8

Mar 31, 2023
    Washington DC
    People certainly have their druthers regarding guns. I love the Beretta 9mm design and could never afford the stainless version. That's why I got the Taurus version. It is a bit flashy, but it is substantially less expensive and the Taurus has a better safety system (hammer drop and cock 'n lock).

The slide issue only was a problem with the military M9, as I've never heard of any civilian failures. In the late 80s, Taurus was advertising that its metallurgy was superior to Beretta's, even the civilian models. I've never seen that documented, though.

In the later-80s, I got a S&W 659 and then later a 5906. Of the two, I liked the 659 a bit better, though there's not much of a difference between the two.
    The military M9’s never really had “issues”. The ones that had trouble were the pistols which were extremely worn out from extensive use and dry fire training. My first M9 was half silver because essentially all the finish was worn off.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    First pistol I bought was 92FS because it shot the best for me when I was trying out demo guns at the range. Then I got a 1911, then a Glock, then a MK 22/45, then a S&W 629, then another Glock, A couple more Glocks, and then some other pistols. Only pistol I ever got rid of was a CZ SP-01 tactical. I just couldn't get myself to like it, not enough slide purchase and way too heavy. IMO

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    Bump.

Here's my blued Beretta 9FS, Italian-made, which I left out for John McClane this year.

I really like the Italian 92FS. I have the blue and the Inox.

Same. I have a tendency to buy blued and silver versions of most of my handguns. I owned the INOX first.

Attachments

• IMG_2907.jpg
      IMG_2907.jpg
      389.8 KB · Views: 64
    • IMG_2908.jpg
      IMG_2908.jpg
      386.8 KB · Views: 60

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have a 99T, adjustable sighted Taurus. Same pistol as the Beretta except the ambi safety is on the frame. I shot a Beretta 92FS a bit and the two guns handle identically.

Shooting the recoil is distributed along a wider swatch of hand than thinner pistols. This results in mild recoil with a pleasant roll to it. 15 yards and in it is quite accurate. The DA and SA trigger pull are quite decent for a stock gun. Grip panels are kindling grade. The Beretta’s grip oanels are nicer.

The 92’s are blocky. The bore axis is high over the hand…old school design. I actually went through a grip frame and grip panel reduction process on mine. It is more holder friendly and pleasant to transition from target to target.

This or a Beretta 92, I would carry safety off…if I carried it.

For the size of the pistol I would pick up my Para Ordnance P9-18 because of the better handling and pointing qualities. It is not as blocky as well.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    To me a Beretta 92 is a big pistol for only a 9mm hole in the barrel. But I’m so accustomed to a 1911 any other self-loader doesn’t feel right in my hand. I’m sure use would gain more familiarity and comfort in that regard but I also don’t feel compelled to do so. Part of my issue is that I simply do not like slide mounted safeties.

I’ve owned several models of the 92 and one Taurus PT99…ended up selling them all. The one I still have is a M9A3 still NIB…it just sits in the safe until I decide what to do with it.

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    I bought my now ex wife one. It was a sweet anniversary version or something. Flat black finish, silver barrel, trigger and controls. It was NIB unfired in a box at a gun show in the late 90s. The ex could shoot equally well left or right handed and loved it. She's 5'-3" with not overly large hands. When she emptied the house while I was at work, she didn't have access to the gun safe and I just said no when she asked for it in the divorce agreement. It's sat in the new gun safe since 2006 (out grew the old one) and hasn't been shot since around 2001. Seems like it is time to take it to the range.
    In the end, they want everything including your soul.

airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    Old thread. Just an interesting note. When my son was on a weekend leave from Ft. Bragg (years ago) I took him and a buddy to my pistol club to shoot steel. One of the pistols we shot was a Beretta 92 FS. Both remarked how easy the mag release operated compared to the ones they were issued. I was like WTF? Apparently, the 82nd Airborne had no mandated routine cleaning/lube procedure for the mag release. A serious issue in Iraq. Back at home, I showed them the detailed strip procedure (with the caveat "do not do this in the field"); and the simple "remove both grips and hose it down with WD40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom