• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm grasping at straws? But now you're saying 22lr is the same as 9mm?

Only a half step farther down the same road for the school of thought of :

Bet you wouldn't want to get shot with it .
    It doesn't matter anyway , you probably never use it , and if you do it will be 3 feet away .
    XYZ doesn't kick
    A gun in this caliber is so effortless to carry , it's almost like not carrying a gun.

A hit from anything will make BG fall down or run away.
    All calibers perform about the same , it doesn't matter.
    Plus undoubtedly some more cliches.

The related more thoughtful concept is yeah , it's not as effective, but it's an acceptable tradeoff . ( Sometimes true , but probably not as often as many people think it is . Subcompact Polymer 9mm , and subcompact .32acp were actually a paradigm shift in this regards .)

The one above about most calibers being about the same could be relevant with a couple of astrix .

Has to meet a baseline of enough ( your term for Ummph ) to be reasonably adequate for intended purpose.

And used good design ammunition reasonably suited for intended purposes.

i.e. 9mm , .40 , and .45acp with any of the top 6 or 10 respective defensive/ Duty ammo , will be reasonably adequate for defense/ Duty, with probably negligible marginal differences .

The debate is where is the floor for reasonably adequate for a primary Defense pistol. And in matter at hand is which side .380 falls . Is it the least of the " reasonably adequate " calibers , or the King of the Mice ?

[ I know where I think the Floor is , but almost don't want to say .]

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Thanks to everyone, appreciate the responses, for those who have the 365, have you shot a 238 and which do you feel is better

If I * had * to carry a SA .380 , it would be a Colt .380 Government.

But I'm not forced to carry a .380 , and I don't. I either go bigger or smaller.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    If you want to carry a .380 instead of a modern micro 9 then at least do it with some style and class.

"Walther PPK. 7.65 mm with a delivery like a brick through a plate-glass window. Takes a Brausch silencer with little reduction in muzzle velocity. The American CIA swear by them." ~ Major Boothroyd

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I was biting my tongue to not say that .32acp was actually better choice than .380 , and then you had to post that .

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I was biting my tongue to not say that .32acp was actually better choice than .380 , and then you had to post that .
    Did someone say .32ACP??

In my preferred pocket carry setup, of course…

IMG_5680.jpeg

(Next, Python gonna tell me bout how he only carries a Glock 17 with 5 extra mags in case he ends up reenacting the battle of Fallujah. (I only carried 2 extra on my belt , standard 7 mag M4 load out of on my LBV but a couple more M4 mags in my rucksack))

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Screenshot_20240314-170253_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240314-170402_Chrome.jpg

Internet pics , not mine specifically. My Guardian wears the walnut grips .

One of them is full size ( for .32acp , but overlaps compact 9mm , but thinner .

The other is as compact as they get , albeit heavier than subsequent polymer .32 of same size , but still light in absolute sense .

Frankly TOO Small for my XXL hands , but at the time , I wanted to explore the absolutely smallest pistol in worthwhile caliber . If NAA made a .32acp Guardian on their .380 frame, I'd get one .

FWIW - My take is that in real world performance, bullet type for bullet type , .32acp is very close to .380acp . Take that as you will how much is my being a booster of .32 , or slamming .380 .

For essentially same performance, 1/3 less recoil , better accuracy, more velocity from similar bbl lengths , better sectional density , better penetration.

No , a .32 isn't a replacement for .357 Magnum. But if I am stepping below 9mm or .38 Special ,

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom